What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just ordered a MM Cask Strength and BT Cream Liquor. Should be here next week. Can't wait. Now if only we could get the chocolate bourbon ball liquor from Barton shipped out here!

Someone mention Barton? Just got home from an extremely (decided evening before) last minute trip to the States. Spent 3 days on the bourbon trail and ended up in Chicago/Milwaukee.

Candy-land.

post-10510-14489822340412_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822340972_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822341535_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822342099_thumb.jpg

If if your ever near Chicago I highly recommend Delilahs. Awesome place.

post-10510-14489822342648_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822340412_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822340972_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822341535_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822342099_thumb.jpg

post-10510-14489822342648_thumb.jpg

Nice buys! If you haven't had Barton before, I hope you enjoy it - it's a favourite of mine :) Out of interest, did Customs sting you on the way back in?

By bourbon trail, do you mean you ended up in Kentucky, or did you go bourbon hunting in Chicago?

Good stuff. I'm going next year but won't leave Cali (going for the Superbowl). Wonder what I'll find out west.

Nice buys! If you haven't had Barton before, I hope you enjoy it - it's a favourite of mine :) Out of interest, did Customs sting you on the way back in?

By bourbon trail, do you mean you ended up in Kentucky, or did you go bourbon hunting in Chicago?

I was on the lookout for stuff i haven't had before and what I thought was only available locally. The Heaven Hill intrigued me and my friend said his dad loved VoB. Came close to springing for the gift shop bottles at Heaven Hill, but wallet was still crying from the previous purchases.

i flew into Ky, hung out with a friend for a few days and then hit the bourbon trail. Drove up North to have dinner with the In-laws. Lucky for me I had some helpers bring back 5 of the bottles to avoid duty. Bad thing about a rental car is I totally could gave filled it with booze.

Sadly I've had clogged sinuses from the flight home so haven't cracked anything yet.

Good stuff. I'm going next year but won't leave Cali (going for the Superbowl). Wonder what I'll find out west.

That sounds awesome.

Sadly I've had clogged sinuses from the flight home so haven't cracked anything yet.

One of the funny side-affects of this hobby, and a definite side affect of Australia not having much of a bourbon selection for years is that I tend to 'nudge' my family into vacations that take us to bourbon buying areas. Our plans over the next 24 months include Hawaii & New Zealand this year, Japan or Kentucky then Singapore or New Zealand next year and tentatively California early in 2017. Coincidence that these are all great bourbon retail destinations... I think not :grin:

One of the funny side-affects of this hobby, and a definite side affect of Australia not having much of a bourbon selection for years is that I tend to 'nudge' my family into vacations that take us to bourbon buying areas. Our plans over the next 24 months include Hawaii & New Zealand this year, Japan or Kentucky then Singapore or New Zealand next year and tentatively California early in 2017. Coincidence that these are all great bourbon retail destinations... I think not :grin:

Smart man. You do what you gotta do for a fine bourbon.

Good stuff. I used to live in the US and am kicking myself I wasnt 'into' bourbon back then. Every time I get annoyed about the selection or pricing here (even though 99% of my bunker is sourced from the U.S.) I think about the crappy parts of the world I've been to without bourbon at all!

Dont tell the missus, but I sorta nudged her away from Fiji for the honeymoon and now we are going back to Japan :) She also wins as she loves Japanese Whisky, so I guess actually it wasnt much of a push lol.

I have a work friend going to NZ and she has offered to bring me back some bourbon. Any recommendations on what to ask her to look out for?

Drinking some old 6yr FR atm and loving it. Also been hitting the WT Honey pretty hard as well as BT Bourbon Cream. Winter brings out my sweet tooth.

I have a work friend going to NZ and she has offered to bring me back some bourbon. Any recommendations on what to ask her to look out for?

I can put you onto a couple of different places - depends on where In NZ they're going. It's also worth checking out Heaven Hill New Zealand. If there's anything you are after, send them an email via the 'contact us' area and they'll help you with a retailer near where your friend is visiting and you can organize them to order what you are after from HH direct. (hopefully that makes sense...:skep:)

www.heavenhill.co.nz

The old man dropped off a bottle of Bernheim. Never had it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a bottle of Old Forrester Signature and a bottle of Larceny. Can't wait to get these next week and enjoy a pour :)

Just ordered a bottle of Old Forrester Signature and a bottle of Larceny. Can't wait to get these next week and enjoy a pour :)

Been thinking of ordering the exact same combo. Had Larceny before but not OF. Let us know how it goes down.

I tried Larceny when I was in KY last year - in fact I grabbed a bottle at Toddy's to take to the Gazebo and mostly drank that on the Friday night. I'd probably rate it and Makers 46 as my all time favourite wheated bourbons! I've tried the standard 86 proof Old Forester when I grabbed a couple of miniatures in Hawaii a few years ago and don't remember it as anything spectacular, but was fortunate enough to be with Scott (Hightower) last weekend when he opened a bottle their single barrel.... and all I can say is wow! If the signature is even close it will be a great pour!

• 2 weeks later...

Wife picked me up a bottle of Crown Royal Apple and Canadian Club 8yo Sherry Cask Finish in Hawaii and Duty Free respectively last week. Not bourbon I know, but I thought it worth a post as neither are available at retail here. Will wait for the next SB.com Brisbane catch-up to crack them so won't have tasting notes for a few weeks.

Nice combo!

Great examples of two distinctly different styles of bourbon, and at reasonable prices. Im so glad we can get them here without being fleeced.

Try vatting the two, its a bit of fun trying to pick out which bourbon is bringing what to the blend. I think I settled on about a 70/30 with OFS being the bulk.

Good stuff. I don't rate Larceny anywhere near any of the Wellers but it is a tasty more frequent pour.

After a full on 4 days in wine country NSW (Mudgee and surrounds) I'm kicking back with an ashamedly not-so familiar pour. Knob Creek Rye. Solid.

Just got a couple I've never tried in Bakers and the 108 WT RB. I love the 112 WT RB, one of my favs, so will be interesting to see how the two compare. I love Bookers and Knob Creek as well so looking forward to checking out the Bakers. Tonight will be a good night. Great weather for it too!

Trying to finish off a bottle of Red Stag that's been in the fridge for close to 3 years. It's slowly disappearing, but I can't drink much of it at once...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.