What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just in the mood for something out of my norm tonight. So I cracked one of these, it has been a couple years since I last had some

post-7672-14489821593874_thumb.jpg

Ironically we just got back from talking a trip to Wisconsin to see the fall colors and experience a real Autumn. If you are looking to pick up a decent bottle of bourbon while you are down here there is a Total Wine in Ft. Myers. They are going to have the best selection. ABC Liquor carries Bowman Brothers and John J. Bowman that may be hard to get in Wisconsin but their selection is very spotty from store to store. Anyway, safe travels and have a great time on your vacation.

Hey Slim, thanks for the heads up , that's not far from the airport, will have to check it out, but anything I find ..ain't coming back...!

Thanks!

Enjoying a pour of 4RSBBS while watching my dvd of the 2004 ALCS game 4. Today is the 10th anniversary! :)

Enjoying a pour of 4RSBBS while watching my dvd of the 2004 ALCS game 4. Today is the 10th anniversary! :)

That series is one of my favorite moments of baseball in my lifetime. I'm not a Sox fan but was rooting for them to beat the Yanks. Cheers!

Honestly, the only reason I ever tried the OGD series is because of the "peer pressure" from this forum. Thanks for the peer pressure, OGD114 is agreeing with me quite well right now.

Random Thursday= pours of Parker's Wheat, WLW, BMH 23 rye, Old Rip 15/107 and Weller Centennial. Wish every day could be "Random Thursday"!

For a flight like that you have to share the love and send invites. :)

Started the night with a Willett 12 year KBF selection. 10 year version is definitely much better but this is still not bad. Only first pour though so we'll see how it opens up.

Bumming for the weekend at my folks house with the family. Been working like a dog in the yard with day and the boys today getting some extra tree limbs cut before the pros come back to chip everything.

Didn't bring anything to drink, so last night was some basic Canadian club, nothing exciting, but drinkable, and tonight some ancient, by my standards, Maker's. Mid 80's vintage by the 86 on the bottom of the bottle and a $12.99 price tab.

It's likely the same bottle that I remember from my childhood, always thought the wax was cool.

B

Not exactly a bourbon but its close enough. Some HW Double Rye finished 19 months in Four Roses barrel ("Rose"). Gonna follow it with a HW Double Rye finished for 21 months in peated scotch barrel ("Peat"). So delicious.

post-9291-14489821595571_thumb.jpg

Just finished working a 15 hour day. Settling down with a small pour of an OESQ. This will likely be followed by a much larger pour of a Tippin's Market EWSB Private Barrel.

Finishing my evening with s pour of EHT Single Barrel before I crack my new bottle of Barrel Proof tomorrow.

WR DO SB. Still pick up the tannic/copper taste, but with a few ice cubes, smooth finish.

I went back and forth with small pours of the 4RSmB ('14 LE) and HHSS 2 tonight. The 4R is the creeper bourbon, because it drinks so light that one can literally drink themselves blind before they know what hit 'em (I can't feel my legs!). The HH is a richer and bolder sipper that easily satisfies after a single pour (kind of like a good after dinner drink should). Two different beasts both truly remarkable.

Jim Beam Single Barrel. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since I love the Beam profiles in general (KCSB, Bookers, OGD), but I'm really pleased with the overall presentation of this one. It has classic beam sweet cherry cola notes, but a bolder oak/charcoal character, with a very long finish. 95 seems like the perfect proof for this one.

Started with EB12 at the bar, then some POH at home then about halfway thru added some SAOS10 to it, then finished with some OWA.

Sampled my bottle of 4R SB OESQ recipe; delicious! Highly recommended if you can find it, and worth every penny of the $50 price tag.

Alternated between OGDBIB & OFSig last night. Really enjoy both if these so much. Total cost for both bottles was south of $50. Why people will pay >$50 for NDP "craft" bottles that aren't even honest about where their juice comes from just amazes me.

MM46, HHSS#2,Weller 107 and Stagg Jr. have been the latest rotation. The Makers 46 left the building last evening, OGD 114 will take its place.

Started with some 2014 PHC, before moving to a sbs with some Bernheim and the PHC brought down to 90 proof. Even at the lower proof, the extra age really adds a ton to that whiskey (makes me crave an older Bernheim!) Then all this PHC stuff reminded me I have a 2012 Blend of Mashbills hiding in the cabinet, so completing this sitting with a big pour of that beast. Still one of my top 5 whiskies - just freaking delicious, chewy, thought provoking as well as powerful enough to smack me in the face when I'm not looking. :yum:

Poured a nice dram of '07 B'Day Bourbon (I wish a had a case of this!)... What nose, what a finish!

Followed that with a nice pour of HHSS (SB pick) from last year (wish I had a case of this, too!)... What a nose, what a finish!

But; vastly different from the first pour. Hey this is what I live for!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.