What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

On November 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM, beasled said:

Love this stuff! 

20171102_201622.jpg

Nice. Tried the Brimstone which I thought was interesting to say the least. Pretty good at 92 proof?

47 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Nice. Tried the Brimstone which I thought was interesting to say the least. Pretty good at 92 proof?

For 92 this is excellent. I haven't had the True Blue (though I have a cask strength bottle somewhere) to compare but this under the right circumstances just hits the spot.

It was a Tate era bottling though so I can't vouch for the latest lot. 

Edit: I'll add that I much preferred this over the Number 1 single malt, which I thought was pretty bland and characterless. 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

For 92 this is excellent. I haven't had the True Blue (though I have a cask strength bottle somewhere) to compare but this under the right circumstances just hits the spot.

It was a Tate era bottling though so I can't vouch for the latest lot. 

Edit: I'll add that I much preferred this over the Number 1 single malt, which I thought was pretty bland and characterless. 

I haven't tried the single malt yet either but it rings true to what others have told me.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Brimstone myself this afternoon, my first non-blue-corn Balcones. I still burp soot :) But it was really original, I'll admit. Nothing like a peated whisky, and nothing less from Balcones.

I just can't imagine having another go at it before next week. I imagine this is how smokers feel every morning :)

Edit: I am the biggest fan of True Blue & Baby Blue if that wasn't obvious.

Edited by Kane

Man, waking up 8 hours later and still soot... It's decided, this is *the* whiskey with the longest finish. Or something in there broke my system.

My local shop has a Dickel 9 year single barrel at $29 so at that price I thought I'd give it a shot. Turned out to be a good buy and I'm headed back tomorrow for another. I like this with a little ice to bring the flavors forward.

Edited by Tucker
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time of year where I have to deal with the "back log", and by that I mean reducing the bunker down to a certain number of bottles.  One way to do that is to open bottles because then they are no longer part of the bunker...nice trick huh? ;)

Anyway, so one bottle I had earmarked to be opened was a bottle of Palmetto Whiskey.  Being more or less from South Carolina, I just had to buy this when I was down there.  So it's  pretty interesting.  Definitely young, and a somewhat funky flavor, but it's different which is nice.  And for a micro the price of admission wasn't bad....got the a 750ml bottle for under 30 bucks.

The Sorghum Whisky from High Wire is interesting.  An excellent educational bottle and a decent sipper too.  Wonder how this stuff would age? 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, Bourserker said:

It's that time of year where I have to deal with the "back log", and by that I mean reducing the bunker down to a certain number of bottles.  One way to do that is to open bottles because then they are no longer part of the bunker...nice trick huh? ;)

Anyway, so one bottle I had earmarked to be opened was a bottle of Palmetto Whiskey.  Being more or less from South Carolina, I just had to buy this when I was down there.  So it's  pretty interesting.  Definitely young, and a somewhat funky flavor, but it's different which is nice.  And for a micro the price of admission wasn't bad....got the a 750ml bottle for under 30 bucks.

I'm running this Palmetto Whiskey back again...I gotta say, I actually like this stuff.  Looked in my records and I paid $26 for it in SC.  

Westland Cask No. 741. Only took me about 10 days to finish the bottle. I have enjoyed every sip. Tons of cinnamon, coffee, chocolate. 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Store pick 14YO Dickel purchased years ago-- really great tonight. The guys at the distillery inferred that it's going to be quite some time before they'll release more 14.

IMG_8120.thumb.jpg.6bb5fad210c8dfcfc61a68a14b98e103.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Store pick 14YO Dickel purchased years ago-- really great tonight. The guys at the distillery inferred that it's going to be quite some time before they'll release more 14.

