What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

ChainWhip

I'm sad to report that I gave a bottle of Bernheim and an older dusty of Johnny Drum to some Finnish guys we do business with, and they didn't like the Bernheim at all (as much as Fins hate any alcohol, the bottle still got destroyed in a single night, apparently).  At least they loved the Johnny Drum.  

Guess I'll just stick to bourbon next time.

At least you tried to expand their horizons?

I decided to do a SBS of a Westland hand-filled bottle that I got at the distillery and cask 266, which I bought locally. The hand-filled cask seemed a little more bright and flavorful, but my lingering cold is somewhat hampering my tasting ability, so will need to try this again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been back into the BW #001 several times this week.  It proves to still be a favorite (when I want to mix things up a bit). 

Vikre Sugarbush. A younger craft whiskey aged on port and maple syrup barrels. I generally don't like much craft whiskey, but this stuff is decent for what it is

On 10/28/2016 at 6:43 PM, BottledInBond said:

Vikre Sugarbush. A younger craft whiskey aged on port and maple syrup barrels. I generally don't like much craft whiskey, but this stuff is decent for what it is

I just finished my bottle. You can really tell it's a young whisky. 

Its good for what there trying to do. I wish they would age it to the 6-8 year range . 

Little pricy as well for a 350ml bottle. 

GD 12 this Halloween, my old stand by and I am loving every sip. A 90 proof that packs a ton of flavor and always impresses.

• 4 weeks later...

Sipping from a 4oz sample bottle of Westland single cask #266 while riding Amtrak to my folks' house for Thanksgiving. This has some heat and would probably benefit from some time in a glass and a few drops of water, but I'm making do with what I have. Lots of cinnamon and chocolate. Westland posts notes for all their single cask releases and their notes on this one seem right on the money: "malty flavors of cookies, pancakes, cinnamon roll and dark chocolate."

Keeping it simple with some Mellow Corn tonight. Not fancy, not pricey, but just right for its moments.

I think a older version of this would be pretty cool. You'd think atsome point, they've had an extra aged barrel of this laying around. Wonder how it tasted?

B

I just opened a bottle of the 2016 Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Brandy Cask Finish. I know from what I've read that some of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection series have not been that good. However, now that I've tried this one, I have to say that it's pretty darn good. It might be a bit heavy on the wood flavor for some, but dark cherry and spice notes really accentuate the overall flavor. You also get the brandy cask influence in the flavor. I liked it neat, and opted not to try it with any water. It's pricey at close to $100, but I'll probably buy more if I can find them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thankful that RAIN (you know, water that falls from the sky?) finally cleared the air in Georgia enough that I could enjoy a pour, and reached for some HW Campfire (not out of irony for the smoke smell that has been around for weeks - just couldn't make up my mind for bourbon/rye/scotch and settled for "why not all three?")  I know some folks don't care for mixing different whiskies, but David Perkins got this one right.  Smokey, spicy, sweet - all around delicious.

On 12/1/2016 at 3:07 PM, GaryT said:

........RAIN (you know, water that falls from the sky?........

Yes.....we know it quite well here. Can you take some of our extra?

Edit: wrong forum for what bourbon am I drinking.

Edited by flahute
wrong forum - oh boy, how many have I had?

Bernheim got mentioned a little on this thread in October.  That reminded me I had a couple bunkered or in the "back" on the shelf.  Pulled the open ones out - an old NAS about half full and a 7 YR about 3/4 full which I bought when the 7 YR started appearing.  These are the two bottles I used in the SBS with picture I did when the 7 YR appeared.  But then, I did nothing with them until a couple of nights ago when I found them, again, on the floor in the dining room behind the door to the kitchen.  I also had a recent 7 YR up front that I've been sipping from every so often.

You know what I did, don't you . . . (statement, not a question).

RESULTS: taste of all three is pretty much the same; glasses were not marked where I could see them, and I couldn't tell one from another by smell, taste, or color let alone pick one that stood out.  Mouth feel of the two 7 YR ones was a little thicker than the NAS but not thick like bourbon.  The finish on all three was short as expected.

And, as a couple of us note from time to time, it is easy to lose track of how much has been swallowed - kind of like popcorn or cotton candy - and like popcorn and cotton candy, I don't know if that's because I really like it or because I can't consume enough to feel "satisfied and full" until I feel sick.:P

On 02/12/2016 at 4:14 PM, jeffrey r said:

PHC 8 Wheat Whiskey.  Just a delicious, warming whiskey this time of year.  Love this stuff.

Hi Jeff, 

May i ask which batch do you have ?

24 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Hi Jeff, 

May i ask which batch do you have ?

