The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I use any bottle, sometimes one partly filled with a bourbon I want to start mingling. I don't use precise measurements, but some people do and therefore use beakers and measured tubes and that kind of thing.

I don't feel resting is necessary but some people do this. I would say that the more whiskeys in the blend, the more resting may help. But I can "tell" right away if a mingle works.

Just start in the glass, start with two or three whiskeys. The key is thinking what each one does and what you want to balance, and how. An strong oily whiskey, harsh on its own, may lend needed balance to a bland whiskey, so logically you use less of the assertive one in the mix. A bourbon heavy on spicy rye can lend savour to a low-rye whiskey, a woody one to one too young and uncomplex.

It's really very simple.

Gary

Of course any empty whisky bottle will do but I favor a square shape that's comfortable to hold. There are a surprising large number of decanter decanters in various antique shops, or at lest the ones I've been dragged through.

For measuring I use a small plastic lipped pitcher type measure that lists ounces on one side and mils on the other.

There are a surprising large number of decanter decanters in various antique shops, or at lest the ones I've been dragged through.

Being dragged through antique shops is something I can really relate too. A small price to pay for peace and tranquility.

I use these little metal Oxo measuring cups when, and usually try making small mingles (less than 2 oz total) before making something larger. For those, I love the little 2 oz bottles from Specialty Bottle, or I use empty 200 mL bottles (or I've used empty baby food bottles, which work well for something you're not going to have for an extended period). For the larger vatting, I'll use just a pyrex measuring cup. I always use empty bottles for decanters. I like the shape/size of the ETL bottle, and the flat surface is easy to create a custom label for.

I just use a glass measuring cup with ml. on it,walmart $3, I was also able to get a few older 200ml. J.W.dants from a fellow Sb'er,for my pre-samplers,then if I really like the vat I go on to some old BT bottles, I love these bottles for this purpose. Pretty soon your collection starts growing with all the different vats,and you find yourself wanting these more and more!

I always start with just my glencairn for trial purposes a little of this a little of that,then if it's good it goes to the 200ml,so on and so on,I really don't think it takes long for the marriage,I've gone back to some of mine and they taste the same as when first married.(IMHO)

Now here's one I just tried on Fri.,I just got me a bottle of the Booker's 25th and it is delicious! However near the end of the pour I was looking at my bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old, (which has a bourbon like quality to it already),so I said hey what the hell,I put in a few drops,and let me tell you Wow,just fantastic! My drinking buddy agreed.

I still have to say the ultimate one for me so far, is still my 20/20 of PVW20/EC20 that is some of the most fantastic juice I have ever had the privilege to taste.

And as I stated earlier , I made a spread sheet that works great for these vats,you just put in your juice and proof,and % and it calculates the final proof for you and so on, plus you can keep notes on all of them,be glad to share with anyone if they want it.

Vat on!:cool:

Bookers 25 yr anniv. and Ron Zacapa 23 yr old rum....? What, are you nuts ? !!! (Just kidding, It was damn god !)

I have a bottle of AS 4YO KSBW Kentucky Gentleman that has become my Mystery Vat. When ever I make a small vat that stinks, I add it to the big bottle. I also add the dregs of a bottle to the Mystery Vat, especially if it is hooch that is a bit tough to choke down. Over time the base KG has become something else entirely, and in a good way. Plus by using this method, my Mystery Vat is an ever-changing marvel.

I like this Mystery Vat concept, it sounds like a good way to tidy up the the bar by combining the remains of those near miss bottles.

Yes, you can't go wrong with it really and I feel again this is due to the fairly narrow range of flavours in bourbon and straight rye. At worst it will make a great cocktail.

Gary

Two new vats that has greatly improved bottles I was.not thrilled with:

Mostly full bottle of Makers vatted with 1/5 bottle of JBB (6 YO over here). It's pretty darn good- the nasty grassy aftertaste of the MM has been obliterated by the rye but you still get the wheat sweetness up front and a creamy linger. If worse comes to worse, this would be an.acceptable daily pour. It seems to be getting better as it marries.

Mostly full bottle of JD with a shot of JDSB (sample), shot of 101, and neck filled up with JBB 6 YO. Pretty nice so far, It seems to also be improving as it vatts. It tastes more outlaw, and brings up Junior, pills and 90 proof.

Cheers

Edited by Vadertime

Sounds very good. The logic especially of no. 1 is impeccable but then too a good taste is a good taste.

Gary

Well since I'm lazy I'm going to start with a "mystery" vat rather than measuring pours. I will however at least keep a log of what goes in it by bottle, amount (I guess I'll put a little energy into it), date and a tasting for each add.

Really needed a good reason to purchase a decanter. :cool:

Just tried a vat of EC12/AAA10 yr. 50/50...this merits further investigation... Ok, after further investigation while I'm trying to lick the bottom of my glass, it's a keeper! May play with proportions a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another keeper: ER10:BT:Stagg jr. First vat was Bt:ER10:stagg jr. @ (%)45:40:15 = 96.6 pf.. was very good, but then the next vat was Er10:Bt:Stagg jr @ 50:25:25 =101 pf. even better. I then tried it with a bit of water and it was quite nice,going to mix up a bigger batch to have on hand.

Here's another keeper: ER10:BT:Stagg jr. First vat was Bt:ER10:stagg jr. @ (%)45:40:15 = 96.6 pf.. was very good, but then the next vat was Er10:Bt:Stagg jr @ 50:25:25 =101 pf. even better. I then tried it with a bit of water and it was quite nice,going to mix up a bigger batch to have on hand.

These vattings seem like an excellent solution for people who have found the Stagg Jr to be too vicious. I haven't tried mine yet, but you've given me a great backup plan if it's required.

tbt

Hmmm.. very interesting..... WSR:AAA10 yr. 50:50...could be a keeper....!

2:1 Fighting Cock 103 and EC12. 100 proof and absolutely delicious. The EC12 takes the rough edges off the FC103. This is a very inexpensive but delicious blend.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Anybody done some Larceny/OFBIB/VSOF vatting? Not necessarily all three but some combo? I have all three around and was thinking both the VSOF and the Larceny could use some of the oomph of the OFBIB.

Anybody done some Larceny/OFBIB/VSOF vatting? Not necessarily all three but some combo? I have all three around and was thinking both the VSOF and the Larceny could use some of the oomph of the OFBIB.

No, but I tried a Larceny/OWA vatting and was underwhelmed (I actually like both of those by themselves far better than the combination).

That FC/EC12 sounds good,I just killed my EC12 and all I have is store select,but will have to try it. Here's another one that is going up towards the top of the list for me - absolutely delicious... AAA10 yr./Stagg jr. (70:30) =100 prf. I immediately vatted a 375 of it.If anyone else tries this let me know what you think of it.

next vat was Er10:Bt:Stagg jr @ 50:25:25 =101 pf. even better. I then tried it with a bit of water and it was quite nice,going to mix up a bigger batch to have on hand.

I didn't have any ER10, so I substituted a 50:50 vatting of EH Taylor SB and OC10. After a little fine tuning, I am really enjoying this.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a suggestion for a mix with my latest underwhelming bottle of ETL? BT? Stagg jr? (I would have to find a bottle) This last non-commemmorative bottle of ETL just isn't up to snuff.

Stagg Jr or Weller 12 if you want to try a four-grain blend. Surprised the ETL isn't up to snuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.