Jump to content

What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?


Recommended Posts

A great price on this one...3 half -bottles of Va Distilling Malt whiskies for $30 equates to $20 ea. for full size. Full Size bottles sell for $65 (which is why I've never tried it before) so it's almost a 75% discount. They blend their young Single Malt with an undisclosed Highland Single Malt and then finish it in either Cider, Chardonnay or Port Casks. So far I've tried the Cider Cask Finish and it is delicious.

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.29222f582a084b4aae26c951c2e0a01c.jpg

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • tanstaafl2

    38

  • smokinjoe

    28

  • kevinbrink

    28

  • flahute

    27

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, seems the evil spirit proved powerful enough to throw Ida off course and saved us a direct hit— so I’ll gladly be back to the Green Brier in appreciation. Power is out here and at the shop, my c

I have yet to have one of these I haven't liked. For me, makes it the most consistent single barrel product I've had at least 3 bottles of.

With the massive amount of barrels that JD has they could literally flood the market with unbelievable great single barrel barrel proof store pick juice and most people would still think “it just JD h

Posted Images

On 12/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, BDanner said:

A great price on this one...3 half -bottles of Va Distilling Malt whiskies for $30 equates to $20 ea. for full size. Full Size bottles sell for $65 (which is why I've never tried it before) so it's almost a 75% discount. They blend their young Single Malt with an undisclosed Highland Single Malt and then finish it in either Cider, Chardonnay or Port Casks. So far I've tried the Cider Cask Finish and it is delicious.

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.29222f582a084b4aae26c951c2e0a01c.jpg

I wonder if these are being closed out to clear the inventory of whiskey's labeled Highland, I believe they need to remove that going forward.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, kevinbrink said:

I wonder if these are being closed out to clear the inventory of whiskey's labeled Highland, I believe they need to remove that going forward.

I believe you are correct. Apparently an agreement was struck with the SWA to allow them to sell through the labels in question instead of recalling them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

SWMBO loves, loves, loves the Port Cask-Finished Virginia-Highland Whisky.  Just stocked up with a case @ $50 ea. OTD before they run out.  And waiting for another L&K pick, too.   ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard GD12 in the glass tonight, delicious as always. This bottle is nearly empty so reinforcements will need to be purchased soon, the house is never without some GD12.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:23 PM, Whiskey Junkie said:

Let's see what a year difference makes.

 

 

image.jpg

Well? 

I’ve been seeing the 10y around. It has peeked my curiosity, but haven’t picked one up yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskey Junkie
12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Well? 

I’ve been seeing the 10y around. It has peeked my curiosity, but haven’t picked one up yet.  

Got some apple sweetness coming through.  Profile reminds me of RY 10 year.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished one of my longest-open tuition bottles.  Defiant American Single Malt.  Originally purchased solely for the bottle shape; its a keeper for moi.  

 

Did not know until recently of their hyper-aging gimmick that just don't work very well. 

Explains most of my complaints.  Will not repurchase. 

 

Now, a Defiant 10 year old single barrel?  Mebbe.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncorked this one tonight and it has an unusual flavor profile. Not bad, just very different than anything else I have had. Reminds me somewhat of Angel’s Envy Rye. Anybody else tried it?

IMG_3409.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Uncorked this one tonight and it has an unusual flavor profile. Not bad, just very different than anything else I have had. Reminds me somewhat of Angel’s Envy Rye. Anybody else tried it?

IMG_3409.jpg

I had one a couple years ago, and hated it for the same reason I hated  the Forester 1910...that artificial sweetener, saccharine, aspartame, overtone.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I had one a couple years ago, and hated it for the same reason I hated  the Forester 1910...that artificial sweetener, saccharine, aspartame, overtone.

One of the many reasons we are brothers. I bought a previous iteration of this a few years upon a high recommendation and absolutely hated it. There was nothing I could do via blending or masking in cocktails so I ended up drain pouring it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I had one a couple years ago, and hated it for the same reason I hated  the Forester 1910...that artificial sweetener, saccharine, aspartame, overtone.

I revisited this last night and you are dead on with the artificial sweetener comparison.  That was the flavor that I just couldn't place, but knew I had tasted before.  I get a little baking spice, but the artificial sweetener tone overpowers most everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I had one a couple years ago, and hated it for the same reason I hated  the Forester 1910...that artificial sweetener, saccharine, aspartame, overtone.
Toasted Barrel Sour Mash was first released this year.
I could see where you'd get the extra sweet notes in the regular Sour Mash version. I've relegated my bottle as a mixer, my wife likes it mixed with a little unsweet tea or one of her dry white wines. Both sound unappealing to me, but she likes it.

