About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not sure I mind the flippers. If somebody has the means to pay $1,000 for a bottle, who am I to judge? Will they enjoy it as much as someone who is really into bourbon? Maybe. They may not taste all of the complexities that an experienced taster would, but if they finish the bottle and determine that they enjoyed it, and got their money's worth, more power to them. I realize these flippers keep it out of the hands of people who really enjoy it, but how is that different from someone stocking a bunker, ensuring that they have their favorite bourbon for a long time after it is discontinued, when others would have loved for it to stay on the shelves a little longer so they could have tried it? PVW can be found at at least one bar in every major metropolitan area. If someone really wants their fix or to taste what all the excitement is about, they can go to that bar with friends and have the same experience that they might have drinking my PVW at my house. But it will cost them... I've read about bars charging $75/pour. 1/2 oz "tastes" for $20 so that that PVW is more accessible to everyone. How noble... and even more profitable. How is that different from flippers? Bars are exploiting the situation the same way a flipper is, but even more so. Empty bottles of PVW going for $100 on eBay? Knowing this why would anyone go to a bar and buy a pour of PVW? Who knows what's in it. Crazy times for sure. I've been an adult for to see a few economic bubbles burst... dot coms, housing, etc. This craze has many of the same markers... speculation and greed. I feel like it will come to end eventually. Until then I'll just make some popcorn and enjoy the show, sipping on one of my new favorites... Ancient Age 90. Ironically I tried it for the first time, waiting overnight in the cold for the Pappy release. Bought a 200 ml bottle for $3 just to try it out... time to start filling the bunker just in case!

I agree with you. I personally think 23 comes fourth out of the line up. If I had one and some dumba$$ wants to pay me $1200 for it...SOLD. I will take that and put it towards a 20 and 15/rye.

So similar experience. I'm at a tailgate last weekend with a mixed crew of folks. A guy in his mid 50's with a flipped collar and moccasins(no socks and it's REALLY cold) chimes in to the bourbon discussion and in hushed tones tells us it's been a great year because he and his buddies scored not one but THREE bottles of Pappy 27. It's the best!

Never trust a flipped collar, moccasin wearin, no no socked d**bag at a tailgate. Just a rule of thumb for me.

The one store that I had a shot with called me back today. He had the 10 and 12 left, which I wasn't thrilled about, but out of appreciation I told him I'd take the 12. "It's $119, still want it?" Umm, thanks, but no thanks bud. All I really wanted this year was the rye, which I've never been able to pick up.

Well I finally got to try the infamous PVW15. It was nice, but a tad mellow for my tastes. There are better uses for my discretionary funds. If I were offered a bottle of this I would either pass it onto a friend, fellow SBers, or give it as a gift.

Lost Pollito, I think you should let people know that when they come to buy their BTAC/Pappy bottle, there will be a 3 question quiz which they will have to pass. Or a 5 question where they are allowed to get one wrong.

1. At what distillery was your bottle distilled?

2. What is the proof of the bottle you are requesting (BTAC exceptions due to varying barrel proof)?

3. How many years was your bottle aged?

4. (BTAC customers) What does BTAC stand for?

4. (Pappy customers) What is the first name of the currently presiding Van Winkle?

5. How many bottles are in a case of the bottle you are requesting?

Bonus/make up question: Was your bottle chill filtered?

You must provide your driver's license number to try the quiz, and your pass or fail is recorded (in a database accessible to all stores so they can't hit all locations). They may enter once per week for BTAC, once per week for the Van Winkle releases. The people who can pass with 100%, can purchase their choice of 2 of the remaining bottles at MSRP. A score of 4/5 can purchase 1. The people who fail can try again next week, or may purchase if they wish at $500/bottle :)

This would completely stop people bringing bogus +1s (who would never pass, based on comments above), and guarantee that the true enthusiasts get served first, or at least the flippers who can be bothered enough to learn about what they are buying, which is certainly a lesser percentage than we have buying them now.

Another idea I've had is only to sell to people who are willing to take a big paint marker and largely and clearly print their name and phone number across the front of the paper label, or to scratch the glass across the logo on the BTACs. This will ensure the only people who will remain interested are the people who care about drinking the contents, and who are not concerned with collectivity /aftermarket value.

Edited by The Black Tot

Another option is to make them open the bottle right there at the register. Unless you're a counterfeiter, the average and vast majority of flippers wouldn't know what to do with an open bottle - and drinking it probably isn't an option.

If anybody would like to figure who is flipping these bottles in Chicago, I'd love to have the names of the flippers. I'm building a wall of shame, hoping to weed out as many of these these people as possible. Thanks.

