What Beer Are a You Drinking? Fall 2014

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dogfish Head relaunched in Indy this week, so tonight I'm enjoying a Barton Baton followed by a Palo Santo Marron. Both excellent. May need to try cellaring these.

Stopped in one of the Barns to get some West Sixth Cocoa Porter and grabbed a 6-pack of Country Boy's Cougar Bait as well. Unfortunately the Cougar Bait is hugely disappointing. :frown:

Plain Yuengling out of the can while finishing up some proposals at the end of the day. Just a beer. But, satisfying nonetheless. I'll must say, I enjoy this brand out of the can more than the bottle. Don't know why that is, as I almost always go the other way, preferring bottles.

Plain Yuengling out of the can while finishing up some proposals at the end of the day. Just a beer. But, satisfying nonetheless. I'll must say, I enjoy this brand out of the can more than the bottle. Don't know why that is, as I almost always go the other way, preferring bottles.

Thread drift warning: Joe, I've been seeing more in cans lately. My retailer tells me they are better at preserving freshness and are packaging more in cans. Anyone know if this is the case?

Back on topic: Sam Adams Octoberfest, and yes, from a can.

Thread drift warning: Joe, I've been seeing more in cans lately. My retailer tells me they are better at preserving freshness and are packaging more in cans. Anyone know if this is the case?

One of the biggest causes of beer going bad is light exposure. You can't get more opaque than a can!

True. Light is a big enemy of beer. Cans stand up better to light.
One of the biggest causes of beer going bad is light exposure. You can't get more opaque than a can!

Thanks guys, but I was wondering why (what appears to me anyway) there seems to be more cans esp. for premium/craft brews. I always saw the brown/dark bottles which I assumed to be to reduce light exposure, but why what appears to be a resurgence in cans? They seem to be everywhere nowadays ... were the dark bottles not quite doing it?

Thanks guys, but I was wondering why (what appears to me anyway) there seems to be more cans esp. for premium/craft brews. I always saw the brown/dark bottles which I assumed to be to reduce light exposure, but why what appears to be a resurgence in cans? They seem to be everywhere nowadays ... were the dark bottles not quite doing it?

Cans are cheaper and easier to transport.

Cans are cheaper and easier to transport.

More environmentally friendly, too. Not good for beers you want to age though.

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin. It's brewed with pumpkin rather than having pumpkin flavoring added so the pumpkin is light, but it's really good.

From speaking with a few local head brewers who have increase their usage of cans (Coronado Brewery, Ballast Point, Hess, Modern Times, etc.), they echo the reasons mentioned in this thread, but they also say that can technology has advanced to the point that now the cans being used have a non-reactive polymer coating on the interior wall, so that you don't get any metallic flavor transfer into the beer.

Newest batch of Against the Grain's Bo & Luke. Enjoyable but different. More bourbon and less smoke this time around.

From speaking with a few local head brewers who have increase their usage of cans (Coronado Brewery, Ballast Point, Hess, Modern Times, etc.), they echo the reasons mentioned in this thread, but they also say that can technology has advanced to the point that now the cans being used have a non-reactive polymer coating on the interior wall, so that you don't get any metallic flavor transfer into the beer.

I've heard the same about modern-day beer cans which are reportedly infinitely better than the ones available to us back in the day. It seems that many of my favorite micros only can their beers now and I've never had one taste remotely metallic at all.

Having a DFH 120 Minute IPA. First time having it. Really good.

Being an IPA freak I was really stoked to try this one. IMHO it's too sweet to drink more than one. Not a bad drink, but definitely not sessionable.

Being an IPA freak I was really stoked to try this one. IMHO it's too sweet to drink more than one. Not a bad drink, but definitely not sessionable.

This is one that really needs a little cellar time to get where it needs to be, and at 18% I should say it's not particularly sessionable.

This is one that really needs a little cellar time to get where it needs to be, and at 18% I should say it's not particularly sessionable.

The cold weather had me in a dark mood so started with a Founders Dark Penance. Nice black DIPA. Followed that up with an Evil Twin Aun Mas Cafe Jesus I've been sitting on for a while. Yum.

The cold weather had me in a dark mood so started with a Founders Dark Penance. Nice black DIPA. Followed that up with an Evil Twin Aun Mas Cafe Jesus I've been sitting on for a while. Yum.

Very good beer (aun Mas cafe). Much mellower and more drinkable than the even more Jesus.

Deschutes Jubelale, and I have to say it is very disappointing. Last year was also, but not this bad, every year varies a little, but seems to be heading south.

With so many people dropping by to watch the World Series, I figured I would buy in bulk and picked up a case of Sierra Nevada that included their standard pale ale, Tumbler brown ale, Oktoberfest and Vienna red lager. Although no longer very "micro," I have always enjoyed their products but had never had the Vienna before last night which I found quite good. I do recall having the brown ale last year but don't remember much about it so will be sampling that tonight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.