What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

After a dinner of pork chops, hash, corn and most of a bottle of 1999 Ojai Pisoni Vineyard Pinot, I'm not counting on my palate to know heads from tails. So......some Dickel Juice (Barrel Select) with one rock for me tonight!

• 3 weeks later...

Westland American Single Malt Cask 274 at 54.95%. This is a solid effort from a craft distiller I'm just now discovering. It's overpriced for what it is, but most all crafts are overpriced. I'll be curious to try some more offerings like the sherried and peated versions. Coppered Tot has a good write up on some recent tastings

• 1 month later...

About 2/3 of my way through a Dickel 12 (not all in same night of course) and I'm loving it a little more each time.

Anybody tried Bain's Cape Mountain Whiskey? I have been seeing this around lately and I am intrigued.

Anybody tried Bain's Cape Mountain Whiskey? I have been seeing this around lately and I am intrigued.

Tasted it a few years back. Might have been an 80 proof bottle and not the 86 being sold at Binny's. A grain whiskey aged in bourbon barrels that is pleasant, light and sweet. At $30 it's stretching the value tab a bit. There are some professional reviews out there on it that vary some. Having tasted it before I have no reason to buy a bottle.

Tried it about a year ago in one of the Wednesday tastings. Pleasant enough with a light nutty flavor to me but not anything overly special. This bottle was from South Africa. I had heard it might be coming as I noted in my post but wasn't aware it was now in the US.

I just had my first taste of Michter's Ublended American Whiskey in a long time, and I detected a flavor element I've never tasted in whiskey before, that I can recall: green beans. Not what I was expecting. I note the post above about a butterscotch note; I didn't detect that. But I don't know how old this bottle is. (It was a gift.)

Over the weekend, had a taste of J. Rieger & Co. "Rieger's Kansas City Whiskey" that I really liked. It's a blend of 7yo+ sourced whiskies (corn, malt, rye) along with a small amount of sherry. Nicely balanced spice and sweetness @ 92 proof. Might just pick a bottle up @ $29 . . . cheers!

A buddy was exited to share, so I had a small pour of Bird Dog blackberry whiskey. Not good, but not bad. Probably would be pretty tasty on pancakes or ice cream, but not something I'd be caught with at the checkout counter!

Having a GREAT pour of George Dickel 9y store pick. I hope they bring the 14y back.
I echo this sentiment. Brought a 9yr to Friendsgiving tonight and it was a hit, but I loved the 14s I had even more

Fabulous whiskey with a nod to the 14 too. The best The Big Galoot (:cool:) has served us here in American whiskey and no orphan either :grin:. Should of bought a few more also.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a fellow SB'er.  Breckenridge Spiced Whiskey.  I never, never, ever drink flavored whiskey. I have to say, wow this is very good.  The aroma is full of winter spices, but they are not at all overpowering on the palate. Worth trying for sure. Very good. 

Balcones Blue Corn Bourbon, which makes a perfect partner for a raisiny malty beer I had beforehand.

Great stuff.

Christmas "true bourbon" selection was limited to JBWL, so opted for some simple JD.  Mellow sweetness went well with the kilotons of food being consumed

The family and I spent Christmas in Tennessee, and a life long friend came by one evening with a gift bottle of Gentleman Jack.  I honestly could not recall the last time I had GJ, but yes, the force (banana note) continues to be strong with this whiskey.  Thankfully, it did not overpower and also seemed to level out as I continued to consume it.  There were three of us in total, and the bottle did not survive the evening.  Good times!   

I had some gj today too and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was the seventh bottle we opened tonight though, so my taster was pretty shot!

• 1 month later...