About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love that post. So , so, so very true.

I thought about sending it to a friend of mine who has done all the listed. I figured it would go over his head.

Whatever, David probably saves Pappy for his spirit auctions. I don't really need advice from a guy that literally says every single product they offer is "superb" "better than last year" and "bursting with flavor". A salesman through and through.

Whatever, David probably saves Pappy for his spirit auctions. I don't really need advice from a guy that literally says every single product they offer is "superb" "better than last year" and "bursting with flavor". A salesman through and through.

Doesn't change the fact that the blog is at times insightful and, this one in particular, spot on.

Doesn't change the fact that the blog is at times insightful and, this one in particular, spot on.

As much as I also get his salesperson attitude (I'm in sales as well) in his posts, I do read past it and look into other aspects. His recent blog posts on traveling to Taiwan and Japan is amazing. I told my wife that even if K&L gave me his job and I worked for free, I would still get fired. I don't have David's story telling abilities nor his palate. Then again, maybe his palate is only a result of him having a much larger vocabulary than myself.

As much as I also get his salesperson attitude (I'm in sales as well) in his posts, I do read past it and look into other aspects. His recent blog posts on traveling to Taiwan and Japan is amazing. I told my wife that even if K&L gave me his job and I worked for free, I would still get fired. I don't have David's story telling abilities nor his palate. Then again, maybe his palate is only a result of him having a much larger vocabulary than myself.

Really agree on the reports on Taiwan and Japan. Enjoyed them thoroughly (as I have many of his "travel reports") and the whisky was really kind of secondary. As for the sales pitches it is his job so I can't really begrudge him those and I can usually (but not always) get a sense of how strongly he feels about different things.

Really agree on the reports on Taiwan and Japan. Enjoyed them thoroughly (as I have many of his "travel reports") and the whisky was really kind of secondary. As for the sales pitches it is his job so I can't really begrudge him those and I can usually (but not always) get a sense of how strongly he feels about different things.

Agree fully.

I thought the part about the training bartenders get in Japan was really fascinating. As well as some nice digs against the hipster mixologist crowd.

Exactly, it's his job to sell spirits and I doubt most people can sell something if they aren't pushing it. There is a store I frequent and have a good relationship with the owners, but every time I'm there and giving feedback on whiskey that I've tried and not a fan of... I do it discretely away from other customers. I've had people tell me I'm an ass for not sharing my opinion, however it's not my store nor my business. I shouldn't interfere with the store's sale. The double standard is that I will gladly sing loud praises when something is good :lol:

Agree fully.

I thought the part about the training bartenders get in Japan was really fascinating. As well as some nice digs against the hipster mixologist crowd.

I think you would actually love the Ramen too. I'll walk the plank a bit and say Michigan probably doesn't have the tremendous Ramen restaurant offerings we have here in the San Francisco Bay Area... it's fantastic although a bit expensive. A bowl of noodles will run you $10 - $15 and at some restaurants people actually get there over an hour before the restaurant opens just to get their name on the waiting list... crazy!

Back on topic, Pappy sucks...

I think you would actually love the Ramen too. I'll walk the plank a bit and say Michigan probably doesn't have the tremendous Ramen restaurant offerings we have here in the San Francisco Bay Area... it's fantastic although a bit expensive. A bowl of noodles will run you $10 - $15 and at some restaurants people actually get there over an hour before the restaurant opens just to get their name on the waiting list... crazy!

Back on topic, Pappy sucks...

I love Ramen. We actually just got a new noodle shop last year that's pretty decent - the owner has two successful restaurants in Chicago and has been on iron chef and top chef - apparently his daughter goes to school here so he opened a restaurant in town.

When I was in SF for a conference a couple of weeks ago I had too many food options for too few days!

I also have spent a decent amount of time in London - Wagamama's there is a must every time I visit.

I now have the entire line-up opened,(for whatever that's worth....fwtw?) with the popping of the ORVW10,, Man it's been a long time since I've had this...they should bottle all bourbon @ 107.......:cool:

I love Ramen. We actually just got a new noodle shop last year that's pretty decent - the owner has two successful restaurants in Chicago and has been on iron chef and top chef - apparently his daughter goes to school here so he opened a restaurant in town.

When I was in SF for a conference a couple of weeks ago I had too many food options for too few days!

I also have spent a decent amount of time in London - Wagamama's there is a must every time I visit.

Good to hear Japanese comfort food is spreading out, the Ramen in SF is okay compared to the entire Bay Area. Some of the most popular locations is about an hour drive south of SF. This is the spot where people go 60-90 minutes before they actually open to sign up. http://www.orenchi-ramen.com/

It landed in Michigan Monday/Tuesday. I don't want to be the one to break it on the general page. But it's also on the pappytracker blog so I assume the word is out there.

I went to 2 stores, came home with a 23 and a 10. MSRP for both.

One store told me he'd have a 4RSmbLE for me later this week.

After that I need to give my wallet a break. It's been a busy 6 weeks or so

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me when the switch was made from the fat to tall bottle for the ORVW 10? Are fat bottles SW?

Since SW stopped distilling in 1991, no 10 year old bourbon bottled after 2001 could have been distilled there unless it was tanked, and there's been no indication that was done with any of the younger Van Winkles.

Since SW stopped distilling in 1991, no 10 year old bourbon bottled after 2001 could have been distilled there unless it was tanked, and there's been no indication that was done with any of the younger Van Winkles.

Which is likely why the VW/BT partnership started in '02.

They did say they continued to blend in some of the older stuff into the ORVW10 and the Lot B for a good number of years thereafter. Who knows how much of it...

Im done looking for this...its impossible to get in my area.
bourbonr blog said it hit Macon. Nothing in Atlanta yet and maybe your neck of the woods too.

I believe it has come and gone in Michigan although my local guy did not get any this week. He said his driver told him he did not deliver to anyone else so he believes he will get it next week. I am thinking he is not going to get any after buying 5 barrels of other BT stuff this year.

We shall see.

Best regards, Tony

I believe it has come and gone in Michigan although my local guy did not get any this week. He said his driver told him he did not deliver to anyone else so he believes he will get it next week. I am thinking he is not going to get any after buying 5 barrels of other BT stuff this year.

We shall see.

Best regards, Tony

It is interesting that despite all of the combobulations retailers have no idea how this stuff will be allocated. It has to be frustrating to sell all the crap they require just to get whatever they deem an acceptable allocation. They being the distributors.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.