What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Also enjoying a small pour of WT RB. It always seems to hit the right notes with me, which is great since it's the cheapest readily available high-proof bourbon around here.

Got two bottles. A classic.

Here's a link to a Fred Minnick blogpost re: a craft whiskey I am familiar with.

http://www.fredminnick.com/2015/08/17/australia-to-import-catoctin-creek-ryes/

Catoctin Creek in Purcellville, Virginia, makes some nice products AND will be selling them in Australia soon. I like their ryes although they ARE grainy/grassy. If you like the minty finish of MPG ryes, you'll be disappointed - there's mint but just a hint.

DISCLOSURE: I just like their products; I don't even know the owners - never been there; just go to bars that have their products and buy some on my own.

Oh, yeah: more info - http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Reason for the apparent off-thread post which isn't

Not readily. I passed up a bottle yesterday @ $92.
That's insane. Stocked up before I stopped my o.s jaunts. $20 was all you need. Why are we so dicked around with pricing?

It is a "Barrel Proof" offering, even at that low proof. The whiskey was barreled at a low 107 proof, and actually lost proof during its 17 years in the rickhouses. A real oddity, for sure.
I hope so. Would love to try it here before splashing the cash. I've read several positive reviews but half of me thinks it's just a marketing ploy of bourbon they didn't know what to do with.

Having a couple drinks at the Gresham in Brissie. You guys have an amazing Bourbon bar here in QLD!!!

We sure do! And Ryan - the guy who runs the place is an awesome guy! Really knows his bourbon!

I hope so. Would love to try it here before splashing the cash. I've read several positive reviews but half of me thinks it's just a marketing ploy of bourbon they didn't know what to do with.

Well, I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to open them up to find <90 proof whiskey ! :lol:

I guess this is the case, When you're given lemons, make lemonade. Thankfully, this sounds like good lemonade. I look forward to trying mine when it gets in.

We sure do! And Ryan - the guy who runs the place is an awesome guy! Really knows his bourbon!

I wonder if Ryan is on here? Amazing selection, I'll definitely go back.

• 2 weeks later...

After 6 weeks in Brissie, finally home to a final few pours of 4 Roses OBSk Binnys pick from last yr. Was gonna do a side by side with an April Gift shop pick of same recipe but am feeling a bit tired. Love Four Roses, it always pleases!

attachment.php?attachmentid=21475&stc=1

post-10510-14489822750758_thumb.jpg

You gotta love 11 day old bourbon! :bigeyes:

I presume there is a story there? 2012 perhaps?

After 6 weeks in Brissie, finally home to a final few pours of 4 Roses OBSk Binnys pick from last yr. Was gonna do a side by side with an April Gift shop pick of same recipe but am feeling a bit tired. Love Four Roses, it always pleases!

Hmm, completely misread that label! Thought it said bottled.

Yeah, I picked up a couple. It's not on special that often and $53 is a steal.

Also got some Larceny, Evan Williams SB 04, and Four Roses SB this week. All new for me. Going to do a head to head with Larceny and Makers 46 now.

Let us know what you thought of the Larceny and Makers 46... both excellent examples IMO.

Picked up some Pike Creek Port Finished Canadian Whisky yesterday for Dad for Fathers Day. Hoping to sample it and also crack a bottle of Kentucky Dram tomorrow.

oh, and for our Brisbane members, Canadian Club ambassador Dan Tullio is in town today and tomorrow doing some (I assume tastings and signings)

5th September

Gasworks, Teneriffe

2:00-3:30pm

&

Dan Murphy's, Hamilton- (QLD)

4:00-5:30pm

6th September

First Choice, Toowong

2:30-3:30pm

&

The Triffid, Newstead

5:00-7:00pm

Dans have dropped the price of Blantons Private Reserve to $53, grabbed a bottle, first one in a long while

Not a single bottle on a store shelf anywhere in Western Australia according to the DM website. Thanks for the heads up in any case!

Let us know what you thought of the Larceny and Makers 46... both excellent examples IMO.

I had a small pour of each then a large pour of the Makers. Richer, smoother, fuller, much better mouth feel. Almost felt like it wasn't chill filtered in comparison to the Larceny. I'll revisit it in a few weeks. The first pour of a new bottle is often a little harsh i find, compared to the Makers which was in it's last 3rd and probably 3-4 months on the shelf.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.