I like the idea, Joe, but it seems hard to implement a working anti-flipper system. People could use mules, etc.

I would be happy to offer my services to help keep these bottles out of the hands of flippers, but first I need to stop procrastinating and get my information into your system.

-Dan Z.

Looks like it came and went this weekend in oregon. Too bad. Someday I'll try them, the curiosity is very strong but not 4x retail strong.

Another option is to make them open the bottle right there at the register. Unless you're a counterfeiter, the average and vast majority of flippers wouldn't know what to do with an open bottle - and drinking it probably isn't an option.

This is my preferred scenario. I would always be happy to rip off the foil and even pull the cork out and pour a taste. If I don't intend to start drinking it right away, a little argon (wine preserver) to displace the oxygen should prevent any oxidation, but I'm never going to sell/trade it.

I suggested this to my local retailers. They can even create a two tier pricing - $xx if the bottle is opened at the register, and $xxx if it's not.

Sell me something I want at retail and I'll share a glass with you at the store. LOL.

Requiring that customers open their bottles at the register is actually a fantastic idea. I'd be game for that system.
so would the guy working the checkout 'cause he might get a sip, too.

Requiring that customers open their bottles at the register is actually a fantastic idea. I'd be game for that system.

In most states, a tampered seal is considered open container. There could be some serious legal ramifications on the liquor stores if they started doing that.

I am worn out with pappy talk.

The "chat up the owner" approach is getting annoying too.

I know it might have worked in the past and 100 web blogs have suggested that's the best way to get a bottle but we can see straight thru it.

I know it might have worked in the past and 100 web blogs have suggested that's the best way to get a bottle but we can see straight thru it.

The folks at my local places are all seem to feel the same way you do. I wonder what next year is going to be like? Something you might look into for next year is finding a legal way to auction your allocation of Van Winkle releases off, with proceeds going to a local charity. Given the timing of the releases, there are probably plenty of organizations already holding auctions for toys for tots, food bank, etc. Seems like a pretty handy way to stop folks from asking you about Pappiez while building some positive PR. Edited by garbanzobean

True, but at least the defacing option allows the enthusiasts to save it for their own special occasion.

If you make them open it that day you're also punishing the drinkers along with the flippers, in that they can't choose their own opening timing.

One of the stores near me is seriously considering not even bothering next year.

The "chat up the owner" thing has to be annoying because I'm sure it's people who come in once or twice in the weeks before the release, spend a hundred bucks and think they are a big spender, like they are doing you a favor.

The problem with these blog articles is that "chatting up the owner" is something that is done over months-to-years. And it's not done with the explicit goal of scoring some pappy...it's just done by being a good customer.

Good points guys. October and November are black out dates when it comes to owner reward credit.

I know why they are here and it isn't to be my friend or a customer. We have a negative yelp review because we weren't polite enough when the guy asked for pappy.

I'm going to look into the auction thing. That's a great idea.

The auction approach seems the best option. Market demand determines price of these things and as consumers we really cannot expect to pay MSRP (which is after only a suggested price) which doesn't apply to items in high demand and retail businesses are entitled to realize a maximum profit on stock in trade. Auctions would also greatly relieve the stores of incessant phone calls and visits from tire kickers.

I believe an auction could be held in price control states if all profits above the mandated price went to charity or other worthy causes.

Regarding the phone call thing, I think I would just set up an automated voice mail, saying:

"Thank you for calling ______ liquor store. If you are calling to inquire about the Pappy Van Winkle release, please know that due to the extreme demand we cannot provide any information about these products by phone. We appreciate your interest. If we can help you in any other way please stay on the line and an employee will be with you shortly"

Regarding the phone call thing, I think I would just set up an automated voice mail, saying:

"Thank you for calling ______ liquor store. If you are calling to inquire about the Pappy Van Winkle release, please know that due to the extreme demand we cannot provide any information about these products by phone. We appreciate your interest. If we can help you in any other way please stay on the line and an employee will be with you shortly"

Great idea!!! I would have been more brusque about it...

Totally agree - a vast majority of the bottles I buy are opened within a few hours/days of getting them just because I'm excited to try them. I would be more than happy to open in store or just deface the bottle ( sharpie etc... )

I actually sold a bottle of lot b to a coworker but I told him he can pay want I paid (retail) if we open it and have some right there or he can pay me 200 bucks if he doesn't want to open it.

Got a call this morning that I win a lottery in a store I frequent its Lot B cause that or 10yr is all I was interested in.

I turned off our answering machine. 99% of our phone calls are regarding limited releases or our hours of operation.

A simple "we are open today from ____ to ___. Your current wait time is 545 minutes regarding limited release inquiries. Thanks and have a great day.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.