What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a smooth ambler contradiction yesterday. Though I might be convincing myself to go back today and pick it up.

Passed on a smooth ambler contradiction yesterday. Though I might be convincing myself to go back today and pick it up.

What is Smooth Ambler Contradiction? I've not heard of that before.

What is Smooth Ambler Contradiction? I've not heard of that before.

It is new. It is a blend of a 9 year old scout and their two year wheat. I like the elephant on the label.

I did the same. I also passed on some 2014 GTS for a hilarious $599, as well as the usual Van Winkle laughably high prices.

I know those places. It is sad that last year at one of those places I bought gts for 80. Then they learned it was rare and instant price increase.

Passed on it for $219 myself

i find it amusing that people will ask (and pay) well over $1000 for a 23 year pappy, but walk right by a relatively easy to attain 23 year old Elijah Craig for $200. Granted, I wouldnt pay $100 for either, but the irony is amusing.

i find it amusing that people will ask (and pay) well over $1000 for a 23 year pappy, but walk right by a relatively easy to attain 23 year old Elijah Craig for $200. Granted, I wouldnt pay $100 for either, but the irony is amusing.

Very good point. I just think some people pay for mystique. Me personally, 100 dollars is my cutoff for a bourbon. I will pay more for premium scotch but hey that's the market. Now, if my salary doubles anytime soon then I will gladly pick up that EC23 in the future. Lol.

But why is that amusing? Those two bourbons don't taste alike at all. If it were just a high age numbers game, people wouldn't dump all over Old Blowhard 26 at $150.

I have a PVW23, OB26, and an EC21. I really like the first two, but the third I didn't enjoy much at all. It's a single barrel product so I'll try it again sometime, but I won't pay $160+ to roll the dice. I'm sure there are others out there who have the totally opposite taste preferences, which is of course great - it takes all kinds. But I don't think you'd have any trouble picking these three apart in a blind taste test.

Though it's not bourbon, I passed on some Grand Award 12-year old. It's a canadian whiskey that was made by Hiram Walker. It was tax stamped from 1967. I think I will go back and get one just to sample and if I like it, go get more.

out of curiosity, I inquired about a craigslist posting for some 1981 OGD 86 proof in a one liter bottle. I about laughed when he said he wanted $200 for it. what a goon.

out of curiosity, I inquired about a craigslist posting for some 1981 OGD 86 proof in a one liter bottle. I about laughed when he said he wanted $200 for it. what a goon.

...And, you know what? He'll probably get it. It would be nice to taste it ... For about $20 a bottle, or maybe $30. I'm sure it's pretty good stuff. The idea of possessing some unicorn has a hypnotic effect on some folx's ego. That's just my opinion.

Here's another of my opinions: Everybody who pays absurd up-charges for these rare bottles is helping foster a practice I find abhorrent. I won't do it. Too many other very fine offerings abound... at straight retail prices.

Angel's Envy Cask Strength (2014) for... wait for it... $999.99. Tempting, but no.

Also PH8 for $399.99.

This is getting ridiculous.

...And, you know what? He'll probably get it. It would be nice to taste it ... For about $20 a bottle, or maybe $30. I'm sure it's pretty good stuff. The idea of possessing some unicorn has a hypnotic effect on some folx's ego. That's just my opinion.

Here's another of my opinions: Everybody who pays absurd up-charges for these rare bottles is helping foster a practice I find abhorrent. I won't do it. Too many other very fine offerings abound... at straight retail prices.

agreed on all points.

If it had been a BIB, id have given $50-75....but as Ive said before, Im a cheapass. and a cheapass who doesnt buy 86 proof stuff either

Booker's 25th for $157

Parkers Promise of Hope for $137

Willette for $175

Debating about the Parkers though. Still kinda pricey but I've never had it.

Booker's 25th for $157

Parkers Promise of Hope for $137

Willette for $175

Debating about the Parkers though. Still kinda pricey but I've never had it.

I ended up loving POH, but I would not buy it for $137. As always, value is in the eye of the beholder, but I personally wouldn't buy it again unless I saw it for around $70.

Hard to say though with regional price variations. If I held out for PHC at $90 or less, I would never find one. Here in CA, even BevMo (which is usually the lowest price or close to it) has PHC8 at $120. Everything here in CA seems to be $10-20 more expensive. Lucky to find OGD114 for $29 ($33 at BevMo) here. Then I see posts from people in other parts of the country buying OGD114 for $16 or PHC for $80. So, I think it really depends on where you live.

Hard to say though with regional price variations. If I held out for PHC at $90 or less, I would never find one. Here in CA, even BevMo (which is usually the lowest price or close to it) has PHC8 at $120. Everything here in CA seems to be $10-20 more expensive. Lucky to find OGD114 for $29 ($33 at BevMo) here. Then I see posts from people in other parts of the country buying OGD114 for $16 or PHC for $80. So, I think it really depends on where you live.
Yeah, I lived in California for a couple of years. Everything's expensive there, especially when it's trendy. Maryland is on the mid to high end of the price range when it comes to bourbon as well (with some of the highest markup for Limited Editions, depending on where you shop). I paid a bit above MSRP for POH last year; around $100. The point I was trying to make was that while you are free to do what you wish with your money, I don't personally feel that it is a good enough bourbon to be worth $137 regardless of where you live in the lower 48.

That's just my friendly advice, and it's probably worth what you paid for it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!