What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with a Michter's 10. Nice bourbon. Very unusual to find it at a bar.

Currently savoring some WLW '14 with a nice cigar.

I'm off for 2 weeks. Was worn out after work last night so I didn't get to have any of the good stuff. Tonight I opened my 2014 OFBB...good but not amazing. It has grown on me but still not blowing my doors off.

1969 Old Crow again

Since this is 86 proof I did SBS with one year old OGD 86. OGD has a much more twangy after note than the OC. The OC is very easy drinking.

I'm enjoying the Old Forester 1870. Not sure of the retail price because it's left over from a tasting I did but I think it's supposed to be in the $40 range. It's solid and in a sbs with OF 86. OF100, WR, WRDO, and the WRMC 2014 Pinot it was my clear favorite.

I did the unthinkable last evening and spilled an entire pour of D9 before I even got a sip of it. :cry:

As tragic as it was, I cleaned up, reloaded and moved on.

Several cups of coffee with OGD114 and then a bloody mary with the same. OGD114 is absolutely the best for this, the flavor in both just explodes.

Last couple of pours of a private barrel selection of Jefferson's Very Old, Very Small Batch Bourbon. Where I was initially critical of its subtle character, this has become something akin to Blanton's to me - well balanced between nose, flavors and finish - a bourbon I reach for when I want a lower proof pour. Just right. More in the bunker, but think I need to get ta couple more from this barrel before it disappears.

'14 WLW. Finally getting this one dialed in. Needed more water than I usually add, which makes sense considering it's 140+ proof. Starting to really get the syrupy thick sweetness. Starting to really understand the fuss with this one.

Sipping on some PHC 6 tonight. Haven't visited this one in a long time and not really sure why. Definitely an in your face pour with an exceptionally long finish. Only about one pour left in the bottle and based on how much I'm enjoying it tonight, it'll probably be drained this week.

Sometimes I feel like a doof because I look at a cabinet full of bottles and opt for my least favorite just to "preserve" the better bottles. Last night, I didn't. I opted for FR OBSK. Tonight back to the basic pours to "preserve" the good stuff. I prefer to bring out the better bottles when I have company. Tonight's pours were WR and EC12. Actually, now that I think of it, these aren't bad pours themselves. :lol:

Finished 3 sets of tennis with the guys tonight and sitting back with a pour of EC18 watching Sunday Night Football...mmmmm

Opened up a Yellowstone pint from 1970 according to the glass. It is a 6 year age stated 86 proof. States distilled and bottles by Yellowstone Distillery Co. -- Louisville and Owensboro KY. I think I recall Owensborbo being more for bottling than distilling. The bourbon is nice, thick mouth feel for an 86p but this one is unlike previous Yellowstone's I have had in the past from the 70's. I get a lot of cherry going on with this one. Nice and sweet with some Oak in the finish. That's the best I can do in describing it. It's a nice experience but just that "nice". This one had the "mellow mash" statement on the front label.

I need the Seahawks to beat the Cards so we can be the number 1 seed !

Done! Well that was fun. I'm celebrating that victory with some George T Stagg. Still need you to lose next week so we can get home field advantage!!

PHC8, received as an early Christmas gift. First impressions are good, but I will wait to make a final judgement.

Done! Well that was fun. I'm celebrating that victory with some George T Stagg. Still need you to lose next week so we can get home field advantage!!

And I need both Seattle and Arizona to lose next week!

Just finished a pour of Black Maple Hill 2013 followed by HH6BIB...it's five o'clock somewhere. Besides, I'm on vacation for two weeks.

JPS 21 batch 1. Shared it with a bourbon drinker friend. He agreed that its among the best old bourbons he's had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.