The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Reading these posts is so interesting. You guys are mad scientists. Any recommendations on how to get started vatting?

For me, it is similar to cooking. I often start with some end in mind - am I wanting something with some wheater and some rye-spice, or more on one end of the spectrum? Do I want more oak or less? What kind of proof? Or am I simply trying a recipe that someone else suggested? I would honestly say that 75% of the mingles I have made samples of and tried did not work out for me; not that they were undrinkable or anything, but they didn't bring anything new to the table - not enough for me to make a larger vatting. I think the key is to just have fun with it. I do enjoy mixing/matching in the 2oz Boston Round sample bottles, and letting them sit for a while and then lining up several to blind taste and make notes. Once I find a combination I like (such as OGD 114 and Ritt BIB), I'll play around with the ratios to find my sweet spot. With the SB Blend, I have two vats - both heavier on OWA (one 60/40, the other 70/30). I couldn't pick which I liked better - they're different and I like them both, so I made both. But I didn't like 50/50 as well.

The next round I may just do a small 1:1:1 and see where that goes but I am plenty happy with my current recipe and its has achieved keeper status on my shelf.

You have your own "blend of mashbills" going there. Nicely done.

For me, it is similar to cooking. I often start with some end in mind - am I wanting something with some wheater and some rye-spice, or more on one end of the spectrum? Do I want more oak or less? What kind of proof? Or am I simply trying a recipe that someone else suggested? I would honestly say that 75% of the mingles I have made samples of and tried did not work out for me; not that they were undrinkable or anything, but they didn't bring anything new to the table - not enough for me to make a larger vatting. I think the key is to just have fun with it. I do enjoy mixing/matching in the 2oz Boston Round sample bottles, and letting them sit for a while and then lining up several to blind taste and make notes. Once I find a combination I like (such as OGD 114 and Ritt BIB), I'll play around with the ratios to find my sweet spot. With the SB Blend, I have two vats - both heavier on OWA (one 60/40, the other 70/30). I couldn't pick which I liked better - they're different and I like them both, so I made both. But I didn't like 50/50 as well.

Hey Gary, 75% didn't work out?, my experience is on the other end, maybe 25% didn't, and they all bring something new to the table for me, but different strokes for different folks,it's something I don't do often but when I do, I definetly have fun with it,and that's all that counts , takes some of the monotony out of it, hope your cooking experiences have a better percentage...:lol: (Just couldn't pass that one up)

Well, when I say didn't work out, I mean that they didn't turn out to be something I would want to make a vatting of. They weren't bad necessarily - just not nice enough for me to spend any volume of the components in making a vatting. I think I only had a couple where I thought "Wow, that actually is worse than either component!", and those were when I was trying to make magic out of lousy whiskey through simply combining different ones :lol:

Yep,lousy whiskey is lousy whiskey no matter what you do with it, one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch.

I have been vatting for more than 20 years and completely disagree.

Gary

Just do it man (to Hawg '73). Take, say, Makers to Beam White, 3:1, or any HH price label. Just blend anything spicy/strong with anything mild/bland, for starters. It is very easy.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I have been vatting for more than 20 years and completely disagree.

Gary

Hey Gary.. disagree with the lousy whiskey thing? When I say lousy whiskey, I've only come across 1 or 2 in my time so far, if coke doesn't make them better? Never really tried vatting them with something else to make them better, I always vatted for something different,and always used whiskey I liked and some that I not so liked,but never lousy whiskey.Case in point: Michter's unblended American whiskey, just can't stand the taste of it period,maybe I'll try it with something...any recommendations?

Hey Gary.. disagree with the lousy whiskey thing? When I say lousy whiskey, I've only come across 1 or 2 in my time so far, if coke doesn't make them better? Never really tried vatting them with something else to make them better, I always vatted for something different,and always used whiskey I liked and some that I not so liked,but never lousy whiskey.Case in point: Michter's unblended American whiskey, just can't stand the taste of it period,maybe I'll try it with something...any recommendations?

I agree with you as to that whiskey, not that it is bad in absolute terms, it just has a particular taste some just don't like (for me the Jim Beam group is similar). But yes I believe by combining it with other whiskeys you could get a very good tasting vatting. I might do 50% the Michter's, 25% Rittenhouse, 25% Knob Creek or any good whiskey 100 proof or more. (Knob Creek only mildly has the Beam taste and is excellent for blending IMO). Another approach is to use the nutty earthy flavour of Jack Daniels, maybe 1:1. In my experience, the mash bills and yeast backgrounds get "reorganized" into something new and winning. To be sure I'm not talking about whiskey that is mouldy or spoiled through bad storage in some way (oxidized, say), but this is my experience FWIIW.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a 50/50 mingle of Old Ezra 101 and Old Forrester 86 proof (dusty). I have a handle of the OF86, and like it neat - but think I enjoy this mingle more. I bumped this against a similar mingle (using WT101 & the same OF86). I thought the Old Ezra brought a bit more burnt caramel to the party, and the sweetness seemed to get heavier and sharper as it moved across the palate. The WT101 had a creamier mouthfeel, and was a bit brighter/sharper (and less sweet) in comparison. Going to try the Old Ezra with some OF Sig in the future!

