What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Amen to what Paul said.  I like it after yard work on hot days when I don't want to get sleepy and don't feel like having [another] beer.  It's refreshing with a couple of cubes; just be sure it's a hefty pour.  Plus, that subtlety means my palate is back to neutral an hour or so later. 

You guys are going to make me buy one of these. I've been THAT close so many times. Summer is coming so a light refreshing pour is good to have around.

23 hours ago, flahute said:

You guys are going to make me buy one of these. I've been THAT close so many times. Summer is coming so a light refreshing pour is good to have around.

Steve,

They've really been marking this down around here of late, so you'll have to grab one when you make your annual trek to the motherland. 

I'm seeing it for $28-9 and change (Kroger) all over the commonwealth.  Prior to this recent anomaly, the normal price point has been $47-8 ish...

See how easy that was?  "Cause I'm a giver!  :D 

21 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Steve,

They've really been marking this down around here of late, so you'll have to grab one when you make your annual trek to the motherland. 

I'm seeing it for $28-9 and change (Kroger) all over the commonwealth.  Prior to this recent anomaly, the normal price point has been $47-8 ish...

See how easy that was?  "Cause I'm a giver!  :D 

I'll be seeing you in about 2 weeks and there's a Liquor Barn within walking distance of my hotel so.........one of these is in my near future.

A small pour of JDSBBP (130.5) with a rock, so tasty.  I got this bottle some time ago and almost went back for the other 2 bottles after I tasted it.  I later regretted not since it was the first time I had seen it in the wild but my new Kroger I go to has a few bottles of it so it hopefully won't be hard to replace once empty some day.

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of Joe, Steve (Flahute) and I had a pour of NAS Bernheim today (you know, just to see if we could get that dough thing).:D

I agree with Joe's astute observation that the mouthfeel does seem a bit fuller on the NAS (when compared to the age stated version), and the nose on this was nothing short of stellar! 

Oh, btw... we both agreed that the dough thing is there!  Overall, a subtle, smooth and satisfying pour it is.

Had a pour of Bernheim 7 year tonight neat with a side of ice water.  I like this whiskey.  Have a couple of bottles of PHC8 coming in the next few days so I will be anxious to taste it and compare with the 7 year old.

I tried Barrel Whiskey Batch 1 this evening for the first time thanks to Paddy. It's not available in these parts so he made sure I got one when I was visiting the Commonwealth last week. This is an odd one for sure (in theory, not the flavor). It's Indiana distilled and aged for 7 years in used barrels. It's bottled at barrel proof so this one is something like 122ish proof. (Too lazy to get up and go look at the bottle). I'd normally be skeptical, but Paddy loves this one and we've found that our palates our fairly well aligned so I was looking forward to this pour on his recommendation.

I have to say I'm impressed. It's not super complex because of the used barrels, but the flavors that are present are very well balanced and integrated and the barrel proof provides the adequate punch to remind you that this is American whiskey. It takes water very well without muting the flavors. I get strong vanilla and powdered sugar. I only had a small pour before running out to pick up dinner so there might be more too it that I didn't get to with that brief visit. Good thing I have a whole bottle to find out.

Thanks Paddy! This one is a winner.

^^^ I'm glad you enjoyed, Steve. ^^^ 

I've tried really hard not to like it, but, water added or not, what's not to like with a great American whiskey that tastes like a cross between red hot's and cream brulee!  :lol:

Cracked another BW 001 tonight, as I felt the need to make a new convert.  :D  It's really amazing what MGP @ barrel proof, a used barrel and a few years can do...

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Cracked another BW 001 tonight, as I felt the need to make a new convert.  :D  It's really amazing what MGP @ barrel proof, a used barrel and a few years can do...

If you start a new cult, I'm in.

13 hours ago, flahute said:

If you start a new cult, I'm in.

Are you allowed to be in more than one cult?

41 minutes ago, amg said:

Are you allowed to be in more than one cult?

Errrr........yes.......just don't tell the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Stunned by a revisit to a neglected bottle of Dickel 14 yr.  Gorgeously delicious.  As creamy a whiskey as I can remember.  

42 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Stunned by a revisit to a neglected bottle of Dickel 14 yr.  Gorgeously delicious.  As creamy a whiskey as I can remember.  

Normally I'd lament that your waxing poetic about a whiskey I don't have would be compelling me to go find one. Fortunately, the Dickel vitamin thing just gets me so I don't need to trip over myself trying to find one of these. Whew!

Trying to finish off this bottle.  Not bad in an Old Fashioned but I will not be purchasing this one again.

IMG_3560.jpg

Oh, no!  What is happening???  I'm starting to REALLY like the JD Barrel Proof (the 133 proof one) - two ounces with an ice cube bringing it down to about 95-99 proof by measure of a previously melted ice cube from the same ice machine.  If I'd found the JDBP thread before I found this one, I'd post there, too.  As I posted last week on that other thread when I tasted this for the first time,  THIS is what I remember JD Black tasting like in 1970.

Banana?  Is that slight aftertaste banana?  I HATE bananas.  Can't be.  Maybe it's that nougat they put in MaryJane candy bars - you know, those yellow with red striped rectangular things you got at Halloween.

^^^I agree, it's great whiskey Harry (and I don't get any banana note in it if I drink it above 100 proof)!  :lol:

As I sip on a slightly diluted pour of BW, batch 001 (probably around 115 proof).  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Bernheim 7 tonight.  Just a bit of water really opens this whiskey up very nicely.  Very enjoyable with a good after dinner smoke...

It is to me.  JD products have a very distinctive banana popsicle flavor to me.  I love banana popsicles as they remind me of when I was a kid but I don't like that flavor in my whiskey.

It is to me.  JD products have a very distinctive banana popsicle flavor to me.  I love banana popsicles as they remind me of when I was a kid but I don't like that flavor in my whiskey.

I don't get that taste as much in GJ, and not at all in the one pour of jdsb