The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally purchased a decanter about a month and being the lazy old fart I am I've started a mystery vat. When a bottle gets to be less than a pour in it goes.

About 1/3 full now. Not going to try it until it gets to the top.

Anyone have a suggestion for a mix with my latest underwhelming bottle of ETL? BT? Stagg jr? (I would have to find a bottle) This last non-commemmorative bottle of ETL just isn't up to snuff.

Anyone have a suggestion for a mix with my latest underwhelming bottle of ETL? BT? Stagg jr? (I would have to find a bottle) This last non-commemmorative bottle of ETL just isn't up to snuff.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with this bottle of ETL I have as well - it isn't bad, just seems to be lacking. I put just a bit of OGD BiB in last night, maybe 9 ETL : 1 OGD and it punched it up just a bit without it loosing the ETL character.

One bottle doesn't a trend make, but I thought I saw a few other posts about commenting that std. ETL seemed a bit less than it once was.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if there is another active thread with this topic, but I couldn't find anything of immediate interest.

The purpose of this thread is to just try and capture what people are mixing in terms of different whiskeys into unique pours.

I know that some people are vatting to try and get through a difficult or otherwise unenjoyable whiskey, but I know a few are experimenting and trying to come up with something unique and interesting. So I thought it might be fun to see what people are doing in this area.

Personally, I usually just drink or use any whiskey as-is, because I firmly believe in capturing a single moment (or expression) of a given whiskey. But that said, I'm also willing to experiment, should something come along that piques my interest.

For the sake of getting this train rolling, I was inspired by HD 335's comment in another thread about trying to mix Barterhouse with OWA. Personally I like Barterhouse for what it is, but I can see that it might not to be to everyone's liking with the heavy influence of oak that it has.

So what to do about it? The influence of oak is pretty heavy, so it would make sense to vat it with something that is equally as intense, or even more so. My instinct would be to try to enhance what Barterhouse already has, not hide it. So I would realistically try to find a whiskey of a similar profile but younger in age. As Barterhouse is supposed to be OLD Old Charter juice, it seems to make sense to try and use something from that line, but I only have access to BT Old Charter juice, and I don't think it is that similar. Plus I don't have any to mix anyway. :hot:

Recently though I cracked open a bottle of OFBB'13 and immediately thought it smelled a lot like Barterhouse. And I mean a LOT like Barterhouse. In the taste department, I don't find them that comparable (OFBB'13 is fantastic stuff!), but there are such similarities that I'd swear OFBB'13 was somehow a younger expression of Barterhouse.

So I think I have found my candidate for vatting and did a straight 50/50 mix of both Barterhouse and OFBB'13.

The results? I love it! This is a fantastic blend. The added spiciness of the OFBB'13 works perfectly with the oakiness of Barterhouse. It's simply amazing! The two together meld so well I would seriously consider vatting two whole bottles to make this...if it weren't such an expensive (and in my mind - wasteful) endeavor. But if you don't care for Barterhouse and you happen to have some OFBB around, you might want to give this a shot.

So what other vatting magic has SB to offer? Go! :stickpoke:

Other than the SB blend the only thing I have going is a mystery vat. When I have less than a pour left in a bottle it goes into the decanter.

I probably have more than 10 in their now, nothing under 90 proof, including ryes & wheaters.

I have done the SB blend on several occasions. I don't do much vatting but interestingly enough, today I poured a 50/50 of Weller 12 and Larceny. It actually worked out quite nicely. I will have to do a sbs with SB blend and this newfound concoction to see which I like better.

Awww shucks... my short time here has made an impact on another member :cool: Thanks for starting this thread up s8ist, and I also thought there was thread dedicated to vatting but I didn't see it while I was searching for it yesterday evening after making my OWA107 / Barterhouse blend. Well, the blend didn't work out as well as I hope. I only let it sit for about 20 minutes and my notes were that OWA really overpowered the Barterhouse at the end. Some of the dryness of Barterhouse and oak made it through but the finish was all OWA.

Another blend I did last year was a standard Four Roses Single Barrel mixed 50/50 with a Japanese Whisky, Hibiki 12. I haven't tried it again, but I do remember why I did it. During that evening I didn't know what I wanted, the 4R was a bit spicy but I was in the mood for it, while at the same time I was in the mood for the subtle malt Japanese flavor. The blend really hit the spot for me that night and I ended up stumbling around the house

Here's a couple of older closed threads - I'm sure there are others.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?4352-Vatting-Bourbons

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?11145-Vatting-Success-Stories

I always find vatting interesting. Older woodier bottles, if off-balance with too much wood can improve with similar younger whiskies to give some brightness and lift. The SB blend has also fascinated me, since it is the same whiskey at 12 years old and lower proof with a younger version at higher proof, and is often preferred here. Yet, if BT offered a NAS wheater at 100 proof, it may not get the love as an age-stated brand.

While sometimes we complain about NAS whiskies, we often make our own when we have a bottle that isn't really doing the trick! Look at what High West has done with their NDP ryes, as another example ... some of the parts, and all that ...

