About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Broadly available if you want to enjoy a pour at the local whiskey bar for $25.

I would love to know what % actually goes to on premise accounts.

Based on what we've witnessed over the past few years, I'd bet it's as high at 75-80% Eric. Every upscale restaurant and bar has it now and they don't seem to ever run out!

3 cases of the 20 year showed up at a local VA ABC today. Nothing else though in regards to other ages, which I found strange. All was apparently spoken for, so oh well.

Bars and restaurants can still make a killing buying them at secondary pricing. The Van Winkle line is one that I've given up on trying to find. It's great stuff if you can get it at retail, that goes without saying, but I'm cursed with having more brains than money.

3 cases of the 20 year showed up at a local VA ABC today. Nothing else though in regards to other ages, which I found strange. All was apparently spoken for, so oh well.

I meant strange as in its the only one that showed up. She said they're expecting the 10, 15 and Lot B at the end of the month. She just said she wasn't sure why this showed up now.

I meant strange as in its the only one that showed up. She said they're expecting the 10, 15 and Lot B at the end of the month. She just said she wasn't sure why this showed up now.

Thanks for clarifying. Those others were all added to the inventory list only a few months ago so one would assume they are coming...at some point.

Luck of the draw, ended up getting one of the 9! I'm not typically a stash/save guy but I have a lot of friends that want to try this so I'll try to hold off till I can get a big group together.

3 cases of the 20 year showed up at a local VA ABC today. Nothing else though in regards to other ages, which I found strange.

Last year I showed up to pick up a bottle of Lot B and they asked if I wanted a bottle of ORVW or the 15 year. Same thing, the others just showed up unannounced . These 20 year were at least allocated, so it didn't seem like a "reverse bribe."

I saw something akin to this happen at one of my local stores a couple of years ago. They had ordered ORVW 10/107, LotB, Pappy 15 and Pappy 20. When the order came in, they didn't receive all that they had ordered, nor all that they had supposedly been promised. The strange thing about this is the distributor did send them a 3 bottle case of Pappy 23 that they hadn't ordered. :rolleyes: The manager never really said so, but I got the impression that if they wanted the other Van Winkles, the distributor made them take some Pappy 23 too. :skep:

Given the craze, I don't think any store is going to turn down a case of 23.

That's what I was thinking. A case of 23 is supposed to be undesirable? :)

Looks like Pappy is now in a lot of states. Anyone know of Georgia's delivery date? Gotta be soon.

Looks like Pappy is now in a lot of states. Anyone know of Georgia's delivery date? Gotta be soon.

Received my email from Mecklenburg County ABC (charlotte) today. Replied within 7 minutes. Waiting to see...

It hit some other counties last week but I'd say it's throughout the state by now.

A buddy replied within 2 minutes and wasn't one of the chosen few. Hopefully i'm not busting your bubble.

That being said, I think a first come first serve email system for state run stores is the best possible method. In this case they sent an email then made you respond back to a different email address and give them your year preference. Not only did this mitigate any auto-reply functionality to cheat the system but it also employed a little game theory for ranking age preference. I'm sure the vast majority of product still leaked out through the back door to ABC employees and family but not sure that can be helped.

For non-liquor controlled states, I don't think this makes as much sense for mom and pop shops but that is a different conversation that I won't rehash.

Probably really soon...unfortunately...the good ol boy system will keep it from getting on the shelves here in Columbus.

Probably really soon...unfortunately...the good ol boy system will keep it from getting on the shelves here in Columbus.

I like the "good ol' boy system". It reflects doing homework, patronizing a particular establishment, building relationships and hard work. Long live the good ol' boy networks!

I like the "good ol' boy system". It reflects doing homework, patronizing a particular establishment, building relationships and hard work. Long live the good ol' boy networks!

Not sure that is the network I am referring to.

Dang that sucks. I'm from Lee Co so I get the reference. Was told today that the distributor in Atlanta has had issues going back for months now so no one knows exactly. Soon. Oh and no trucks deliver Pappy like someone posted earlier. I felt crazy asking but the owner was nice. Said he's ready for this to be over.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.