The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/16/2016, 6:56:18, fozzy71 said:

Made up a fresh batch of my favorite blend: BT:OGD114 at a ratio I don't think I tried in the past of 3:2 which comes in at even 98 proof.  I think I had settled on 3:1 being my favorite in my early tests so this should be interesting.  I will probably give it a small taste later tonight along with a taste of each of it's parts alone as I haven't had a bottle of either open in a couple months.

This was so good I dumped the pint into a empty handle of Larceny along with the remainder of the BT bottle and enough OGD114 to get the proper 3:2 ratio.  Will be sipping on it again tonight I am sure.

I have four bottles of OWA open right now. One regular bottle, and three different private selections. So, I've been doing a little experimenting on and off the last few weeks. I haven't gotten too serious yet. I've just been doing a little mixing and matching to get my take on things. I'll be picking up another OWA private selection in the very near future. Then the fun will start in earnest.  ;)Last year was the first time in a few years that I haven't brought a "Weller Blend" to the sampler or KBF. I'm going to try an OWA blend this time and see what happens. Probably mix up a handle to bring to the Sampler. :P

Cheers! Joe

On 1/16/2016, 7:49:59, GeeTen said:

Me, too!  Trying to vat ER10:BT:StaggJr (dSculptor's 2014 recipe) tomorrow -- 50:25:25.  If the Patriots beat the Chiefs, I deserve it -- if the Patriots lose to the Chiefs, I need it (to paraphrase Napoleon as to why he always stopped at Moet & Chandon on his way to/from a campaign).   ;)

Pats won, thanks to dSculptor's vatting recommendations (thanks, man) - wonderful, wonderful stuff.  Saved me from looking at the bottle of Batch #5 StaggJr in the bunker for a long time and wondering what I coulda' bought with the $$$.  Gonna' make up another batch for the Broncos' game on Sunday -- GO PATS!   :lol:

TTFN,

F.

8-)

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Pats won, thanks to dSculptor's vatting recommendations (thanks, man) - wonderful, wonderful stuff.  Saved me from looking at the bottle of Batch #5 StaggJr in the bunker for a long time and wondering what I coulda' bought with the $$$.  Gonna' make up another batch for the Broncos' game on Sunday -- GO PATS!   :lol:

TTFN,

F.

8-)

That was some good stuff, I may have to revisit that, just need to go get me some ER10.(not sure if you figured out the proof on that vat but it comes to 101.1 with the 134.4 stagg)

As far as the Pats go, well that's another story, but I don't think you have anything to worry about, they are the team to beat.

One of my all time favs with Stagg Jr. was AAA10yr/Stagg 70/30...(100.52 pf).Damn tasty stuff!

I just bought me some AA just to give it a taste -$11.999 -liter, it's ok, but unremarkable.

Another you one you may want to try is EC12/Stagg jr., a little crossbreeding, but really good! 55/45,(106.12 pf)...and yet another was EWB/stagg jr. -- 60/40.(100.52)

It's Friday who knows what's going to get vatted tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed up a 750ml vatting of EC12 and JW Dant BIB at 50/50.  I believe that EC12 is too woody, and wanted to lessen the age with another Heaven Hill bourbon.  JW Dant seemed like it would be a good candidate.  I'm going to let in mingle for a couple weeks and then I'll give an update.  I was tempted to mix EC12 with an 8ish year EWSB that I had, but, I decided that we will know what the new EC tastes like soon enough.

I mixed some ec12 with some ewbib a couple weeks ago, but I just poured both into a glass and didn't let them really mingle. I wasn't too impressed. 

On 2/1/2016, 6:37:33, Golzee said:

I believe that EC12 is too woody, and wanted to lessen the age with another Heaven Hill bourbon.

Sounds like Heaven Hill felt the same way! :D

I think the EC12 and HH6BIB would make a nice balanced vatting. I get some of the same notes from both of those.

Sooo... do you just mix and drink your mixture in the same sitting or do you mix wait a few days and drink once the two spirits mingle for a while?

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎17‎:‎54‎, SebastianLloyd said:

Sooo... do you just mix and drink your mixture in the same sitting or do you mix wait a few days and drink once the two spirits mingle for a while?

Probably every permutation under the sun has been tried from "mix and drink" on the spot to mingling for weeks or more. I rarely do vattings myself but personally I think letting it mingle for at least a few hours is probably a good idea but that is totally a subjective choice on my part.

On 2/6/2016, 9:17:54, SebastianLloyd said:

I always try right away and sometimes it works out but generally I think that waiting a day is best. I don't think waiting longer results in much improvement.

• 8 months later...

So I was down to the last couple pours of Blanton' s and while it was one of my favorites a few years ago, as my palate has evolved it just seems like the Blanton' s doesn't have the kick nor complexity I desire of late. I decided to try my first blend / vatting. I went 2:1 Blanton' s & OGD 114... WOW! The first taste was amazing. The Blanton' s sweetness up front was more evident than ever before, but when the OGD spices kicked in I was floored... the pecan pie finish was heavenly. I can't wait to see how it is in a week or so...

^^^^^ Your vatting with OGD 114 notwithstanding, if you can find it, Rock Hill Farms is often the answer to the conondrum that Blanton's is good but missing a bit of oomph and complexity.  RHF is the same mashbill, single barrel as well, and preferred by many of us head-to-head with Blanton's.

