What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in Florida this weekend for my sister's wedding and stopped at a couple local stores near the hotel. I was surprised for a tourist area how cheap some of the normal offerings were. The stores also had CEHTSmB which is all sold out near me. I also saw bottles of Booker's batch 2013-6 at several of the stores but it was $10 more than what I pay here (although I haven't seen any 2013-6). If I wasn't flying, I would have loaded up on some cheap Ancient Age, EW1783, and bought a couple bottles of CEHTSmB. Sigh.

Jason

I passed up a ton today. Ec21, ec23, woodford four wood, tons of ceht, jd rye, newest ecbp. I was on the hunt for weller 12 and struck out.

Passed up WT Diamond at $149. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure I would be disappointed at that price.

Hidden

i picked up a bottle of the campfire finished double rye and a syrah finished rendezvous rye from high west a few months back.

i haven't opened the rendezvous yet, so i can't speak to it, but the double rye - campfire finish is interesting and tasty. definitely benefits from an extra 18-20

months in a barrel. plus its sub $50.

Anyone know how those finished Rendezvous Ryes are? A local place has one that's Manhattan finished and another with a Campfire finish. I'm intrigued.

My first 2014 BTAC sighting in NJ: Handy @$399 and ER17 @$499. Wow, easy pass.

Are you sure they were the 2014? I've seen a few around at those prices that are leftovers from last year still

More Ocean 3, WR Pinot Finish, Michter's Toasted Barrel to pass on. Crazy amount of this stuff sitting on the shelves.

I passed on some Mich Toasted Barrel yesterday too. It was presented to me from behind the counter as a limited release and something I should be thankful to get a chance to purchase.

I passed on some Mich Toasted Barrel yesterday too. It was presented to me from behind the counter as a limited release and something I should be thankful to get a chance to purchase.

I passed on the Michter's Toast as well. Second delivery of it to the store but just doesn't interest me.

Are you sure they were the 2014? I've seen a few around at those prices that are leftovers from last year still

BV: great catch. They were in fact the 2013 release. Correction, the THH was $349 not $399. I was so shocked by the prices that I did not focus on the actual label.

post-8357-14489821648641_thumb.jpg

Passed up on a few bottles of Stagg Jr. in favor for a few bottles of Scotch. They also had a bottle of Rhetoric for $99. Reviews seemed mixed...

My first 2014 BTAC sighting in NJ: Handy @$399 and ER17 @$499. Wow, easy pass.

Saw an ER17 for $499 today as well. I had to stop in to see what, if any, goodies this store had gotten recently since they still have a couple of last years ORVW10 for $349.

BV: great catch. They were in fact the 2013 release. Correction, the THH was $349 not $399. I was so shocked by the prices that I did not focus on the actual label.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19685[/ATTACH]

That looks like the display at Wine Library. If so, the MWND at $68 right next to it was a bargain.

JW, it was Wine Library and I was mightily tempted by the MWND. They also have Forty Creek Confederation Oak for $62. Picking up two MM Cask strength tomorrow in NYC, so trying to exhibit a little self control.

Passed on not bourbon WPBHog, all HW and WT Diamond. Was looking for OWA and baby Saz but no luck. Also worth noting, I'm seeing EWSB just at just over 10 years old of late. I know there were also a few last year, but it's really nice to see that the Beam boys are holding steady with the profile, age be damned! :toast:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19685[/ATTACH]

I note that these are "on sale".

JW, it was Wine Library and I was mightily tempted by the MWND. They also have Forty Creek Confederation Oak for $62. Picking up two MM Cask strength tomorrow in NYC, so trying to exhibit a little self control.

Wine Library in Springfield? Wow, for some reason, I thought they were "above" the marking up to exorbitant prices. I guess I was wrong! Cross them off my list.

Hit and miss - generally their pricing is quite good. The BTAC bottle pricing is very surprising for them. I don't shop there often but have done well on Duncan Taylor's and Irish whiskies in the past.

Passed on a store selection Jefferson Ocean 3. Not sure if it is worth $70 or if it is just a neat gimmick. I held it up to a light with a regular Jefferson and the Ocean was a touch lighter in color despite being slightly higher in proof.

Passed on PHC Wheat as I'm

Stocked there MSND or whatever it is, Stranahams, Whistlepig, etc...

Waiting for the NC ABC sale items to change tomorrow for the new month and see what I may want to pickup in basics.

Had a chance at a 2014 handy I passed on. May swing by that store early next week and see if they have any left ...

Had a chance at a 2014 handy I passed on. May swing by that store early next week and see if they have any left ...

Passed on a smooth ambler contradiction yesterday. Though I might be convincing myself to go back today and pick it up.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!