Four Roses 2014 Small Batch LE

tuntime
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Indeed it has. Obligatory car shot...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19715[/ATTACH]

Safety first!

Bruce! Shame on you. I have a special car seat for mine.

Bruce! Shame on you. I have a special car seat for mine.

C'mon, haven't you guys heard of the Bourbon Bjorn!

I see this once in awhile online but the price keeps going up.

$400 now.

Just crazy - OMG has the world gone nuts?

Just crazy - OMG has the world gone nuts?

$400 is crazy

I was upset that I paid $200 for mine, especially after getting into a car accident the following day, but I guess it's better than this.

I have been looking for BTAC as well but those are even harder to find at a reasonable price.

I will just drink what I have for now.

Both of the stores I frequent said the same thing. In order to get either LE version they had to purchase barrels. Neither got any SBLe bottles and one store said they didn't sell enough 4R to justify a barrel but the other bought two barrels late summer and received 6 SmbLe's last week.

I don't know how it works but my retailer got barrels of the regular stuff. I would have been happy to grab a few if it had been the barrel proof sb but a store pick regular sb is just whatever to me.

Got to try this tonight and was not as into it as I thought I would be. It had a lot of pepper to it and a lot of rye character. If that's your thing you'll probably love it. Definitely a very good bourbon, but didn't match up to what they released last year (though that may be an impossible bottle to beat). I definitely found it to be more unique than other offerings though.

Edited by bicktrav

Got to try this tonight and was not as into it as I thought I would be. It had a lot of pepper to it and a lot of rye character. If that's your thing you'll probably love it. Definitely a very good bourbon, but didn't match up to what they released last year (though that may be an impossible bottle to beat). I definitely found it to be more unique than other offerings though.

Update: tried this again after the bottle had been open for about a week. There was a definite shift ok flavor. Less peppery than the first time I tried it, enhanced sweetness and just better overall balance. Still wouldn't say it's favorite release of the year, but it's gone from slightly disappointing to good for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at a local store tonight that had a 4Roses tasting. 2014 Limited Small Batch, 2014 Limited Single Barrel, Small Batch, Single Barrel, and three of their private barrel selections. Really, Really enjoyed the Limited Small Batch. Anyway they had only one bottle of each of the Limited Editions to sell. Raffle style is how they chose who got to purchase one. I was lucky enough to have my name called! Yay, so I chose the Limited Small Batch. I had a couple small pours during the tasting and am very happy with it. I will very much enjoy emptying this bottle into my belly.

I finished my first bottle of this a few days ago. I really enjoyed this year's limited edition small batch. I drank it alongside the 2012 and 2013. While the 2014 didn't stand out as a winner, it stood out as a great pour that I wanted to go back to over and over again. I'm glad I grabbed both bottles off the shelf when I saw them.

Yeah, just a quick add here. Did a SBS with the '13. I get that the '13 might be better, but man, I feel that is really starting to nit pick. I've been REALLY digging the '14. This is a very delicious A-/A whiskey.

the 12 and 13 are just so much more viscous when it comes to mouth feel, granted it helps that they had 17 and 18 yr whiskey in them. The 14 is way different than most of the SMBLE I have tried as it has a lot of red hot on the palate

Haven't done a sbs, but having tried both I don't think this year's is in the same league as the 13. But the 13 may be my all time favorite pour, so for me very few bottles approach it. No question this year's is a good whiskey though. Probably a B+ for me. There's just a little too much of the "red hot" Michaelturtle1 mentioned to get it into the A zone.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this release didn't make it to NJ or I just missed it, but as of about a week ago I could not find it anywhere . . .and I looked pretty hard. I've seen more Pappy and BTAC this year than the FR 2014 SmB LE. I was in southern CA this past week. Several stores had the full Pappy line up on the shelves at ridiculous prices. One store even apologized saying the prices were high because the store bought them from a collector who charged a high price! Anyway, one of these stores had an excellent selection of bourbons -- many with ridiculous prices like the Pappy. I had about 5 minutes to survey the scene while a car full of people were waiting outside for me (I'm sure many of you know the drill). As I scanned the shelves , I did a Fred Flintstone double take as I saw a FR 2014 SmB LE sitting on the shelf mixed in with the standard FR SmB bottles. I cringed when looking at the price fearing the mark up would be similar percentage-wise to the Pappy and A.H. Hirsch Humidor (also on the shelf) prices. Much to my surprise, the price was just a little above retail (and reasonable to me). I asked for a discount at the counter and the guy said he'd give me 5% off.

I've read some great reviews and other so-so reviews (not sure if the latter group is on a stand alone basis or in comparison with the '12 and '13 releases).

It's a good one. I really like it. Many compared it with the 125th edition from 2013. I like both and for itself it's very good.

Open it and let us know what you think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.