126.8.  The second, and purported "inferior" batch.  But I humbly think that was much ado about nothing, as standing on its own, the second batch is a terrific whiskey in my opinion.  I never saw batch 1, but did come across and buy a couple of batch 2.

That's the one i've got. With a few drops of water, it really shines. Never saw the first batch either. 

Enjoy it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 6:29 AM, jeffrey r said:

126.8.  The second, and purported "inferior" batch.  But I humbly think that was much ado about nothing, as standing on its own, the second batch is a terrific whiskey in my opinion.  I never saw batch 1, but did come across and buy a couple of batch 2.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:34 AM, Masset1982 said:

That's the one i've got. With a few drops of water, it really shines. Never saw the first batch either. 

Enjoy it. 

That makes three of us who enjoy batch 2 and never saw batch 1. I just remembered, however, that I have a sample of batch 1 from a generous SBer that I was going to use in a blind SBS with my open bottle of batch 2...it's probably time to make that happen.

Opened a Dickel 9 year barrel 158, date on bottom is 14.  John Lunn is master distiller listed on label and neck band.  Had typical vitamin note, but really love taste of Dickel.  Very enjoyable. 

Forgot to post that I was able to try Westland's two most recent special editions at an event held by K&L in San Francisco last week. This was held in Hard Water's new events room and featured Westland's normal lineup (Sherry Oak, American Single Malt, peated), two special editions, old fashioneds made with WASM, and a myriad of delicious appetizers. We ended up at a table with a couple of really nice guys who we chatted with for most of the event, so I didn't take any tasting notes, but I put some info and what I remember of each release below:

Westland "Winter 2016"

• This is the first of what they say will be an annual release. Like for most of their releases (including single barrels), the full specs are on Westland's website, but the high points are as follows:
    • 9 total casks dumped (6 first fill ex-bourbon, 1 first fill ex-oloroso hogshead, 1 "Cooper's Reserve" cask [I assume they mean the Independent Stave Cooper's Reserve type cask, which has staves seasoned for 24mo], 1 first fill ex-Westland cask)
    • Minimum age: 34 months
    • Mash bill: 65% pale malt, 21% heavily peated malt, 14% Westland's signature 5-malt (pale, munich, extra special, pale chocolate, and brown malts)
  • Tasting notes: sweet barley, cinnamon, and cocoa. The peat comes on in the mid-palate and is more of a flurry of spices than what I normally associate with peat. This really does scream "winter" to me. Nicely balanced, good mouth feel, easy to drink at 100 proof. This was the best thing on offer that night, in my opinion, and one of the better whiskeys I've had from them (behind the Garryana and a couple single casks). Unfortunately this is only available at the distillery, otherwise I would buy a bottle.

Westland "Peat Week" 2016

• This bottling is to celebrate Westland's annual Peat Week. I'm not sure if Peat Week consists of anything besides them releasing some good casks of peated whiskey. I can't find too any details on this one, but I believe it was a batch of 8 casks of peated malt
  • Tasting notes: I can't really remember much besides some fruitiness, some of those chocolatey notes that I get from most of their whiskeys (likely due to the darker malts they use), and a real nice amount of peat. This wasn't as peaty as I anticipated - I'd say it was like a Benromach level of peat, not an Ardbeg/Laphroaig/Kilchoman level of peat. I bought a bottle of this to throw into a future peaty Scotch blind tasting to see how it fares.

Overall it was a great event and the whiskey was excellent. For anyone interested in the Peat Week release, K&L has some, and it appears Binny's in Chicago does as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Sipping on one of the great "rut killers", Dickel 12.  What a greatly distinctive profile this whiskey has.  I love the minerally vitamin note.  Perfect when the palate gets thrashed into a numbness over time, and different bourbons begin to lose their individuality.  

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sipping on one of the great "rut killers", Dickel 12.  What a greatly distinctive profile this whiskey has.  I love the minerally vitamin note.  Perfect when the palate gets thrashed into a numbness over time, and different bourbons begin to lose their individuality.  

Man, I wish that would work for me. The Dickel vitamin flavor just destroys me. It makes me miss out on all the Barrel Bourbons as well. OGDBIB is my rut killer and that's not a bad thing.

Sipping some Dickel 12 for the first time tonight. It's...interesting. Definitely get a vitamin note on this one, mostly on the nose. My wife said it smelled like iron supplement pills. No vitamins on the taste, little burn, nice oaky caramel flavor. It was only $26 so not a huge loss if it's not my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Another pour for the night, this time some of the Dickel 9 yr.  Vitamin note is there if you search for it.

20170211_211525.jpg