Kentucky Owl???

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whatever assistance Jim may have provided is none of my business, rather I'm responding to his role being blown out of proportion.

Whatever assistance Jim may have provided is none of my business, rather I'm responding to his role being blown out of proportion.

I am inclined to agree with this.

Jim is a nice guy, and I can see him offering his thoughts if asked. The quote I saw from the Kentucky Owl guy was that Jim "has tasted our stuff along the way and been very frank about it.” While I value the frank opinion of Mr Rutledge, that does not exactly suggest a highly active role in the operation. It doesn't even necessarily suggest that Jim managed to drink it without vomiting profusely.

On a side note, I actually like the basic premise of Kentucky Owl. Depending where they got the bourbon and what kind of selection they had access to, they could have picked some very solid juice. With a little skillful blending, they could end up with some pretty great stuff. If I won the lottery, this is exactly what I would do. I am inclined to be skeptical this is actually the case, but it could be done right. The marketing aspect just makes me gag though.

I heard that Kentucky Owl is Four Roses juice stolen from an experimental vatted LE small batch which was lovingly caressed by Jim Rutledge day and night. The barrels were moved to Stitzel-Weller for aging, transferred to Heaven Hill to be finished in cognac barrels under direct supervision of Parker Beam and bottled with the tears of Julian Van Winkle in Bardstown.

I'd gladly pay twice the price for this amazing product.

When I hear the word "frank" as in being frank about something, or a frank discussion; it has negative connotations.

From what I understood, Jim did not have a favorable opinion of the juice from the individual barrels.

Yet they bottled the stuff anyway.

well, most people will not read between the lines about "JR being frank about the product", and just interpret it as "JR liked the product". We here are a bunch of weird whiskey nerds though....

It appears so. If they were my barrels, I'd bottle them too rather than dump them down the drain. I don't think I would feel right charging that much is it is indeed an inferior product, though. I sure am curious to know the whole store to this, now.

With only eight barrels if some are so-so then their inclusion diminishes the entire batch. That's not making a best effort, it's just using up what you have on hand.

Pappy is special because it's a very limited selection from many barrels. Marketing alone does not a Pappy competitor make.

With only eight barrels if some are so-so then their inclusion diminishes the entire batch. That's not making a best effort, it's just using up what you have on hand.

Pappy is special because it's a very limited selection from many barrels. Marketing alone does not a Pappy competitor make.

Having tasted both of them, they are about as opposite end of the spectrum that you can get in bourbon. Of course some people that like a drier/spicier bourbon will prefer The Owl. But I'd probably prefer a lot of things over PVW20....and at a lot lower price.

Having tasted both of them, they are about as opposite end of the spectrum that you can get in bourbon. . . . . But I'd probably prefer a lot of things over PVW20....and at a lot lower price.

Yes, there are a number of others I prefer as well but my point was if your marketing goal is to create a Pappy competitor you'll need quality ingredients. Michelangelo carved in marble, not just any old backyard rock.
I have some artisan spring water available if anyone is interested. Very limited in stock, will sell out quick.

I suggest that the Kentucky Owl folks send all SB.com member a complimentary bottle and we will provide our frank opinion.

The crying shame is that this thread is still only on page two of Google search results for Kentucky Owl bourbon. I'd like to see it in the top three hoots, err hits.

Tried it last night at friends house. He was lead to believe that it is FR juice around 6 years that was rebarreled for another 2 years. Also they guy bottling this stuff didnt intend for the price to be so high.

I wouldn't pay that much personally. But I thought it was well done. The bottle itself is a lot better looking in person than it is in pictures. I had read lots of good, so so and bad reviews so I had my guard up but was excited at the same time. Out of all the bottles we had last night it was one of favorites.

I hear it was aged on a pontoon boat at Kentucky Lake, tended by the ghost of Ova Haney.

I hear the Owl that it was named after once pooped on the Stitzel Weller Distillery.

Tried it last night at friends house. He was lead to believe that it is FR juice around 6 years that was rebarreled for another 2 years. Also they guy bottling this stuff didnt intend for the price to be so high.

I wouldn't pay that much personally. But I thought it was well done. The bottle itself is a lot better looking in person than it is in pictures. I had read lots of good, so so and bad reviews so I had my guard up but was excited at the same time. Out of all the bottles we had last night it was one of favorites.

We were told by one of the proprietors in early May that it would be about $150 retail. 160-175 isn't far off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.