The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not bourbon, but as I'm sipping on some Aberlour 18 and feeling that it's just a bit thin and light, I wonder how it would be with a bit of A'Bunadh added to it. Might have to mix a couple ounces up!

I bet that would be a great idea, and it would still be considered an Aberlour single malt as well!

Been really enjoying a Beam all-in-the-family vatting with white, black, Kirkland's, and KCSB. About equal parts of each.

We got a little carried away the other day.....50/50 Saz 18 / WR Four wood , bet no one has ever tried that! It was extremely unique, almost like heavy plums, or apricots...as usual we were doing some SBS's and had tasted them separately and couldn't resist the temptation to mingle, only tried a little as it was the end of the Saz 18 , but luckily I have another one waiting,hope to be able to find me another one this year. (yeh right)

We got a little carried away the other day.....50/50 Saz 18 / WR Four wood , bet no one has ever tried that! It was extremely unique, almost like heavy plums, or apricots...as usual we were doing some SBS's and had tasted them separately and couldn't resist the temptation to mingle, only tried a little as it was the end of the Saz 18 , but luckily I have another one waiting,hope to be able to find me another one this year. (yeh right)

My head just exploded a little.

I can't imagine risking Saz 18 mixed with WR of any kind. It seems sacrilegious.

I can't imagine risking Saz 18 mixed with WR of any kind. It seems sacrilegious.

Strictly for my own taste buddies, I don't find Saz 18 that spectacular (Note: I'm not a particular fan of straight ryes anyway). I like some other ryes as well or better, especially for the cheese asked, and the difficulty of obtaining a bottle.

Then again, if only for those reasons, I do find it odd for someone to vat with it.

Yeh I know, but an ounce or so isn't going to hurt my bottles, hell I've done worse with my vat of 20/20 (EC20/PVW20) but WOW what a spectacular vat that is! I already know how each tastes on it's own, so why not try something that no doubt no one has ever tasted? You just never know....

Did another one the other day while fishing with a buddy, he brought some Larceny and I had some Devil's cut which I haven't had in a very long time, so we did a 50/50, let me tell you if you have these 2 on hand... try them... the nose was sooo rackhouse, and the taste was very nice, well balanced with a touch of sweetness from the Larceny, they play very well together. Too bad I can't get Larceny around here as I would definitely do a larger vat of these.

Like I said you just never know what your going to get...

Edited by dSculptor

Yeh I know, but an ounce or so isn't going to hurt my bottles, hell I've done worse with my vat of 20/20 (EC20/PVW20) but WOW what a spectacular vat that is! I already know how each tastes on it's own, so why not try something that no doubt no one has ever tasted? You just never know....

Did another one the other day while fishing with a buddy, he brought some Larceny and I had some Devil's cut which I haven't had in a very long time, so we did a 50/50, let me tell you if you have these 2 on hand... try them... the nose was sooo rackhouse, and the taste was very nice, well balanced with a touch of sweetness from the Larceny, they play very well together. Too bad I can't get Larceny around here as I would definitely do a larger vat of these.

Like I said you just never know what your going to get...

It wasn't that you chose to vat Saz18 with something that got me. It was that the other component was WR. But that's just me. EC20/PVW20 makes sense. I'm just having a hard time with WR.

It wasn't that you chose to vat Saz18 with something that got me. It was that the other component was WR. But that's just me. EC20/PVW20 makes sense. I'm just having a hard time with WR.

The WR Masters Collection Four Wood might well make a perfect vatting partner. This is all pot still distillate after all. After all it has worked for standard Woodford for some time since it is just a vatting of an all Woodford pot still ditillate and Brown-Foreman distillate from a column still. The more I think about it the more that makes sense! Keep that pot still character but cut it a bit to give it some balance.

. . . Did another one the other day while fishing with a buddy, he brought some Larceny and I had some Devil's cut which I haven't had in a very long time, so we did a 50/50, . . .

I never, ever would have thought of this. I always (try to, anyway) keep at least one bottle of Larceny around just in case I'm in the mood. Never seriously considered buying Devil's Cut. If the DC ever appears on sale, and if I remember, maybe . . .

I vatted a 75% full bottle of Wiser Double Still Rye (see recent online review here from Davin: http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/jp-wiser%E2%80%99s-double-still-rye-43-4.html) with Rittenhouse Rye. The result is much better, IMO, for both. The Wiser still (for me) has too much aged neutral spirit character, whereas the Rittenhouse is a very big whiskey in all ways which I can't really drink neat (great for Manhattans and other cocktails). The blending considerably boosts the straight character of the Wiser while retaining a certain elegance of mouth palate and finish. I noticed the empty glass has a noticeable burned oak smell, the Wiser on its own doesn't do that. Even the small amount of Ritt added made that difference and of course it's in the palate too, not in a way you can necessarily see but it's reflected in the complexity of the drink.

