The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am trying to replicate Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope, and I used Henry McKenna BIB, and Weller Special Reserve to add a bit more sweetness and lower the proof slightly. So far, it's not coming close---at least I was looking to get in the ball park, of adding a bit of sweetness to the HMKBIB. I'll let this "mature" in the bottle a bit more. Any other suggestions? I just find Parker's POH to be a fine bourbon.

I am trying to replicate Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope, and I used Henry McKenna BIB, and Weller Special Reserve to add a bit more sweetness and lower the proof slightly. So far, it's not coming close---at least I was looking to get in the ball park, of adding a bit of sweetness to the HMKBIB. I'll let this "mature" in the bottle a bit more. Any other suggestions? I just find Parker's POH to be a fine bourbon.

Though I've not tried this mix myself, what about EC12 and HMKBIB in some combo?

Maybe try using Larceny instead of the Weller... To my taste Weller SR just doesn't give me the sweetness or the texture that I get with Larceny. I find it very luscious and almost kind of "creamy" for lack of a better term. I've been enjoying a blend of Larceny and EC12 recently and have thought HMK BIB would work well with Larceny too.

Stagg Jr batch 1 and Bookers, cuz I like them both a ton so why not. Just 3oz of each in a 200ml bottle for giggles. I will be sampling this shortly but had to wash out the toothpaste taste with some OGD114:MCGBUB (motor city gas belly up bourbon). I am on a mission to try and drink nothing but vattings for the immediate future as I have so many made up right now I can't see any non-vatted bottles on my open shelf because all the vattings are blocking them from view.

...as I have so many made up right now I can't see any non-vatted bottles on my open shelf because all the vattings are blocking them from view.

I have this image in my mind of the mad scientist from the old 1940's movies hunched over a large laboratory table with bottles upon bottles and beakers and test tubes and bubbling vats of steaming liquids

I have this image in my mind of the mad scientist from the old 1940's movies hunched over a large laboratory table with bottles upon bottles and beakers and test tubes and bubbling vats of steaming liquids

if only it were so cool.

5jtt2Tt.png

Just had some OGD114:Larceny I had forgot I put in the bunker, next is likely BT:OGD114 that was also forgotten downstairs.

OGDBIB and 4RYL @ 50:50 does a very good imitation of ETL at about 40% less money and the same exact final abv.

Anyone else try this combo and agree on the similarities with ETL? Elmer is one of my favorite bourbons, but right now it's just impossible to find around Mid-MO... Would be great to find a mix that approximates that flavor profile.

My latest experiment was Barclay's with a splash of MMCS. Pretty darned tasty. I didn't really do any measuring or anything, so I may have to go back and see what I can come up with using some actual ratios. :grin: Might have to mix up a small batch and take to our tasting next Monday.;)

Cheers! Joe

I'm waiting for the patented Fozzy Blend. I'm pretty sure it will include OGD 114.

anyone trademark OGD114:BT yet? This stuff is heaven in a bottle. This bottle is 1:1 and I love it but think I might try a couple ratio tests of 3:2 and 2:3 with another 1:1 to see which I prefer.

confirmed awesome, made a pint last night and a fifth tonight. might be as good as the ec12:larceny mix. Cant recall if I have done ogd114:larceny or not but might give that a try also

edit to add: think I am going to have to kill of this stagg jr batch 1 and bookers mix. tasty stuff for sure but dont think it's better than either of it's component's straight.

Edited by fozzy71

anyone trademark OGD114:BT yet? This stuff is heaven in a bottle. This bottle is 1:1 and I love it but think I might try a couple ratio tests of 3:2 and 2:3 with another 1:1 to see which I prefer.

There's the "Fozzy Blend"!

I knew it would contain OGD114.

I think it was meant to be since those are the two I have the most multiples of bunkered.

I forget which member mentioned it now but it sounded good so I just mixed 3oz of EC12 with 3oz of Larceny in a 200ml bottle to try later and if I like it I will probably do a 375 or 750.
That is a tasty mix, definitely deserves a bigger bottle mixing and some mingle time before consuming.
Definitely a good marriage of flavors between those 2... The EC12 adds it's age and depth of flavor, and the Larceny adds it's luscious "creaminess". The mix has great viscosity too... Just hangs on the sides of the glass forever! Delicious!!

revisiting this, very tasty. it is what gave me the idea for the BT:114. I think I did 114:Larceny also and enjoyed it but not sure and I don't keep track of previous vattings very well other than in this thread. Yep, just searched the thread and I did try that mix previously. 114+anything = can't really go wrong imo.

HUGE to me has been finding a good partner for JBB 8yr, which I bought in large quantities for fear it would lose its age statement (which it eventually did), since I got tired of having the JBB by itself. I think I have found the perfect partner in G&W private stock, a dirt cheap NDP. Roughly a 50:50 mix works wonders. Still cannot believe how good this vatted stuff is.

Thanks, never heard of it. Obviously something our state liquor overlords don't want us to consume...

Mixed a couple new ones up:

Bulleit Rye / BT

OGD114 / Bulleit Rye

I had a pint of the bulleit (and have a GD Rye in the bunker) and I just don't seem to like rye as much as I do the straight bourbons and wheaters so I vatted it to help make it more enjoyable (hopefully) to drink.

Bought an antique decanter for $30 for my OGD114:BT mix

Gg113xP.png

Edited by fozzy71

Mixed up about 200ml of WT101 and RR10yr at 50/50. Trying to recreate the RR101 I read so much about. I think I have come up with Ryan's Reserve 8ish yr 95.5.

I mixed up some 2-ounce OGD-family vattings a few weeks ago and finally got around to trying them today.

I did:

OGD114 + Basil Hayden @ 1:1 (97 proof)

OGD114 + Beam Signature Craft High Rye @ 1:1 (102 proof) -- Beam says this is not the OGD recipe. Supposed to be "even higher" rye content, whatever that means.

OGD114 cut to 100 proof with water (for control)

I also had some OGD BIB to compare as well.

The OGD114 + BH is really nice. The BH brings some nice maturity while taming some of the fire of the 114. Shows that BH could be a great bourbon if they would bottle it a higher proof. I may keep this vatting on hand regularly.

The OGD114 + Sig Craft High Rye was even better, but I think it's too expensive per ounce for me to make it a regular, and I enjoy the Sig Craft enough on its own that I probably won't do this one again. I could definitely taste the "higher rye" mash bill of this one. There is a cherry note reminiscent of what I get from the 'B' recipe Four Roses bourbons that I haven't detected in any of the OGDs.

OGD114 cut to 100 proof with water, even after mingling for a few weeks, is very different from OGD BIB. The BIB is vibrant and fruity, whereas the the 114 w/ water is earthy and tannic by comparison. Either Beam uses much better water than I do or these are batched with a different profile in mind. The 114 tastes older to me. Both are good.

nice report, AMG. my impressions of the OGD114 (most bottles of it at least) vs the BIB are very similar, although some bottles of 114 have also had a lush tropical fruit thing going. often I end up vatting the 114 and BIB together in various ratios.

.... often I end up vatting the 114 and BIB together in various ratios.

I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. Do you have a preferred ratio?

I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. Do you have a preferred ratio?

It really depends on the my perceptions of the particular bottle of 114 being used, but the ones that seem most tannic

and earthy as amg described generally end being about 4 parts BIB to 1 part 114.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.