What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BTEC, barrel entry proof as the experiment, 115 proof rye recipe. Then OGD114, finishing up with a very nice WFE 10 year.

After watching the O's fall apart in the 10th inning, the closest bourbon geographically that I have is Virginia Gentleman. Given that I'm in California, I'm pretty close! Winding down with that.

Bought a bottle of an old fave, Fighting Cock. Not sure what's going on with this brand, but it's dropped in quality...

First few bottles a few years ago, had a wonderfully layered sweetness and rye spice. Now all I can detect is what I can best describe as bourbon flavored gns.

Is all the "good stuff" going into Evan Williams White and 1783 fairly recent nationwide rollout?

Bought a bottle of an old fave, Fighting Cock. Not sure what's going on with this brand, but it's dropped in quality...

First few bottles a few years ago, had a wonderfully layered sweetness and rye spice. Now all I can detect is what I can best describe as bourbon flavored gns.

Is all the "good stuff" going into Evan Williams White and 1783 fairly recent nationwide rollout?

Finished a bottle of Market Square Select ETL. That bottle was great every time I went to it. Glad I have another. You Tallahassee boys do a great job picking barrels. High Horse, thanks for the recommendations.

Moving on to a '13 ER17. Stunningly delicious. ER 17 has always seemed to be the red headed step child of the.

Moving on to a '13 ER17. Stunningly delicious. ER 17 has always seemed to be the red headed step child of the BTAC collection, but I've always enjoyed this brand, because IMO, no other bourbon wears her age better than this one. The '13 is even better than others in the series. Amazing to me that it doesn't seem over-oaked, woody, or too tannic. Nice sweetness on first sip, and holds a nice vanilla and caramel body throughout. The many years in wood never seem to overwhelm the juiciness of the whiskey. I am hard pressed to believe it is 17 years (or 19 as this one reportedly is) old. That ain't easy to accomplish in bourbons of this age. I cannot think of a better uber-aged bourbon. And, the 90 proof seems spot on perfect. As elegant and enjoyably tasting whiskey as can be found anywhere in the world, IMO.

ER17 is my favorite of the BTAC. You're right, it doesn't seem to get the love that the others get for some reason.

I'm curious to see if there's a huge shift in quality in ER17 when they run out of the tanked stock and start releasing actual 17 year old stuff.

football Saturday so starting off with some VOB 6 yr in me coffee and plan on a 4RSB afternoon and night.

TT Ill follow your lead with VOB, but Im going back to my drinking beginnings. VOB in diet coke with half a key lime straight from the tree. This isnt a sexy drink, but it works just fine while watching football.

My wife added some fake hazelnut cream or some such s@&t to her coffee this morning. I added a dram or so of EC12 to mine. I win!

Picked up a PS Knob Creek SB 120 for the solitary reason that my Beam selections on the bar are woefully thin. Great hot-August-afternoon nose to it. Explosive cinnamon red hots on the palate. Very nice.

Picked up a PS Knob Creek SB 120 for the solitary reason that my Beam selections on the bar are woefully thin. Great hot-August-afternoon nose to it. Explosive cinnamon red hots on the palate. Very nice.

That would be, hot-August-afternoon-in-a-rickhouse nose...:crazy:

Started with some EC18, and decided to make some room in the cabinet by combining three ECs into one (EC18, ECBP, and GBS EC14). Roughly 1/3 of each, and the resulting mingle is blowing my mind. Really lovely - maintains that chewy sweetness I love about ECBP while having more going on than I'm going to try to pick out tonight. Strikes me as something I'll enjoy when I want to think more on it, or on nights like this when I just want to pour, sip and enjoy.

Staying in the last hotel room available tonight in Pigeon Forge TN at the last minute tonight and it's just what you might imagine. At least I'm not slumming the bourbon... Old Forester 100 from a paper cup...

I haven't stayed in a motel like this in decades...

Forgot to add there is an Elvis impersonator singing to a "crowd" in the parking lot. Now I'm old enough to remember Elvis and I haven't been able to pick out a single song.

Edited by Hop
addition

With having to watch such a ugly win tonight, I'm sure I'll be dipping into a bit of Larceny and OGDBiB.

just home from a 16 hour day....poured some FC down my neck so I can get up in 5 hours and do it again.

HHSS/2. My, how the extra cognac barrel time really made a great whiskey, even greater. 2 > 1.

Having some now. This is great stuff.

HHSS/2. My, how the extra cognac barrel time really made a great whiskey, even greater. 2 > 1.

Sadly, nothing. It's been dry for me since Tuesday evening when I had a Woodford (only other choice was Jack) on the 11 hour flight to Tokyo. When I asked for it neat, the flight attendant was so happy that the request was simple that she gave it to me at no charge.

I am now in Suzhou, China and it's a bourbon wasteland. I saw JBW at lunch today but it was too early. That's the first I've seen since being here. We're off to Xian and Beijing for the next 8 days so maybe my luck will change.

Having some now. This is great stuff.

Me three. Great pour. Started the night with a WR Four Wood, nice stuff, but didn't measure up to the HHSS/2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.