Kentucky Owl???

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody have any information on a Barrel Proof offering called Kentucky Owl? :rolleyes:

Who distilled it? ...Bottled it? ...Aged it? Or is this another of those 'orphan barrel' brands?

Or, is it a NDP entering the barrel proof market with some sourced whiskey?'

I would never be accused of being 'in the know' about such things; but I do NOT recall seeing anything posted here; and many here ARE 'in the know'....Or at least compared to me some certainly are. :shocked:

https://www.facebook.com/kyowlbourbon

http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_owl_bourbon.htm

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/local/mercer/dixon-dedman-to-resurrect-mercer-family-s-historic-kentucky-owl/article_d88bfca5-0dbe-5e07-a16a-00495c0d1479.html

Looks like 5 barrels of sourced bourbon blended to go along with another story. Unless I missed it, no word on the origin. Maybe someone smarter than I can look at the pics on facebook and put 2 and 2 together. I really liked the article where they discussed they felt it was worth $150, but expect it to be worth much more over time for collectors. Yawn.

Edit, scratching my head, they claim 5 barrels, but also expect a yield of 1300 to 1400 bottles. It's either some very young stuff, or there's some bull/misinformation in the beaumont inn website. 5 full sized barrels converted to ML divided by 750 would be the 1300 to 1400 bottle yield. That would be no loss in the barrel. The facebook page also shows a pic of their "barrels," who knows if they're real or not, but they look mighty new and more than 5.

Edited by petrel800

Hear are going like hot cakes apparently on those FB markets. I could care less. I've heard it FR. I've heard BF. Who's knows. I think it's around $180 for 6-8 year old mystery juice. No thanks. I will pass.

https://www.facebook.com/kyowlbourbon

http://www.beaumontinn.com/kentucky_owl_bourbon.htm

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/local/mercer/dixon-dedman-to-resurrect-mercer-family-s-historic-kentucky-owl/article_d88bfca5-0dbe-5e07-a16a-00495c0d1479.html

Looks like 5 barrels of sourced bourbon blended to go along with another story. Unless I missed it, no word on the origin. Maybe someone smarter than I can look at the pics on facebook and put 2 and 2 together. I really liked the article where they discussed they felt it was worth $150, but expect it to be worth much more over time for collectors. Yawn.

Edit, scratching my head, they claim 5 barrels, but also expect a yield of 1300 to 1400 bottles. It's either some very young stuff, or there's some bull/misinformation in the beaumont inn website. 5 full sized barrels converted to ML divided by 750 would be the 1300 to 1400 bottle yield. That would be no loss in the barrel. The facebook page also shows a pic of their "barrels," who knows if they're real or not, but they look mighty new and more than 5.

Oh yeah it was also rebarreled so that would explain the new barrels and a very high yield. I think I heard they actually ended up with around 1200 bottles.

Just posted on the "Pricing" thread and basically made the pitch that I'll buy what I want. But $180 for "mystery juice" is definitely beyond my tolerance. I'd have to try a sample first, and be absolutely blown away beyond anything I've ever tasted before I bite that bullet.

At those prices they could buy any commonly available 6-8 year old Bourbon and rebottle it. I suspect they spent more money on the packaging than the contents.

Finally - a bourbon that makes my guilty pleasure Old Blowhard look like a responsible purchase!

Not to mention a seemingly trumped up Facebook welcome was so overwhelmingly agreed upon (pre release) that it makes me very leery. I don't like paying an extra $125 per bottle to fund "future plans" even whistle pig only charges like $35 a bottle to fund their future projects.

Glad to see common sense truimphs this product at sb.com as compared to facebook groups. When the brand owners make this kind of comment about an NAS by NDP product to the press "It is expected to fetch about $150 a bottle upon its debut and move well beyond that price among collectors" you really don't need to read anymore to know what this product is all about - cashing in on the bourbon boom from the lemmings that will buy anything "collectible".

Glad to see common sense truimphs this product at sb.com as compared to facebook groups. When the brand owners make this kind of comment about an NAS by NDP product to the press "It is expected to fetch about $150 a bottle upon its debut and move well beyond that price among collectors" you really don't need to read anymore to know what this product is all about - cashing in on the bourbon boom from the lemmings that will buy anything "collectible".

$180 last I saw it, Wade. It's astounding.

You guys seem pretty skeptical, but you must have missed this ringing endorsement from one of our most beloved master distillers:

“Through the inn, we’ve had a connection to the distillers for a long time,” Dixon said. “Jimmy Rutledge, the master distiller at Four Roses, has tasted our stuff along the way and been very frank about it.”

I think that tells us everything we need to know.

You guys seem pretty skeptical, but you must have missed this ringing endorsement from one of our most beloved master distillers:

I think that tells us everything we need to know.

Yeah, but Dixon didn't tell us WHAT Mr. Rutledge's frank comments were.

edit - Or, did he?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
another thought

One would think Mr. Rutledge's favorable comments (if he had made any) would've been repeated.

Edited by squire

I don't like paying an extra $125 per bottle to fund "future plans" even whistle pig only charges like $35 a bottle to fund their future projects.

Hey, they gotta find the money somewhere.

Give these guys credit, though. They realized that the best way to go as an NDP is to limit the release and jack up the price, ensuring that the secondary market will skyrocket. Ten thousand overpaid, underinformed (to put it nicely) stock brokers will come running. I just saw an Instagram post by someone who had scored five bottles (!), and the comments were all along the lines of "I'm so jealous!" and "can I buy a bottle off you?" It doesn't even matter what's inside. Wannabe Pappy, which is pretty cynical, and sad, but smart.

The other half of the brand are napa valley winery owners. That might explain the pricing philosophy.

I haven't tried it so I will reserve judgement.

One thing I have noticed about limited edition pre release "tasters" is that they rarely have much bad to say about a bourbon.

I'm really excited about Kentucky Owl for two reasons.

1. It's a flipper trap.

2. They're totally falling for it.

Anyone buying this for the collectibility will eventually have their Candide moment - "It is all very well that these bourbons are limited, but let us tend our own bar".

Edited by The Black Tot

Someone brought a bottle to a gathering last night. He was pretty jacked up to have found it at Liquor Barn. I had a pour. Tasted like bourbon to me. I felt a bit guilty drinking his whiskey after I did the Google thing and read the backstory and saw the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.