What Beer Are a You Drinking? Fall 2014

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It got cold tonight, so my wife and I split a 2014 2nd Shift LSD (liquid spiritual delight) imperial stout for dinner and a 2013 Perennial BA Abraxas.

Almost cried when she asked if we could open the Abraxas but it was a good night for it.

Avery Rumpkin, which is about the best damn dessert beer I could ask for. I bet this would be incredible after a couple more years aging, though I'd be afraid the pumpkin would continue to fade.

Avery Rumpkin, which is about the best damn dessert beer I could ask for. I bet this would be incredible after a couple more years aging, though I'd be afraid the pumpkin would continue to fade.

Might be surprised. Recently had a SBS of Southern Tier Pumking from the current year against one from 2 years ago and I liked the older one better. Most of the time the flavor is more spice associated with pumpkin and pumpkin pie than it is pumpkin (which is kind of bland anyway) and that didn't seem to fade that much.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Another new one for me.....Alesmith IPA. A very good IPA that to me is well balanced, doesn't go over the top in any area and has some good citrus and pine flavors to it

Edited by Vosgar

Guinness Draught cans after scoring a very affordable case at Costco. Great with Irish whiskey and scotch too!

FBD82F89-52CC-43E1-820E-E069F8E2948F_zpsqsdqmoft.jpg

Hoping those arrive here this week. Lots of requests for them.

More Anchorage Calabaza Boreal for me. Love this stuff.

Highland (Asheville, NC) Cold Mountain Winter Ale finally showed up today so I bought the max allowed and enjoying one right now.

Having my first go at a 2014 Southern Tier Warlock. I think this one has a bit less pumpkin influence than last year's, but I don't have one on hand to be sure. Either way, a nice delicious beer to enjoy while I'm doing some prep work for Thanksgiving. So far I've got my turkey bagged up for a dry brine (apparently dry rub is only for BBQ), and have the fill level for my deep fryer measured for the behemoth of a bronze breasted turkey my farm gave me (24.6lbs instead of the requested 14-16 lbs). I'm using the heart, gizzard, comparatively enormous tail (it's the size of a meaty bone in chicken breast), and neck to make a stock. I was going to go ahead and make gravy from it tonight, but it's getting late so I'll probably just stop at this stage and pick back up on Thursday.

I was fortunate enough to get a couple bottles of Zombie Dust at non-gouging prices, so I'm enjoying one after cleaning the gutters. Always a nice treat (the beer, not the gutter cleaning).

I went bananas drinking and buying beer yesterday. I drove two buddies to OddSide Ales. They were releasing two different bourbon barrel aged stouts. One of them was the usual imperial stout but the other was an imperial stout with bacon, coffee and maple syrup. The maple syrup really enhanced the chocolate notes. It was pretty damn good.

Then we went to Perrin's Brewery. They had Malted Milk Ball porter on tap after being absent for several months. I consider this beer to be every bit as good as KBS. I also purchased an imperial stout and barleywine that they aged in Van Winkle Family Reserve barrels.

We finished off our day at Founders. They had Pumpkinmudgeon on tap. I couldn't pass on it because I may never see it again. I wish I had passed. It was their Old Curmudgeon Ale (which I love) aged in bourbon barrels with pumpkin spices added. It was a sweet sticky mess. I like the pumpkin spices to be subtle but they dominated. It weighed in at 12.9% and kicked my ass to finish me off for the day.

post-8680-14489821757524_thumb.jpg

Two Brothers "Wobble IPA." Super judicious use of hops that give it a nice citrusy flavor without overdoing it. Worth seeking out for Chicagoland locals.

Two Brothers "Wobble IPA." Super judicious use of hops that give it a nice citrusy flavor without overdoing it. Worth seeking out for Chicagoland locals.

I just passed on that one last night. I'll give it a go with your thumbs up.

I got lucky last night and stumbled into some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. I was chatting up the owner of a rougher area store, and when he casually mentioned how surprised he was they still had the BCBS, my jaw nearly hit the floor. I made sure to let my brother know about my easy purchase after he froze his ass off standing in line for hours to get it last Friday.

Ninkasi Sleigh'r, my favorite easy drinking winter/seasonal beer, then a Fremont bourbon barrel Dark Star coffee edition. Both excellent.

Picked up a Rochefort 10 and St Bernadus ABT 12 after reading about them here. Also got another sixer of Weihenstephaner and Revolver Bock, two of my faves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.