What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

Clyde Mays with an ice ball. It is definitely the strangest whiskey I have had in awhile, but, I dig it. What are everyone's thoughts on ol Clyde?

Woodford Reserve Malt Whiskey, the one not aged in new charred barrels. The spirit itself is of high quality, soft and rich but it's too young, it has the same bread dough flavour all the other releases have (that I've tasted) from the Versailles still. It needs years more aging and then would be an outstanding malt IMO. Very similar to many craft distillers' output.

Gary

Woodford Reserve Malt Whiskey, the one not aged in new charred barrels. The spirit itself is of high quality, soft and rich but it's too young, it has the same bread dough flavour all the other releases have (that I've tasted) from the Versailles still. It needs years more aging and then would be an outstanding malt IMO. Very similar to many craft distillers' output.

Gary

Makes me concerned for the proposed PHC malt whiskey although it is likely more like the Woodford malt in new oak. Perhaps a column still distillate will stand up better? The current rumor as I recall was only 6 years old and new oak.

• 2 weeks later...

Kicking off the weekend with some PHC8. I don't know why I've been neglecting this bottle. It's great.

A nice, soft rain..temp about 70, sittin on the patio, listening to the Reds, sipping on a refrigerated MC. A righteous Sunday afternoon

A nice, soft rain..temp about 70, sittin on the patio, listening to the Reds, sipping on a refrigerated MC. A righteous Sunday afternoon

The Reds delivered for once. (Though I live in Seattle, I resided in Cincy for 22 years and am a lifelong Reds fan).

Enough of you have spoken well of MC to convince me to give it a whirl.

Dug a GD 9yr out of the bunker and enjoyed several fine pours last night. This with a doubt the best Tenn whiskey ever bottled.

Will say I think I will be getting some GD 9 yr old. Never tried it before. Also, want to try Pritchard's Tennessee Whiskey.

Will say I think I will be getting some GD 9 yr old. Never tried it before. Also, want to try Pritchard's Tennessee Whiskey.

I've always felt GD12 is head and shoulders above any JD offering but GD 9yr takes it to another level. If you ever have the chance you need to pick up a bottle, or two, or three..........

Had a nice pour of Gentleman Jack as I work to make room in the cabinet.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the penultimate pour from a bottle of Whippersnapper. Very piney and a bit medicinal with little spice.

• 2 weeks later...

Koval Millet whiskey.

Koval%20millet_zpsbguffpqa.jpg

I'm a sucker for whiskey made from non-traditional grains and mashbills.

Edited by chasking

Time to settle down for the night and for some reason my occasional winter nightcap kept shoving it's way into my thoughts. So just poured a glass of Spirits of St. Louis Vermont Night. Malt whiskey based liqueur with some spices and maple syrup. Very different but quite tasty in moderation.

So just poured a glass of Spirits of St. Louis Vermont Night. Malt whiskey based liqueur with some spices and maple syrup. Very different but quite tasty in moderation.

Was in St Louis for work last month and grabbed a bottle of Spirits of St. Louis JJ Neukomm Malt Whiskey. Haven't cracked it open yet, but once I finish up the last few pours from a couple bottles in the liquor cabinet I'm going to break the seal and give it a taste. Sounds interesting.... Single malt American whiskey made from malt smoked using a wood mix containing 25% cherry and aged in small Missouri white oak casks. I'll report back when I've given it a thorough sampling.

Had my first pour of Stranahan's on Saturday. I actually had to return the first bottle because the metal cap thing would not come off. The whiskey is good, very toasty. I imagine it will taste better in chilly December or January.

Sipped on a store select GD 9yr all afternoon and evening. Bottle is almost empty and each pour was better than the last so I am forced to buy a case of this while I still can.

Pitchforked 6 cubic yard of compost (bin 3 into empty bin 4 then full bin 2 into bin 3 then full bin 1 into bin 2). THEN, since it is 95 or better (although I was working under some trees), I poured some Bernheim over an ice cube, let the cube melt, then sipped.

We had some Mellow Corn over the weekend which was purchased for no particular reason. Tried it neat and was surprised by the amount of heat, so much that the alcohol harshness completely covered up the subtleties of the corn whisky. Had to cleanse my palate with some Old Grand Dad.