As for the Toasted Barrel variant, it definitely has similar sweet notes to it, but something else that gives it an extra tingle. I can't think of a better way to describe it.
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Toasted Barrel Sour Mash was first released this year.
I could see where you'd get the extra sweet notes in the regular Sour Mash version. I've relegated my bottle as a mixer, my wife likes it mixed with a little unsweet tea or one of her dry white wines. Both sound unappealing to me, but she likes it.

As for the Toasted Barrel variant, it definitely has similar sweet notes to it, but something else that gives it an extra tingle. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

The bottle I am speaking of was a “toasted barrel”.  Perhaps, not the “Sour Mash” at that time, but another bourbon/whiskey from Michter’s that was “toasted”.  It was dreadful.  I’m sure I gave a review and comments, here.  I’ll try and find them to clarify.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The bottle I am speaking of was a “toasted barrel”.  Perhaps, not the “Sour Mash” at that time, but another bourbon/whiskey from Michter’s that was “toasted”.  It was dreadful.  I’m sure I gave a review and comments, here.  I’ll try and find them to clarify.

Ah, found the last of the bottle.  It was the toasted “bourbon”.  Please excuse my oversight.  But, it was dreadful.  
 

By the way, I did a quick search, but did not come up with anything definitive.  What makes the Michter’s Sour Mash its own animal, different from sour mash bourbon whiskey?  

4BF2884D-F3FD-4C06-BB00-4025DD178A25.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ah, found the last of the bottle.  It was the toasted “bourbon”.  Please excuse my oversight.  But, it was dreadful.  
 

By the way, I did a quick search, but did not come up with anything definitive.  What makes the Michter’s Sour Mash its own animal, different from sour mash bourbon whiskey?  

4BF2884D-F3FD-4C06-BB00-4025DD178A25.jpeg

This is the one that I also had that I drain poured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, flahute said:

This is the one that I also had that I drain poured.

I didn’t drain pour, but I had to dig waaay back in the garage bunker for the last dregs in this bottle...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

By the way, I did a quick search, but did not come up with anything definitive.  What makes the Michter’s Sour Mash its own animal, different from sour mash bourbon whiskey?  

 

If I remember from the tour/tasting we did at Michters I believe the mash bill is not 51% corn.  Something a little less so it couldn't be called bourbon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah, found the last of the bottle.  It was the toasted “bourbon”.  Please excuse my oversight.  But, it was dreadful.  
 
By the way, I did a quick search, but did not come up with anything definitive.  What makes the Michter’s Sour Mash its own animal, different from sour mash bourbon whiskey?  
4BF2884D-F3FD-4C06-BB00-4025DD178A25.thumb.jpeg.e32a1e79d6eb5f4d44308668ae810ded.jpeg
For me, I prefer the sour mash over the bourbon and found the same for the toasted Barrel offerings.

I poured out my last Michter's bourbon bottle, it was just sour to me.

But, the 10y bourbon has been something special. All years I've sampled.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccleve23 said:

If I remember from the tour/tasting we did at Michters I believe the mash bill is not 51% corn.  Something a little less so it couldn't be called bourbon. 

Ah, thanks.  Did they share anything about the % of back set that was introduced?  Is it different than what would be considered typical?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ah, thanks.  Did they share anything about the % of back set that was introduced?  Is it different than what would be considered typical?

No they didn't.  Just that it didn't have 51% corn.  I think I read somewhere it is 45% corn, 45% rye, 10% barley.  My guess is they just needed a name for it so sour mash it is.   

 

They did share that the Michter's 10 year this year will be their own bourbon and not sourced.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

All the Michters SM chatter got me thinking.

I often forget about this sitting at the back of my bar.  A friend found it for me sealed a few years back.  It’s actually quite good, with a spicy caramel /rye taste going on.

Not labeled bourbon, so I guess it goes in this category.

 

Also, I agree with you guys.  Not a fan of any Michters “toasted” product at all.  I keep trying various products and find it all repulsive to my tastes.

24998DF8-A0B1-4136-959E-B8E0DEE85FF4.jpeg

Edited by 0895
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty sure this is Dickel, there's a faint hint of that vitamin note mid palate. So good!

20200318_212556.jpg

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
kwshannon

Stopped by LS and picked up a Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, bottled in 2019.  Sweet candy, bananas, caramel.

IMG_0372.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.