Four Roses 2014 Small Batch LE

tuntime
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would have been surprised if they used anything 15 years or older. Looking forward to hopefully getting a few bottles of these.

High rye on three of the four recipes ... hope I make the list for at least one.

I'm usually a fan of the OB recipe over the OE, so I like that aspect. I'm guessing all of the extra-aged stock is depleted, so the ages on this one make sense. Either way I'm sure it'll be great, so no worries here. :)

I remember a video interview with Jim Rutledge. He'd thought of doing a younger profile last year, but in the end went with the older stock.

This sounds like it will be another amazing selection from JR. Start the speculation as to how many bottles this will yield.

With more, and younger barrels, hopefully that means more availability.

Edited by Memphis

With more, and younger barrels, hopefully that means more availability.

That would be my guess. And with the past success, the price could still take a gentle nudge upward (GENTLE) without upsetting the apple cart, and with more stock - that should help out their biz. Which they have more than earned - I'm definitely looking for one of these; the SmBLE has become an annual "gotta have it" for me! Some of the better FRSB's I've had weren't more than 10 or 11 yrs old, so the age doesn't give me a moment's hesitation.

That would be my guess. And with the past success, the price could still take a gentle nudge upward (GENTLE) without upsetting the apple cart, and with more stock - that should help out their biz. Which they have more than earned - I'm definitely looking for one of these; the SmBLE has become an annual "gotta have it" for me! Some of the better FRSB's I've had weren't more than 10 or 11 yrs old, so the age doesn't give me a moment's hesitation.

Totally agree. An 11 year OBSV Private Selection was one of the better bourbons I've ever had period. This should be great.

2012 and 2013 will be a tough act to follow. Not surprised to see the OBSF in there this year, Rutledge seems to be feel this batch of OBSF is pretty nice. Had one of his late 2013 gift shop OBSFs last year it was nice, look forward to trying the 4RSBLE which I picked up yesterday.

With the 4RSBLE trading at $100, up about $10-15 from what I'm used to seeing locally, won't surprise me if this one tips $100. That being said, it's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. $100 seems to be a pain point for a lot of folks to part with, Bookers 25th seemed to at least hang around for a little while, so we'll see.

What's the biggest section of my bunker? Four Roses 1BLE and SmBLE (and Mariage). Looks like I'm going to need some extra bottles of this year's SmBLE too.

I presume a lot of the success the last two LE Small Batch enjoyed was due to the use of those 17 year and 18 year barrels of OBSV (and the 12 year and 13 year K barrels). I can't help but wonder what this year's recipe would look like if Jim Rutledge saved some of these barrels for another five years and then bottled this small batch again at that time. I would like to nominate myself to oversee that project. I have already cleared my calendar just in case.

OBSK 9 years to 14 years

OBSV 13 years to 18 years

OESV 12 years to 17 years

OBSF 11 years to 16 years.

Someone else mentioned this earlier and I wanted to agree with the comment that I'm glad Jim Rutledge got the 11 year OBSF in the mix. I purchased a 10 year, 7 month OBSF from the gift shop in early April and it is the best barrel strength single barrel I have ever had.

Edited by DPPSmoker
added comment

Very happy to see the inclusion of an F. After the 2012/13 editions this will be a terrific change-up. 9, 13,11,12 are not exactly "young". Several times JR has spoken about his take on age and it makes great sense to me. I've no wish to wait for a particular age if the spirit has peaked and will only, in JRs terms, go south which is how he describes latter side of the bourbon aging bell curve. I have begun seeking lower proofs and sub 12 yrs in PS bottles as over oaked is not my thing, that said I loved the OBSV 17/18 component in previous LEs. So whatever age/combo finds itself in the Smb LE JR has my trust and I am very much looking forward to this one.

Have faith guys. He has hit a grand slam 2 years in a row. I would be good with an extra base hit in his next plate appearance.

• 1 month later...

If this year's release is like last year, and it's possible to call in to reserve a bottle for pickup at the Gift Shop, does anyone know how long they'll hold them for? I unfortunately can't make Kentucky Bourbon Fest (usually when it gets released), but I was hoping to call in, hold a bottle, and then head up the following week (September 24th) to pick it up in person.

If this year's release is like last year, and it's possible to call in to reserve a bottle for pickup at the Gift Shop, does anyone know how long they'll hold them for? I unfortunately can't make Kentucky Bourbon Fest (usually when it gets released), but I was hoping to call in, hold a bottle, and then head up the following week (September 24th) to pick it up in person.

They will hold it for you, but you will just have to pay for it over the phone. I did this back at the beginning of the month with a PS of OBSK. I knew it would be almost 2 weeks before I could pick it up, but they just set it in back on hold since I had paid for it over the phone. I'm sure they get this a lot from people all over the country.

• 1 month later...

For anyone curious, Four Roses opened bottle reservations in early August and filled up all the slots in 3 days. Was told to call back on the 22nd or 23rd to see if any more would be coming in

It released this week last year, yes. Some stores will probably have it out a day before the release at Four Roses distillery.

Already completely sold out in Atlanta. Yup. No need to even waste your time looking for it. It's all gone and it's never coming back.

Move along. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.