Hey guys, glad to see you are trying the vatting thing,please post any new ones on the Madvatter strikes again thread,so that we may continue to add to the list of vats, thanks... and Vat-on.:cool:

I experimented with vatting for the first time this week. I wanted to participate in the BOTM, but I refuse to buy JBW unless I'm in full-fledged John Daly mode (and luckily that isn't the case). My decanter was also empty of Weller 12 so it seemed the perfect opportunity to experiment. Instead of buying JBW, I got some JBB, but my cutoff is also usually 90 proof so I decided to add Knob Creek 100 proof to it.

Specifically I vatted 2:1 JBB:KC. The result is 90.7 proof, 8.3 year, for $19.99 weighted average price. I haven't tried it yet, it's still marinating, so maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl.

Other than W12, I can't think of many widely available products that meet the 90p / 8yo / $20 criteria... WT101 maybe? BT might. And I don't think it's possible to create those specs with any other vatting combination, at least not within a single distillery and / or mash bill.

Happy Bourbon Day Eve to us all. Let it be a merry one.

With bottles I am totally satisfied with I am less likely to experiment, others however yield some surprising and great results. My most common and first experiment was W12 and 4RYL. I like this one and its very inexpensive, I like it so much I am looking forward to subbing in OWA to bump the proof a bit more. The sweetness of the YL offsets some of the W12 char and creates a balance I enjoy ( 4 grain to boot).

The real benefits to vatting for me have been with less that stellar flavor profiles. There are a couple that individually I don't love but the 50/50 combo transformed both into something I love! I vatted as a way to kill a bottle I didn't know how I would get through (waaay over oaked) and as it is a GS that is long gone I can't replace it, well I would in a heartbeat now because the vatting is so fantastic. I paired it with a heavily spicy bottle with a slightly creamy characteristic. This combo does not retain its stand alone signature flavors instead they combine into a different flavor profile, integrated, delicious, and damn I wish I had more!!

Other attempts haven't been as successful. I took two that I like stand alone and the flavors together don't mesh, its like a light switch flips mid sip, night and day where each remain distinct and separate.

Experimentation is the key,its all been fun interesting and educational, just what this little hobby should be.

Ever since I tried High West Campfire, blending various types of whiskies has intrigued me. While I haven't tried to come up with a blend like Campfire on my own, I am interested in any similar blends other SBers have tried.

Was looking for an opportunity to utilize the last of my CEHT BP (which I thought was OK, but not great for the money). Made up a small sample combining it with some Bourbon de Luxe (ND whiskey from 1987) at a 50:50 ratio, resulting in a 107 proof mingle. Forgot about it for nearly a week, and tried it tonight . . . one of my favorites so far. The dusty BDL provides that creamy mouthfeel I love with dusties, and does the same with the nose. It is so rich, with that ND butterscotch not lost behind the brazen force that is CEHT BP. In fact, at least for my palate, this is one of those few mingles where the result is significantly greater than the sum of its parts. Makes me want to try some other barrel proof mingles with this BDL (which I like on its own well enough, but at 80 proof - it isn't one of my favorites).

Here's an odd mix that seems good so far. Some Pure Kentucky XO that I found cloyingly sweet, mixed about 3:1 with some light Single Oak Project. Neither great alone, but together, not bad.

Here's one that didn't go as well as I hoped for. Maybe some of the more experienced vatters can mess with the proportions to get it right. Barterhouse and OWA 107.

In case anyone is looking for tools and I know one was mentioned, but I grabbed a nice little glass measuring cup at walmart for $3, and found an aisle that had these awesome glass carafes for $4, and theyre fairly good sized. Probably 750 mL or slightly above. Large for vats but if you have a blend you like you can do a full size quickly. Plus they are cool looking, resealable and provide a hermetic seal. Should work but haven't used the carafe yet.

post-11142-14489820990539_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmj_203

Also good vatting tools, and even reduced sizes if you like switching to a smaller bottle as the level drops, or even for sending/passing samples or just gifting a few hundred mL to friends. I save all my old redhot, tabasco, and any small glass jars. I just soak them in hot water and dish detergent for a few days, then wash them out and let them dry a few days. After that they have no residual smell of hot sauce or previous contents.

post-11142-14489820991089_thumb.jpg

post-11142-14489820991089_thumb.jpg

Here's one that didn't go as well as I hoped for. Maybe some of the more experienced vatters can mess with the proportions to get it right. Barterhouse and OWA 107.

Maybe a mod could combine this with the Madvatter thread,so that were all on the same page?

Ever since I tried High West Campfire, blending various types of whiskies has intrigued me. While I haven't tried to come up with a blend like Campfire on my own, I am interested in any similar blends other SBers have tried.

I tried a couple mingles of Laphroaig and some bourbons and ryes to try to get something close to HW Campfire.

Hey Gary, which bourbons did you try with the Laphroaig? Any OGD114, by chance?

My first experiment was using Weller 12 and Willett 4yr Rye (couple different ratios), and then I subbed OWA for W12. Honestly - I have NO idea why I was using wheated bourbon, as I suspect Dave doesn't use that in Campfire. Likely a case of "got a lot of this on hand" :lol: I think the OGD114 would do far better! And Peat Monster seemed less medicinal/band-aidy to me, which I think would be a plus!

Maybe a mod could combine this with the Madvatter thread,so that were all on the same page?

I merged the old thread into the new thread as the new thread title contains something that members will actually search for. Vbulletin search is weak enough without having to deal with creative thread names.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.