What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Over at a buddy's last night out by the fire. EH Taylor Single Barrel, WT Diamond Anniversary, MWND, and. HHSS1 all made healthy appearances with some cubanos.

After the ER17 talk yesterday I realized I hadn't had any many months so went back to it last night. Truly fantastic. Then went to my favorite steakhouse for an early birthday dinner and tried Baker's for the first time. I enjoyed it. Came home and kept the 107 proof going with some PVW15. I'll be scaling it back down the shelf today, though.

Some buddies and I started smoking 600 pounds of shoulder beef clod at 6:00PM last night and finished up at 5:00 AM this morning for our parish's 54th Fall Festival. Pours included Four Roses 2011 LE SmB, Four Roses gift shop OBSK (an epic stunner), EC18, MMCS and 2013 GTS. Everyone agreed that the gift shop bottle was the winner. We also had some Founder's Harvest Ale and Dirty Bastard. It was a very enjoyable evening.

Some buddies and I started smoking 600 pounds of shoulder beef clod at 6:00PM last night and finished up at 5:00 AM this morning for our parish's 54th Fall Festival. Pours included Four Roses 2011 LE SmB, Four Roses gift shop OBSK (an epic stunner), EC18, MMCS and 2013 GTS. Everyone agreed that the gift shop bottle was the winner. We also had some Founder's Harvest Ale and Dirty Bastard. It was a very enjoyable evening.

Bet you didn't make it to 6 AM mass either :grin:. Let's hear how the clod turned out too.

Watching sunday football while working on some Colonel EH Taylor BP, followed by Four Roses SB.

Bet you didn't make it to 6 AM mass either :grin:. Let's hear how the clod turned out too.

We went to church on Saturday before smoking - I'm worthless on Sunday after doing this job. One of the better things about smoking clods is that it is a forgiving meat to smoke. We cook them up to 200+ degrees and then place them in warmers. A crew of guys come in at 7:00AM to cut and shred the beef and then it sits in warmers and roasters for a while. The meat does dry out a little bit but the clods produce a ton of juice that get turns into gravy. We mix a really good rub that works into that juice during the cook and we get rave reviews for it every year. It's pretty much our job for the next 20 years.

post-8680-14489821573083_thumb.jpg

Edited by DPPSmoker
Attempting to Add Picture

Had some ECBP to start the night and moved on to some GD 9y. God bless who every came up with doing the 9y SB project. I haven't had a bad bottle yet.

Sipping on some more Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel BIB tonight. With just a tiny splash of water this stuff is phenomenal.

Having a little HH6 BiB before I call it a night. I can't believe that something this good is so inexpensive.

Bought my first bottle of WTRB this weekend based on all of the positive comments here on SB. Having my first taste tonight. Count me as one of its new fans. I'm really enjoying my first pour. Thanks to all of the Rare Breed fans posting here on SB.

WTDA - I like WT and this one is tasty enough, but not quite worth the money paid. It's a shame this wasn't 101 proof or higher for the price.

FR1B -- liked it so much, I went with it two nights in a row. The wife commented on how that was unusual for me.

VSOF -- bottle had been open for a while, so I was hoping it had "changed" since I last sampled it. Not so much. All I taste is oak oak and more oak. Might make this the subject of my first "vatting" experiment, mixing it with Larceny to try to mellow it out a bit.

FR1B -- liked it so much, I went with it two nights in a row. The wife commented on how that was unusual for me.

Same here, well day and night anyways. It was so delicious Sat night that I even had some in my coffee Sun morning. First I've tried that and it was so sweeeet!

Probably going to go ahead and finish off my last pour of Weller 12 tonight. It deserves all the accolades it receives. Anyone looking to unload a bottle or two should email me. Haha!

I somehow managed to get a 2014 Stagg the other day. This is my first bottle of Stagg. The only other BTAC I've ever managed to get was a 2011 WLW (which was amazing, btw).

I debated over and over about whether or not to even open the Stagg but I ultimately did open it the night I got it. At 138.1 proof it's just too much for me to try neat. So, using the SB Proof Calculator I got it down to about 90 proof and gave it a whirl. That first night I opened it and tried it I thought it was just too hot and spicy for my taste. Tonight, I think that even with the same amount of water it is a remarkably complex bourbon.

Long story short, 2014 Stagg is a great bottle and I feel fortunate to have one. :yum:

2014 4R SB LE. A couple of months with this bottle, and I've I've jumped in and out of it several times. I'm trying so much to find something in this to hit my sweet-spot. I'm getting a little nice dark chocolate, and the finish is pretty stout...but it just ain't agreeing with me. But, OK with me...cuz there are a number of other 4R selections that rock my world.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.