Gary

I found myself with a lil EC12 and a lil 4RsB left in their respective bottles, so I mixed em together and VIOLA....Rosey Craig! (60/40 EC12-4RsB) I'm really digging all the sweet oaky fruitiness!

I found myself with a lil EC12 and a lil 4RsB left in their respective bottles, so I mixed em together and VIOLA....Rosey Craig! (60/40 EC12-4RsB) I'm really digging all the sweet oaky fruitiness!

That sounds interesting, would you change the ratio?

For me, its darn near perfect. Gonna revisit in a month or so...see how/if it evolves.

You could absolutely change the ratio to suit your own personal tastes. I like a lil sweetness in my Bourbon, but if a guy likes more spice or whatever, they could go the other way. Don't think I'd go more than 60:40 or maybe 65:35 tho, as I think you'd lose what makes each part special.

I mixed up a 200ml today in equal parts of WTRB:WTKS:RRSiB that I plan to sample tonight. Should be yummy but don't think it will beat out the Stagg JR batch 2 / BT I mixed the other day at 1:3.

• 1 month later...

Had a small portion of WSR left and mixed it with some WT101. I didnt measure, but would guess about 2 parts WSR and 1 part WT101. Took small sip and tasted pretty good. Anyone else tried this mixture?

Just dropped some Bernheim wheat into the remaining OGD114 in my glass.  The burnt corner of the brownie pan works well with the doughiness of the Bernheim.  My ratio is ~50:50.  Thinking that 60% Bernheim might be better.  

In general, I find OGD114 to be a very good backbone bourbon in vattings.

THANKYOU THANKYOU !!  I started with the 60:40 and think I like it better than 50:50.

It's a surprise and revelation to me that the vattings I've liked best (not that I'd done ANY before a couple of months ago) use either OGD 114 or OGD bonded.  I've tried a few without them, but the only vattings I keep around use the OGDs.

• 1 month later...

Well, thought I would give this thread a bump, it's been awhile since I got to play the mad scientist. Friday night we were having some various pours, so one thing led to another and this is what I came up with: First vat was some ECBP/MMCS about 60/40 that turned out to be surprisingly interesting , actually had another. Then I followed that same vat and added some JDSB and a touch of WR Rye ,very interesting and really not that bad, followed that up with another pour but with some slightly different ratio's. It was all good, until I tried some chivas regal 12 yr. old,OMG that just about ruined my buds needless to say that got dumped immediately.

I haven't done much vatting in recent months either but the other day I combined a half bottle of EWBiB into a half full liter bottle of JBBiB mostly for bottle consolidation reasons, and partly because I was curious how much it would knock down the beam 'funk'.  I didn't even bother testing it in a glass before I mixed them as I was fairly confident I would drink it no matter what it tasted like since I like both on their own.  Sampling it again tonight and quite happy with the results. 

Using that to reset my palate (aka wash out the toothpaste and mouthwash remnants) so I can do a SbS of my long mingled SB blend (3:2 OWA:W12) and the as yet un-named mingle, that MadHatter suggested in the what bourbon are you drinking thread, of OWA:MM46 (3:2 as well so the proofs are nearly identical).  It should be interesting and hopefully a good substitute for the SB blend since W12 is impossible to find now...  though the last time I saw OWA on the shelf (haven't been shopping in quite a while as I am working on my bunker) was $40 instead of the state minimum price of ~25.

Edited by fozzy71
paragraphs

On 3/9/2014, 2:38:47, Phil T said:

I appreciate the vatting ideas concerning Stagg Jr. I just don't dig it as a stand alone pour

Me, too!  Trying to vat ER10:BT:StaggJr (dSculptor's 2014 recipe) tomorrow -- 50:25:25.  If the Patriots beat the Chiefs, I deserve it -- if the Patriots lose to the Chiefs, I need it (to paraphrase Napoleon as to why he always stopped at Moet & Chandon on his way to/from a campaign).   ;)

TTFN,

F.

8-)

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling corrections

I blended some Blanton's and OWA 2:1 in a glass last night. Enjoyed it and will try it again when I don't have palate fatigue. Tried it after a couple ounces of stagg Jr. One note of interest to me was that even at 2:1, the OWA still popped out in the flavor. 

Made up a fresh batch of my favorite blend: BT:OGD114 at a ratio I don't think I tried in the past of 3:2 which comes in at even 98 proof.  I think I had settled on 3:1 being my favorite in my early tests so this should be interesting.  I will probably give it a small taste later tonight along with a taste of each of it's parts alone as I haven't had a bottle of either open in a couple months.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.