IMG_8120.thumb.jpg.6bb5fad210c8dfcfc61a68a14b98e103.jpg

Those were a great buy when they were on the shelf

I finally opened a private selection single barrel bottle of Stranahan's that I bought at Red Dog Wine & Spirits in Franklin, TN last year after tasting it in the store. It's even better than I remember, and I wish I had bought another bottle while I had the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 8:39 PM, lcpfratn said:

I'm actually enjoying a few pours of TinCup Colorado American Whiskey. I received a bottle as a gift a few years ago, and initially didn't care for it too much, but it grew on me the more I drank it. Anyway, the half full bottle got lost in the cabinet under my bar, and I took it out the other day when I was digging for something else thinking that I probably needed to finish it off. I think it's gotten even better sitting for a few years. If you haven't tried it, it's reasonably priced, and while it's only 84 proof, it's a decent whiskey for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i've been enjoying this a lot lately as well, for the price ($25-28) i think its a great buy. with a single rock goes down way too quick.

chewed on some Journeyman Buggy Whip Wheat (batch #19) last night with a buddy from Chicago who apprenticed with them for a few weeks in December. my first Journeyman and my first (at least as far as i know) wheater. overall i enjoyed it, but if im being honest, not as much as some of the other whiskey's i've been having lately from Stranahan's, Tin Cup, and Mulholland Distilling. i even preferred the WT101 we were doing side by side. my buddy said it had a classic Journeyman profile to it, but if we were tasting blind would he still say that?

the nose on the Journeyman was pretty reticent, but there was some sneaky spice there. decent sweetness and vanilla on the palate, pretty hot on the finish given the ABV, but what really stuck out to me was the weight (or lack thereof) in the mouthfeel. wasn't as dense and full as some of the other stuff i've been having, came off relatively light and maybe somewhat disjointed. still didn't stop us from killing half the bottle, but at the price ($59.99) not worth it IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Westland Peated, not bad, it's not replacing Laphroaig or Ardbeg as my regular peated pours but probably one of the better American "Craft" Whiskies I have had.

And chasing that Westland (and the Deanston Virgin Oak before it) with one last pour (I think) for the night, Corsair Triple Smoke that is really not hitting the spot, it tastes like bananas and soot, if there was more soot it would be better. Might need a small pour of Laphroaig to cleanse... 

Enjoying some Dickel 12 this evening. I forgot how much I like this whisky, and it's less than $30 to boot. Cheers!

2 hours ago, emr454 said:

Enjoying some Dickel 12 this evening. I forgot how much I like this whisky, and it's less than $30 to boot. Cheers!

Yes, indeed.  I forget the same.  I was just speaking with Troyce over the weekend about how this bottle was going to be my next purchase.  

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yes, indeed.  I forget the same.  I was just speaking with Troyce over the weekend about how this bottle was going to be my next purchase.  

I find myself more often than not getting caught up in trying new whiskeys and looking for the next best thing. It's almost refreshing to revisit old favorites and take the "analysis paralysis" of choosing between bottles out of the equation.

1 hour ago, emr454 said:

I find myself more often than not getting caught up in trying new whiskeys and looking for the next best thing. It's almost refreshing to revisit old favorites and take the "analysis paralysis" of choosing between bottles out of the equation.

There’s nothing quite like Dickel 12.  It really recalibrates my palate and offers a different lane to go down the American Whiskey Highway.  Sort of cleanses things for me.  An old favorite that calls to me when things get muddled.  It will be purchased tomorrow!

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

There’s nothing quite like Dickel 12.  It really recalibrates my palate and offers a different lane to go down the American Whiskey Highway.  Sort of cleanses things for me.  An old favorite that calls to me when things get muddled.  It will be purchased tomorrow!

If only it was sold in 1.75s...

If only it was sold in 1.75s...

It is in my area...for about 30% more than a 750ml. I like it, but hate buying the big bottle because it sits around forever, but I usually buy it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

It is in my area...for about 30% more than a 750ml. I like it, but hate buying the big bottle because it sits around forever, but I usually buy it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they were sold here I'd buy them. Being so far from TN I imagine not many make it this far.