The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My first experiment was using Weller 12 and Willett 4yr Rye (couple different ratios), and then I subbed OWA for W12. Honestly - I have NO idea why I was using wheated bourbon, as I suspect Dave doesn't use that in Campfire. Likely a case of "got a lot of this on hand" :lol: I think the OGD114 would do far better! And Peat Monster seemed less medicinal/band-aidy to me, which I think would be a plus!

Ah . I was thinking the OGD114 with the CBPM would result in a nice possible combo, when I was eating brownie brittle with the CBPM, and loved it. I'm hoping the corner of the brownie pan flavor of the OGD will fill in nicely, when paired with the CBPM. I gotta dig that OGD out of the bunker and get to work! :lol:

I merged the old thread into the new thread as the new thread title contains something that members will actually search for. Vbulletin search is weak enough without having to deal with creative thread names.

Good idea! Thanks. At least we're all on the same page now.

Ah . I was thinking the OGD114 with the CBPM would result in a nice possible combo, when I was eating brownie brittle with the CBPM, and loved it. I'm hoping the corner of the brownie pan flavor of the OGD will fill in nicely, when paired with the CBPM. I gotta dig that OGD out of the bunker and get to work! :lol:

Definitely look forward to hearing the results on that! OGD114 is magic like that; such a nice whiskey on its own (and very hard to beat for the price!), and does an amazing job when mingled with other things. I'll bet those two will get along famously!

MY go to is #1 Weller 12yr-47% #2 OWA 107pr-40% #3 Willett 4 year 110pr Rye-13% great stuff

OGD 114 is very useful for vatting because:

1) It is high proof and therefore boosts the proof of most other whiskeys.

2) It has a strong Beam flavor which, used correctly, adds interest and complexity to other whiskeys without simply reprising that flavor.

3) It has a reasonable price.

4) Due to its rye-like character, it suits blending with rye whiskeys (although in truth any bourbon does if you do it right).

Gary

Here's one I did recently: Dickel beige label, Beam Black, Four Roses (mostly Yellow Label but a touch of the current Limited Edition), Bulleit rye, and a bit of Collingwood 21. More or less equal proportions except where I said a touch and also there was less Bulleit rye used compared to the other main constituents. Possibly some Jack added too (vatting of various singles, touch of Sinatra, Silver Select and Jack Black). The mouth feel is like a soft pillow, the aroma rich and full, the taste buttery and completely integrated with hints of yeast, vitamin and orange. Kind of like a hot buttered rum except with ultra-deluxe bourbon and not hot. :)

The truth is, for almost any of the whiskeys on its own, I wouldn't drink more than a sip. Whereas the vatting is a completely different animal that offers everything I want.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Here's one I did recently: Dickel beige label, Beam Black, Four Roses (mostly Yellow Label but a touch of the current Limited Edition), Bulleit rye, and a bit of Collingwood 21. More or less equal proportions except where I said a touch and also there was less Bulleit rye used compared to the other main constituents. Possibly some Jack added too (vatting of various singles, touch of Sinatra, Silver Select and Jack Black). The mouth feel is like a soft pillow, the aroma rich and full, the taste buttery and completely integrated with hints of yeast, vitamin and orange. Kind of like a hot buttered rum except with ultra-deluxe bourbon and not hot. :)

The truth is, for almost any of the whiskeys on its own, I wouldn't drink more than a sip. Whereas the vatting is a completely different animal that offers everything I want.

Gary

How in THE heck did you come up with that one? That's a lot of pieces to just up and suddenly decide to mingle together. What was the evolution that led to this?

Good question. It wasn't thought out a priori, rather, I had full bottles of Beam Black and the Dickel I just couldn't drink on their own due to their powerful house flavours so well known here. So I started by vatting those two, which knocked down the edges of each but still preserved a lot of their taste. I then "diluted" those with the fruity but mild Four Roses, added some nutty character with the Jacks, increased the rye component of the "mash bill" with the Bulleit to have that element poke through more, and finally added some Collingwood 21 to give it a slightly older profile since that whiskey has a very good wood character, plus its rye component jacked up that part of the mash again. The result is like melted butter in light syrup over whole wheat pancakes in the country in the fall when the air has a slight tinge of wood smoke from fires here and there. Anyone here would love it (really). But it started as a way to use whiskey I simply could not drink on its own.

Gary

The result is like melted butter in light syrup over whole wheat pancakes in the country in the fall when the air has a slight tinge of wood smoke from fires here and there.

Best...description....ever! :toast:

Good question. It wasn't thought out a priori, rather, I had full bottles of Beam Black and the Dickel I just couldn't drink on their own due to their powerful house flavours so well known here. So I started by vatting those two, which knocked down the edges of each but still preserved a lot of their taste. I then "diluted" those with the fruity but mild Four Roses, added some nutty character with the Jacks, increased the rye component of the "mash bill" with the Bulleit to have that element poke through more, and finally added some Collingwood 21 to give it a slightly older profile since that whiskey has a very good wood character, plus its rye component jacked up that part of the mash again. The result is like melted butter in light syrup over whole wheat pancakes in the country in the fall when the air has a slight tinge of wood smoke from fires here and there. Anyone here would love it (really). But it started as a way to use whiskey I simply could not drink on its own.

