Kentucky Owl???

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, my last post in this very informative thread. If this bottle does not end up on the Gazebo table at KBF I will be very disappointed. :grin:

Ok, my last post in this very informative thread. If this bottle does not end up on the Gazebo table at KBF I will be very disappointed. :grin:

Well, thanks for volunteering to bring one Eric. Mighty nice of you. :P

Oh, Man!!!! :smiley_acbt:

I poured my whole case out. It did kill most of the ants.... and uncles....

So, it is a pretty effective, if overpriced, bug slayer. :bigeyes:

Athene it's not as bad asio think.

Glad some have horned in on this one, but I'll wait for what's nest.

I'm guessing most bashers have not tried the owl. I have been fortunate enough to drink very good bourbon, and while I understand the apprehension, this is good bourbon. I don't know who made it, but it is the best whiskey sitting on the shelfs. I can't tell you what is worth what $$$ to you, but this is really good. BTW, I'm not drunk yet, lol.

I spoke with Dixon back in the spring. From what I remember, I thought he said he originally had 8 barrels. He said that these were made for him at Four Roses and that Jim Rutledge was the one helping him start this project. I can't remember were he said the barrels were aging. He did say that when he took samples for Jim to taste that he was not real impressed with the individual barrels, but when mixed together, the barrels individual flavors melded well.

I didn't realize how close he was to bottling his bourbon or I would have been a little more inquisitive.

I spoke with Dixon back in the spring. From what I remember, I thought he said he originally had 8 barrels. He said that these were made for him at Four Roses and that Jim Rutledge was the one helping him start this project. I can't remember were he said the barrels were aging. He did say that when he took samples for Jim to taste that he was not real impressed with the individual barrels, but when mixed together, the barrels individual flavors melded well.

I didn't realize how close he was to bottling his bourbon or I would have been a little more inquisitive.

Edited by mark fleetwood

From what I understood, it was Dixon's recipe not one of Four Roses'.

So the story is that FR did an 8 barrel run of someone else's mashbill for the Owl?

Color me skeptical.

So the story is that FR did an 8 barrel run of someone else's mashbill for the Owl?

Color me skeptical.

I'm not sure that FR did the distillation, just that Dixon just got consulting from Jim Rutledge.

Keep in mind, this conversation with Dixon was 6 months and many bourbons ago and was just a friendly chat and not an interview.

I also don't remember if it was Dixon or Jim that told me what Jim thought of the individual barrel taste profiles.

Edited by clindt

I'm not sure that FR did the distillation, just that Dixon just got consulting from Jim Rutledge.

OK, but that's different than what you said above.

OK, but that's different than what you said above.

From my conversation, I assumed they were. I'm not sure he ever came out and said it though.

Ok, I want to make sure I'm not impuning jRutledge here, may have just misread a post about the distillate's origin. So did the fOwl producers get 8 barrels from Lawrenceburg IN and just ask Jim to help blend? Do we believe these are 8 recipe-specific barrels, or just 8 barrels picked out of a rickhouse?

Edited by mark fleetwood

Ok, I want to make sure I'm not impuning jRutledge here, may have just misread a post about the distillate's origin. So did the fOwl producers get 8 barrels from Lawrenceburg IN and just ask Jim to help blend? Do we believe these are 8 recipe-specific barrels, or just 8 barrels picked out of a rickhouse?

From what I understood, these were distilled using a unique mashbill. I don't remember who did the run for him, but I assumed it was FR since he spoke about how Jim was helping him with this project. I don't remember him telling me where these barrels were aging either. All of this conversation took place during a tasting at the Beaumont Inn.

Whoooooooooooo cares about this Harry potter fairy bourbon. Nobody in their right mind should pay 150 for this stuff. That's 30 year old scotch prices for some mystery vatted BOURBON. BOURBON!!! Not single malt but BOURBON!!! The common man's drink, not supposed to be 150 bucks a bottle.

From what I understood, these were distilled using a unique mashbill. I don't remember who did the run for him, but I assumed it was FR since he spoke about how Jim was helping him with this project. I don't remember him telling me where these barrels were aging either. All of this conversation took place during a tasting at the Beaumont Inn.

I'd check your info before you go spreading stuff like this. It has zero chance of being right and I think everyone knows that. It's a double barreled mystery juice. Not a unique mashbill.

I'd check your info before you go spreading stuff like this. It has zero chance of being right and I think everyone knows that. It's a double barreled mystery juice. Not a unique mashbill.

Yeah, please check your sources or provide some backup before people starting spread a rumor that this is some special four roses small batch, better than their limited edition small batch super bourbon.

Sorry, but I have no sources to check. I had forgotten all about that conversation until I logged on tonight and read this thread. I was just trying to share what I remembered with the other SBers. I could be wrong and maybe Dixon was just feeding me a line of bull. I have no vested interest in this bourbon and doubt I'll ever even see a bottle in the wild. My wife and I had a great trip doing the bourbon trail and a neat experience doing the FR bourbon affair tour. Like I said before, this was just a conversation, not an interview. I didn't take any notes and was unaware that the bourbon Dixon spoke about was so close to being bottled or distributed. I'm sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers.

I am assuming that this whiskey is different than the Kentucky the Owl on this Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kentucky-the-Owl/120429328228

Although, Kentucky the Owl looks more interesting.The more you research the brand and its release, the more confusion and misinformation you run across.

On their website, they claim to have bottled 5 barrels for batch 1. They also discuss batch 2. Not sure, where the 8 barrels factors in.

From the centralkynews.com...After Austin, Dixon procured some whiskey already aging in barrels and enlisted some experienced distillers to create something new from a list of ingredients called a mash bill, consisting of water, corn, rye, malted barley and other grains in varying percentages that comprise the secretive recipe for each bourbon."

So it is clear that it wasn't made to their "specifications." The only thing that was created “new” was a bourbon called Kentucky Owl that was distilled using a commonly used mashbill from a “secretive” source. I guess if the source is secret then the recipe would be too since you don’t know who made it.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.