What Beer Are a You Drinking? Fall 2014

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes. It is Canadian Breakfast Stout. Founders quietly distributed 1/6 and 1/4 barrels of CBS to Lansing, MI pubs about two weeks ago. It has been slowly released elsewhere in Michigan since. No bottles. I don't know if barrels will be distributed outside Michigan.

Barrels have indeed made it outside of Michigan. But it is limited and as much as I would like to try it I am not sure I want to haunt the "interweb" to find out when they will be tapped and then fight the crowds to get a drop or two. I guess I will wait for more bottles and if they never came I suppose I will just live with the fact I never tries it!

Barrels have indeed made it outside of Michigan. But it is limited and as much as I would like to try it I am not sure I want to haunt the "interweb" to find out when they will be tapped and then fight the crowds to get a drop or two. I guess I will wait for more bottles and if they never came I suppose I will just live with the fact I never tries it!

I suspect bourbon barresl used to age maple syrup and then used to age imperial stouts will be the next step for brewers. OddSide Ales did something similar recently when it bottled Hipster Brunch Stout. They simply added maple syrup (and coffee and bacon) to their bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. I thought Hipster and CBS were quite similar. I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't been tried much from other brewers.

When I procured a spent barrel from Four Roses this fall, I gave it to two buddies who homebrew. The beer resting in that barrel right now tastes very similar to Backwoods Bastard. But now that I have sampled Hipster and CBS, I am interested in procuring another bourbon barrel and talking to another friend who makes maple syrup. I will offer her to borrow my barrel to age her maple syrup as long as I get the barrel when she is done with it.

I shared a large bottle of Samuel Adams New World with my son. It is a Belgian-style tripel, of which I had no previous experience. It has a very nice flavor, a little too sweet but I suppose that is how it is supposed to be.

tim

I shared a large bottle of Samuel Adams New World with my son. It is a Belgian-style tripel, of which I had no previous experience. It has a very nice flavor, a little too sweet but I suppose that is how it is supposed to be.

tim

Sound like this is something I'd really enjoy. I'll have to look for it.

Had a small Christmas bottle share over the weekend. Opened a 2011 Fou Foune and 2011 GI BCBS Bramble Rye. Both were absolutely stellar, I rated both 5 stars on untapped.

I'm celebrating tonight. I am exactly 10 weeks into a weight management program where I have been on 1,000 calories a day (except the days when I cheated, which wasn't often) and I have lost 40 pounds. I get to start weaning myself off the powdered shakes, powdered soups and granola bars and start eating real food again. I'm celebrating this victory with my first ever Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth imperial stout. If you can get this beer, do it. It stands head to toe with Bourbon County Brand Stout. I don't think I can tell the difference between the two.

post-8680-1448982179527_thumb.jpg

De Struis Cuvée Delphine. Basically bourbon barrel aged Black Albert. Damn tasty. A bit funky, a bit sweet. 4.25/5.

Shiner Holiday brew. Different but decent. Not sure I could drink more than one of these at a time, though. Too much going on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.