Gary

Tried some of my OGD 114/VOB 6yr that had been sitting for some time, 50/50- 100 pf.yesterday,quite tasty. I think that vatting is all about proportions,and knowing your ingredients.

Gary

I added very little of the Bulleit, and not too much of the 4R 2014 LE Small Batch, but small amounts can appreciably alter the balance and mouth feel of a vatting.

Thanks for your compliments, and to Gary for his. But really this stuff is very simple. It's exactly like seasoning a dish for the oven, it's simplicity itself (and was always and continues to be done by many distilled spirits producers around the world). It's just that as consumers, the imposing and "official" nature of a label kind of conditions us to think we can't do this. But we can and often with better results than you will find in any one bottle. I would never, capital n, throw anything out except whiskey that is literally spoiled through having gone mouldy in a damp basement or if it is heavily oxidised. Even very young whiskey can be used, to advantage, in vattings if you use a small amount.

Gary

Does anybody have any recommendations or any experiences you've had with making your own Bou-Ryes? I only have a few ryes on hand, RittBiB and Bulleit, maybe a few others but they're too pricey to mingle.

Also one I mixed up 3 days ago but haven't drank yet, and it was recommended to me by a friend who swears by buying 750's of these two and just mixes them together, but OGDBiB and WT101 in a 50:50 vatting. Like I said I haven't tried it yet, I mixed up 100ml to try tonight though.

Does anybody have any recommendations or any experiences you've had with making your own Bou-Ryes? I only have a few ryes on hand, RittBiB and Bulleit, maybe a few others but they're too pricey to mingle.

I was having a pour of the SB blend last evening (Weller 12 and Old Weller Antique), and decided to add some Baby Saz rye. It was quite good IMHO.

I would never, capital n, throw anything out except whiskey that is literally spoiled through having gone mouldy in a damp basement or if it is heavily oxidised. Even very young whiskey can be used, to advantage, in vattings if you use a small amount.

Gary

I just couldn't stand the taste of the Bulleit Rye. It seemed to ruin everything for me. I probably could've just reduced the proportions but in the end, the 1/4 bottle left wasn't worth the effort. I do have one more bottle that I'm not fond of left, an Alberta Springs 10 year Rye. From memory it tasted better than the Bulleit so I'll give that a shot for my next experiment.

I just couldn't stand the taste of the Bulleit Rye. It seemed to ruin everything for me. I probably could've just reduced the proportions but in the end, the 1/4 bottle left wasn't worth the effort. I do have one more bottle that I'm not fond of left, an Alberta Springs 10 year Rye. From memory it tasted better than the Bulleit so I'll give that a shot for my next experiment.

For real??? Im new to bourbon only 4 months in, but I regularly drink my bulleit rye with just a splash. Seriously its not garbage juice, I sip it and love the taste. You dumped it, for real a bourbon nerd dumped whiskey out??? Or do we have a whiskey hipster in our presence?

Also one I mixed up 3 days ago but haven't drank yet, and it was recommended to me by a friend who swears by buying 750's of these two and just mixes them together, but OGDBiB and WT101 in a 50:50 vatting. Like I said I haven't tried it yet, I mixed up 100ml to try tonight though.

Well, tell us how was it?

Did a small mixture of Four Roses OESF Private Selection with Talisker Speakeasy K&L Exclusive. I like what I'm tasting so far.

For real??? Im new to bourbon only 4 months in, but I regularly drink my bulleit rye with just a splash. Seriously its not garbage juice, I sip it and love the taste. You dumped it, for real a bourbon nerd dumped whiskey out??? Or do we have a whiskey hipster in our presence?

It's by no means swill or garbage, but I personally do not like it at all and each time I had it neat or on the rocks I wanted to move onto something else. Whiskey is meant to be a treat for me and the Bulleit Rye doesn't fall into that category in my book. It does works better in a cocktail and I've gone through 3/4, which is more than enough. I tried to give it away to two friends and none of them wanted it. If you enjoy it, than keep on sipping away.

Did a 50/50 vat of Bernheim/Larceny, although not bad it's components are better on their own. IMHO

Try 3:1 Bernheim to Larceny. Or 3:1 Larceny to Bernheim.

Gary

Hey Gary, funny you suggested that,because after we tried it I said the same thing, that I would use more of the Bernheim than the Larceny,didn't think of the other way though, and since it was a partnership vat,(he had the Bernheim and I have the Larceny),I will have to wait until these 2 meet again.They sure do have there own uniqueness to them.I think I still prefer the Larceny over the other though.

Interesting, Larceny albeit a wheater has the typical bourbon palate and the other does not since it is a straight wheat. But I think it might work either way really!

Gary

Trying my own 4R Small Batch Barrel Proof. Using an old decanter that was my Grandfather's, from 1963.

Four ounces each of...

OBSK - 11 years 6 months - 109 proof

OESO - 10 years 9 months - 115.6 proof

OESQ - 9 years 7 months - 120.8 proof

OESV - 12 years 2 months - 115.4 proof

post-10798-14489821059933_thumb.jpg

post-10798-14489821059386_thumb.jpg

post-10798-14489821059386_thumb.jpg

post-10798-14489821059933_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.