Thanks to Gary, tried my first vatting: 50/50 BT and Stagg Jr. (134). Brings out the best of both. Now I wish I had more of the Jr.

Looking at Gary's efforts with OE 7/101, I tried my own 50:50 of an EWSB 2003 and OE 7/101. The EWSB was a store select that was just a couple weeks shy of 10 years old and was terrific when first opened. Now down to about 25% remaining in the bottle, the woody/tannic/bitter/drying notes have become more prominent. The Old Ezra rounds that off and bumps up the proof nicely. I think this is how both bottles will meet their end.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried some OF12/Larceny last night, 40/60, while both of these are outstanding on their own, they are spectacular vatted.Had a few of these,could have just stayed with this for the night, but there were others that needed to be tasted.This moved up near the top of the list of vats for me.

Nothing in the works right now, but…….. I have a regular bottle of MM open. :rolleyes: I also have a bottle of MM cask strength open.:grin: I can foresee that in the near future, some type of vatting of the two will be the order of the day. :cool: I'll be sure and post when that happens.

I did a 50/50 vatting of OGD 114 and Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 year. Mostly because the decanter was getting low and I had some OGD 114 sitting around. It's really good.

Nothing in the works right now, but…….. I have a regular bottle of MM open. :rolleyes: I also have a bottle of MM cask strength open.:grin: I can foresee that in the near future, some type of vatting of the two will be the order of the day. :cool: I'll be sure and post when that happens.

Update! I vatted a 1:1 sample of MM and MMCS. I took it to a regular Monday night tasting (scotch this week) that I attended with Vosgar and a couple of other friends. The general consensus was that it was pretty darned good. I think MM may have missed the boat on this one. Maybe they should have tried a 101 proof version of MM before coming out with a cask strength. :skep:

On a side note here, Gary brought along a sample too. Like me, just in case the scotch wasn't particularly good. Anyway, he brought a nice sample of a PS of Knob Creek 120 proof. All I can say is, dayummmm! If all Beam stuff tasted as good as this………………. No funky or "off" Beam yeasty flavor at all. It was slightly sweet, chewy, very flavorful, and totally unique. Sure didn't figure it for a Beam product. Totally surprised me in a very delightful way.

Joe

65:35 OGD114 and Compass Box Peat Monster. Spec-freakin-TACular...

65:35 OGD114 and Compass Box Peat Monster. Spec-freakin-TACular...

Very interesting vatting! Reminds me somewhat of a High West Double Rye finished in a peated SMS barrel that is fantastic. OGD114 is a high rye, so it would seem reasonable the peat of the Compass Box and rye of the OGD would compliment each other similarly.

Due to spacing issues and carrying booze on a flight I vatted OGD 114 and Pepper 1776 100 Proof Rye (unfiltered) in an unremembered proportion (If I had to guess, I'd say the vatt was OGD heavy). The vatt is pretty good! The young rye adds a brightness and resiny freshness to the OGD which brings a richness, a depth charge of power. Its a pretty serious pour one that cannot be taken casually. Even when 50/50 diluted with water is still has strong character. If you have the two, give it a test.

I also picked up some sample bottles of Kavalan (300ml or so) and Kavalan Cask Strenght (50ml or so). Both are very good, but too sweet and fruity/sherryish for my taste. While the CS is impressive enough, the bottle is too small to really enjoy thoroughly so I added it to the standard issue. The result is a much improved pour, which can probably be described as "awesome," but again, not my thing.

Edited by Vadertime

Got a little crazy last night, was drinking me some Larceny, and decided to go all out with the wheaters:

Larceny

OF12

WLW '13

W12

OWA

WSR

and a little Bernheim

First nosing was incredible, got mostly chocolate from it, then it disappeared not sure what was next, the flavor was strong,complex, thought I could pick out the WLW out of it. Overall I think it's worth mixing up a batch with a bit more control this time. I just started adding a bit here and a bit there into my glencairn, shook it up and let it sit for a short time, but couldn't wait that long so I had to dive in.

• 4 weeks later...

Did a 50/50 of PVW15/LotB the other night, although good as it may be, I did enjoy them separately better, but the 15 just overpowered the 12 at that ratio, so next time, I'm going with a 2:1.

I also did a CEHT Bp: Angels Envy : Michter's rye vat ; now this was quite remarkable and requires some further refinement! First attempt was AE:MR @ 50/50 with a pinch of the CEHT BP.

Did a 50/50 of PVW15/LotB the other night, although good as it may be, I did enjoy them separately better, but the 15 just overpowered the 12 at that ratio, so next time, I'm going with a 2:1.

I've never had the Lot B, only the 15 and the 10/107. Curious as to what you were trying to accomplish with this blend? What were your expectations?

If the 15 overpowered the lot B, I'd think this would be a good way of extending the 15 year old ... :)

I've never had the Lot B, only the 15 and the 10/107. Curious as to what you were trying to accomplish with this blend? What were your expectations?

If the 15 overpowered the lot B, I'd think this would be a good way of extending the 15 year old ... :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.