22 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

^^^^^ Your vatting with OGD 114 notwithstanding, if you can find it, Rock Hill Farms is often the answer to the conondrum that Blanton's is good but missing a bit of oomph and complexity.  RHF is the same mashbill, single barrel as well, and preferred by many of us head-to-head with Blanton's.

Like you said... IF I can find it...

And... my vatting of $59 and $32 bottles does end up being more cost effective than RHF, at least in my area... :D

Edited by JTaylor

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to mix two whiskies that I haven't particularly enjoyed by themselves but I thought would pair well together, Rhetoric 20 and Willett 2 yr Rye. The Rhetoric 20 is soft and creamy and the Willett 2 yr is a little harsh.

The first drink was 75% Willett and 25% Rhetoric which I really enjoyed. They play well off each other and the rough edges of the Willett go away. The proof is around 100.

The second drink was 75% Rhetoric and 25% Willett and it is not nearly as balanced as the first. It just seems off compared to the first vatting.

10 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I decided to mix two whiskies that I haven't particularly enjoyed by themselves but I thought would pair well together, Rhetoric 20 and Willett 2 yr Rye. The Rhetoric 20 is soft and creamy and the Willett 2 yr is a little harsh.

The first drink was 75% Willett and 25% Rhetoric which I really enjoyed. They play well off each other and the rough edges of the Willett go away. The proof is around 100.

The second drink was 75% Rhetoric and 25% Willett and it is not nearly as balanced as the first. It just seems off compared to the first vatting.

That is the approach I like to take - lopsided both ways and then dial in from there.  I was also not a big fan of the Rhetoric 20, but found a mingle with Lot 40 (very quirky rye) made something interesting enough that I enjoy it.  

A recent vatting that I've been enjoying is 1792 Port with 1792 FP - 1:1 ratio (tried micro mingles of 2:1 each way, and 1:1 - and liked the middle one the best).  I really love the 1792 FP by itself, and liked the 1792 Port but thought it was "too porty".  The mingle knocks the port down (but not out), and leaves the proof at 107 which is right in my sweet spot.

Thinking of trying a mingle of all the major distilleries, with barrel proof (or closest that they offer) and equal parts.  1792 FP, Bookers, ECBP, WTRB, Stagg Jr, and . . . sh!t - Four Roses just mucks that up (which recipe do you pick!)  Ok - maybe all EXCEPT Four Roses - just to see what happens :)

24 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Thinking of trying a mingle of all the major distilleries, with barrel proof (or closest that they offer) and equal parts.  1792 FP, Bookers, ECBP, WTRB, Stagg Jr, and . . . sh!t - Four Roses just mucks that up (which recipe do you pick!)  Ok - maybe all EXCEPT Four Roses - just to see what happens :)

Don't forget MMCS.  I've done MMCS, ECBP, and Stagg Jr together in equal parts, a twist on Ron's Four Grain, and it's delicious.  Add water, again equal part, and it's a mid 90s proof tasty treat as well.

Edit: if you count MGP, you'll also need a SAOS in there!

Edited by dcbt

4 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Don't forget MMCS.  I've done MMCS, ECBP, and Stagg Jr together in equal parts, a twist on Ron's Four Grain, and it's delicious.  Add water, again equal part, and it's a mid 90s proof tasty treat as well.

Yikes!  Is that "Hazmat" on steroids???    I have all three (3) bottles so I might try it . . . . . :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Yikes!  Is that "Hazmat" on steroids???    I have all three (3) bottles so I might try it . . . . . :ph34r:

Yea, I usually add the fourth part water to tame it down. 

1 minute ago, dcbt said:

Yea, I usually add the fourth part water to tame it down. 

The water jug will be close at hand, thanks.   :lol:

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

Like a bourbon Shirley Temple.

We shall call this the Surely Tipsy!!!

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

Are you familiar with the Unity Bottle that was created for the Parker Beam Promise of Hope fund? It's essentially what you are talking about (though it was bottled at 100 proof).

This was another thing I learned about at the Jim Rutledge event.

I did a little experimenting with this months BOTM in order to make it more "palatable". In other words, I'm trying to find a way to finish my bottle. ^_^ I started with an approximate 50/50 mix of BT and Beam Double Oak. This was an improvement, and much more drinkable, but it still needed something else. I looked up at my open bottles and spotted my 1979 decanter of Beam 10 year old 80 proof. Hmmmmmm. :huh: I added some of this to the mix, and voila', that did the trick.  A nice mix if I do say so myself. :D  FWIW, I might try it later on without the BT and see how that works.

Cheers! Joe

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I did a little experimenting with this months BOTM in order to make it more "palatable". In other words, I'm trying to find a way to finish my bottle. ^_^ I started with an approximate 50/50 mix of BT and Beam Double Oak. This was an improvement, and much more drinkable, but it still needed something else. I looked up at my open bottles and spotted my 1979 decanter of Beam 10 year old 80 proof. Hmmmmmm. :huh: I added some of this to the mix, and voila', that did the trick.  A nice mix if I do say so myself. :D  FWIW, I might try it later on without the BT and see how that works.

Cheers! Joe

Using some JBDO to proof down Bookers might work well, too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.