Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some of my recent acquisitions that I have already noted. Haven't had much luck posting pictures until now. The Caol Ila 15 unpeated CS (an excellent whisky!) put in an appearance at the Wednesday tasting yesterday which I hope to get to today. The Longrow R&K will likely join a future Wednesday tasting after a couple of other Longrow's arrive that are on their way in the near future (hopefully after the Midwest thaws a bit!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=20215&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20216&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20217&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20218&stc=1

post-8493-14489821979448_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821979675_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821979913_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821980138_thumb.jpg

I picked up a Redbreast 21 and a Haig Club. The RB has been haunting me by how good it was since Bruce shared some at my St. Patrick's gathering last year. I finally broke down and got it this week.

I just picked up taketsuru 21 at narita airport for 50 bucks. The 17 was about 28. I don't understand how it can be so cheap there.

^Those prices are nuts.

A few days ago I impulsed on a Lagavulin 16. Been through a number of malts since I last had this... if you ask me, the nose is very much in the realm of Longrow 18. Flavor isn't quite as complex or rich but it is less than half the cost of the Longrow in my neck of the woods, so I'm happy with the buy.

I always get a new Irish for each St Patricks Day, and decided to pull the trigger a little early this time. So, I carted a Midleton Very Rare at my Whiskey Mongers shop. I know I can't wait until St. Paddy's to open it, but figure I'll not be too blasphemous if I do it on St. Valentines Day! :D. I think I can hold out for a week...

I always get a new Irish for each St Patricks Day, and decided to pull the trigger a little early this time. So, I carted a Midleton Very Rare at my Whiskey Mongers shop. I know I can't wait until St. Paddy's to open it, but figure I'll not be too blasphemous if I do it on St. Valentines Day! :D. I think I can hold out for a week...

I was considering a bottle but at $140 I had to pass (for now, hard to justify after buying a Redbreast 21 this past week)...picked up a Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel instead.

Will be curious to know what you think of the Black Barrel. I won't bias you with my opinion!

I picked up the 2014 Midleton Very Rare a while back to compare to the 2012 I have but never got around to it. I guess I need to bring it back to the front of the rotation.

I wasn't impressed with Jameson Black Barrel. I much preferred Bushmill Black Bush and it's reasonably priced.

I just picked up taketsuru 21 at narita airport for 50 bucks. The 17 was about 28. I don't understand how it can be so cheap there.

Crazy isn't it? I'm getting a case next time.

I popped it last night. For 60 bucks, it's a really good dram but it simply doesn't have that special something that dictated a price over 100 bucks not to mention over 150. It's very caramely and woody on the nose with some acidity similar to a good ponzu. It is really let down on the palate, just wood, malty sugar and a short spicy finish.

I popped it last night. For 60 bucks, it's a really good dram but it simply doesn't have that special something that dictated a price over 100 bucks not to mention over 150. It's very caramely and woody on the nose with some acidity similar to a good ponzu. It is really let down on the palate, just wood, malty sugar and a short spicy finish.

Bummer... Mine wasn't overwoody nor astringent at all. The finish is somewhat short though.

Bummer... Mine wasn't overwoody nor astringent at all. The finish is somewhat short though.

I didn't mean that it's over woody or dry, it very mild and balanced but just not special.

Personally I would grab a case or two of the 17. At $28ish that's one heck of a daily dram. I really enjoyed my bottle, though I'm glad I got through the entire thing before I found out what it costs at Narita. I have a feeling it would have tasted like sour grapes after that.

Personally I would grab a case or two of the 17. At $28ish that's one heck of a daily dram. I really enjoyed my bottle, though I'm glad I got through the entire thing before I found out what it costs at Narita. I have a feeling it would have tasted like sour grapes after that.

Yeah, it was 3000 yen, around 27 bucks at current exchange rate.

Picked up a dusty Hart Brothers Macallan 25 year old for $109 (1979/2004). I'm not familiar with Hart Bros., but basically 100 bucks for a 25 year Mac is like a $900 off retail of an OB. Not cracking it just yet, but I'll do it soon because there are 3 more on the shelf + a 22 year Hart Bros. Bowmore for the same price and same bottling period of early 2000's

Picked up a dusty Hart Brothers Macallan 25 year old for $109 (1979/2004). I'm not familiar with Hart Bros., but basically 100 bucks for a 25 year Mac is like a $900 off retail of an OB. Not cracking it just yet, but I'll do it soon because there are 3 more on the shelf + a 22 year Hart Bros. Bowmore for the same price and same bottling period of early 2000's

Great price! Seems like most of the dusty malt bastions in the Chicago area are in the South and West burbs, unfortunately for his northern dweller. I've gone through a number of Hart Bros bottlings and they've been hit and miss. The CS ones generally seem to stand out well against the 46% ones, though they have a 12/92 Springer that is very good (for the right price).

If I were you I would NOT go in expecting to fairly compare it to the OB. Please let us know how it turns out.

Great price! Seems like most of the dusty malt bastions in the Chicago area are in the South and West burbs, unfortunately for his northern dweller. I've gone through a number of Hart Bros bottlings and they've been hit and miss. The CS ones generally seem to stand out well against the 46% ones, though they have a 12/92 Springer that is very good (for the right price).

If I were you I would NOT go in expecting to fairly compare it to the OB. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info, but for the price, it wont be big let down if its not equal to $1K bottle. It's just fun to still be able to find a dusty laying around.

EDIT: The bottle I picked up is 46%

Edited by jvd99

Snagged a Macallan CS for the bunker, which maintains my sight-to-purchase batting average of 1000 (at least since I knew I was looking for it! :lol:)

Grabbed a Springbank 10 "on sale" for $57. While I personally think this is an appropriate non sale price for a 10 year old craft presented whisky, the state of Maryland seems to think it should be priced at $70-$80 before taxes. That said, this has become a favorite of mine, so it's good to keep one around.

Surprised by the appearance of Green Spot on the shelf, so I bought one...might just have to go back before they're all gone.

Surprised by the appearance of Green Spot on the shelf, so I bought one...might just have to go back before they're all gone.

At your local store or in the area in general? Green Spot has been in town for quite a while. Now if the Yellow Spot appeared on the shelf that would be a surprise!

At your local store or in the area in general? Green Spot has been in town for quite a while. Now if the Yellow Spot appeared on the shelf that would be a surprise!

Local...Grayson to be specific. I haven't done much shopping ITP in the past year, so this was somewhat of a shocker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.