What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just noticed should this be a new thread now, Spring/Summer or Spring?

but it's only been a few hours!

I like to see how many days we can cheat mother nature out of every new season.:grin:

With snow on the east coast (again) it doesn't seem right to change over every single seasonal thread to "Spring" just yet. Our east coast brethren will believe we are mocking them.

Passed on HW MWND @ $85 and Willett 4 yr Rye @ $50.

Edited by johnnybogey

Passed on HW MWND @ $85 and Willett 4 yr Rye @ $50.

Not that I'd buy it, but WFE 4 yr. rye for $50 is a good price- I paid that for the 2 yr. rye!

Not that I'd buy it, but WFE 4 yr. rye for $50 is a good price- I paid that for the 2 yr. rye!

Interesting. Most places by me, just north of NYC where we see higher prices, I see the 2 yr, 4yr and 6 yr for $40, $50 and $85.

I actually picked up the Willett 2 year in CT for $34.99 as prices in CT and generally a little lower.

Willett pricing boggles my mind.

hey Chris, not trying to be obnoxious or sarcastic but what about Willett pricing boggles your mind? Is it from a quality/price standpoint? general pricing variance?

Fairly new to bourbon and rye so your insight is appreciated.

Willett pricing boggles my mind.

I certainly agree. Doesn't seem like much more than a year ago the 4 and 5yo MGP rye were both in the low to mid 30's.

Maybe MGP is indeed getting stretched so tight that this is where the prices are now but it still seems like a huge jump.

However, if they are getting it more power to them. Just not getting it from me.

Although BT seems little different. Lots of Rock Hill Farms for $64. That was higher than the also plentiful Blantons at about $58! N0ot so l0ong ago it was $50 or less and usually a dollar of two cheaper than Blanton's as I recall. Eagle Rare by the case load to include family size but no standard BT or ETL available. WSR also readily available but in apparently another lull for OWA and W12 it seems. There were a few Sazerac rye on the shelf and the CEHT Rye always seems to be available.

Passed on Jefferson's Reserve. I just have a real hard time paying over $50 at this early point in my bourbon obsession.

I just have a real hard time paying over $50 at this . . . . point in my bourbon obsession.

Yeah, me too. . . .

I walked into a store I usually pick up ice, a bottle of cheap bourbon, and pepsi when I go to BBQ's at a buddies pool. Have not been in the store in over a year. As I am walking in I notice a new guy behind the desk and a few bottles of Pappy. The new owner had the awesome prices of $1999 for 20yr, $999 for 15yr, and $299 for 10yr old rip.

I was about to voice my annoyance when I spotted the first bottles of Weller 12 I have seen in over two years. I bought all 4 at $34.99 each. After the purchase I then began my bad mouthing of his pappy gouging. Couldnt get the Wellers back at that point. Ha

Passed on a bonded 750 ml Beam at $19.99 (with nothing said by Fred Noe to Lew Bryson about it being more than 4 years) which then...almost made me not pass on the Costco/Kirkland, Clermont on the label, 7 year-103 proof-1.5 liter at $21 :grin:.

And I think it's okay to keep this thread open till at least June because that's about when winter is over here.

Passed on a bonded 750 ml Beam at $19.99 (with nothing said by Fred Noe to Lew Bryson about it being more than 4 years) which then...almost made me not pass on the Costco/Kirkland, Clermont on the label, 7 year-103 proof-1.5 liter at $21 :grin:.

And I think it's okay to keep this thread open till at least June because that's about when winter is over here.

That's some great perspective Thad! I've heard several good reports regarding the BIB, but somehow keep managing to pass on it myself. That's a great reminder as to why I shouldn't second guess myself... and, maybe get over to Costco.:grin:

Been hunting in El Paso so it's a long list. Had to be choosy on what to put in the suitcase.

rhetoric

barterhouse

old blowhard

WT Tradition

walking stick

weller 12

OWA

OGD 114

CEHT barrel, single, small batch

beam quarter

beam bonded

old charter 8

old charter 10 handle (sob wanted $50 for it)

lots of good stuff out there.

i posted what I bought on the other thread: ETL x 2, high west sob, old Taylor 6 with ND liquor in the early beam bottles.

most everything. walked into the store today, went straight to the bourbon aisle, grabbed two SAOS 8 year BP's, made sure they were the same barrel number I have open at home, grabbed two and walked out, not even looking at anything else. bourbon zen? maybe...

Forged Oak at 69.99. I tried it at buddy's and while good, I think it'd be better at higher proof.

Been hunting in El Paso so it's a long list. Had to be choosy on what to put in the suitcase.

WT Tradition

This is pretty desireable modern dusty. Unless the price was sky-high, you might want to go back for this one. I bet one of the Texas members has already PM'ed you about it.

Made the rounds to a few liquor stores in the area. Passed on a Barterhouse at $99, a forged oak at $121, and a ECBP priced at $149.99! :rolleyes:

Several bottles of EHT single and small batch

I was once a big fan of both of those. Now I pass on them also because they just cost too dang much for what they are. I do still purchase the barrel proof version though.

This is pretty desireable modern dusty. Unless the price was sky-high, you might want to go back for this one. I bet one of the Texas members has already PM'ed you about it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!