The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm thinking more 60/40 with Barton being predominate, but I did use aroma as my guide. I think of Grand Dad as a backbone sort of influence that stands out in blends or cocktails.

I'm thinking more 60/40 with Barton being predominate, but I did use aroma as my guide. I think of Grand Dad as a backbone sort of influence that stands out in blends or cocktails.

In the interest of research I suggest you try both. The idea is intriguing, I just never tried that. For the longest time the Barton and OGD BIB sat side by side on the shelf and I probably started thinking of them as a pair.

In the interest of research I suggest you try both. The idea is intriguing, I just never tried that. For the longest time the Barton and OGD BIB sat side by side on the shelf and I probably started thinking of them as a pair.

I wasn't patient enough to wait for your reply last night so I went ahead and tried it. It works well. It was tasting more balanced near the end of the pour so with a day or more of mingling I think it would be even better.

Fozzy, my advice would be to try that GD Rye before getting too worried about how to kill it off... way different animal than the Bulleit stuff. Not sure how it'll hit you, but it's a rye I pick up on a semi regular basis.

I'm hoping that the next VOTM is either Stagg JR/BT or ECBP/EC12. I have only tried the SB blend and that would give me an excuse to try the two blends I have been putting off.

JR=??? not familiar with that acronym

Edited by fozzy71
If I could find a ECBP I would gladly mingle it with EC12

Earlier this week, I did a 1:1 of bonded VOB and OGD and set it aside. When it (the VOB/OGD blend) appears on the VOTM, I'll open it. We get no Weller 12 here so the SB blend is just a dream for me.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
clarify what appears

I'm hoping that the next VOTM is either Stagg JR/BT or ECBP/EC12. I have only tried the SB blend and that would give me an excuse to try the two blends I have been putting off.

OGD114:GD12 >> GD12:EWSB, further proof that 'everything is better with a little OGD114'. I really need to quote myself in my sig line.

OGD114:GD12 >> GD12:EWSB, further proof that 'everything is better with a little OGD114'. I really need to quote myself in my sig line.

See my sig. That quote is already attributed to TT.

having ~1:1:1:1 JBB, G&W, Kirkland, and KCSB. At least 3 of the 4 are from Beam barrels--if only we knew where the G&W came from .... Anyhow, quite good IMO. And it gets me to thinking of vattings where there are lots of different components from the same distillery. Maybe 4RYL is the best young "prevatted" example I can think of, but I really like the idea of combining a bunch of bottles from one house, making an "All in the Family" vatting. You guys ever do this?

having ~1:1:1:1 JBB, G&W, Kirkland, and KCSB. At least 3 of the 4 are from Beam barrels--if only we knew where the G&W came from .... Anyhow, quite good IMO. And it gets me to thinking of vattings where there are lots of different components from the same distillery. Maybe 4RYL is the best young "prevatted" example I can think of, but I really like the idea of combining a bunch of bottles from one house, making an "All in the Family" vatting. You guys ever do this?

Along those lines, I've been enjoying a vatting of 3:2:1 OGD114:Basil Hayden:OGDBIB

Hey... did me a madvatter this past Wed. ..I was going fishing and I had this half a bottle of KC (375ml) so I started dumping some of my others that were almost gone... all of these were around 50 ml or less ..AAA10, ER10, BT Sb, Bernheim,Bookers, and topped it off with some JB12,oh and a dash of ECBP....WOW! Quite a vat. nice color and nose.. Quite an unusual taste both neat and as a mixer ....mostly I mixed this with coke as I was fishing so had to make it last,(whisky and me) I spent the whole day and night and into the next morning fishing and ended up drinking the whole bottle! I'm still feeling the effects. I did end up with a shot or so left in the bottle so I am going to try it again in a few days once this fogginess eases up!

Potentially stupid question, but here goes... My wife has a number of extra mason jars, would they be suitable for vatting?

Potentially stupid question, but here goes... My wife has a number of extra mason jars, would they be suitable for vatting?

I have never used them, but it makes sense that they would work very well. They seal completely, even if you do not vacuum seal them.

Pouring out of one into a glass would be difficult I think. I simply use empty, cleaned bottles. You can pour back into them with a measuring cup and/or small kitchen funnel. I also bought some assorted spare corks from amazon for when I have a bad cork or lose a screw top. Then I use a small piece of blue painters tape and a sharpie marker to label them with the mix/proof.

thanks both of you for the valid points. I'm not using them now, but down the road they could be an option. Tasting a 60:40 mix of FRYL:OGD114, not to shabby. Also started a last pours out of my ogd114 bottle. Last ounce of ogd114 is in there, so it's off to a good start :toast: .

My last pours decanter is one of my favorite open bottles right now and I literally have no clue what is in it anymore. I quit trying to keep track. I actually haven't poured anything into it in a while since it tastes so good the way it is and now that I switched to 1.5 oz pours instead of 2 oz pours I seem to not end up with less than a pour in a bottle as often as I used to since I will just pour a 2oz pour when I get down to the bottom. Once that decanter gets under half full I will probably switch back to 2 oz pours to be able to start refilling it. And before anyone asks, yes I measure out all my pours so I can account for the calories in my daily calorie counting.

Not bourbon, but as I'm sipping on some Aberlour 18 and feeling that it's just a bit thin and light, I wonder how it would be with a bit of A'Bunadh added to it. Might have to mix a couple ounces up!

ha, scotch vatting, I approve. I haven't had any scotch since I got into bourbon. Once I had a few bottles of bourbon the scotch/irish bottles took forever to empty so I never even thought of buying more but vatting scotches, or scotch with bourbon means maybe I should reconsider....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.