Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some of my recent acquisitions that I have already noted. Haven't had much luck posting pictures until now. The Caol Ila 15 unpeated CS (an excellent whisky!) put in an appearance at the Wednesday tasting yesterday which I hope to get to today. The Longrow R&K will likely join a future Wednesday tasting after a couple of other Longrow's arrive that are on their way in the near future (hopefully after the Midwest thaws a bit!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=20215&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20216&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20217&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20218&stc=1

Bruce, please, please brother bring the Longrow to the GBS throwdown for some sampling.

Grabbed a Springbank 10 "on sale" for $57. While I personally think this is an appropriate non sale price for a 10 year old craft presented whisky, the state of Maryland seems to think it should be priced at $70-$80 before taxes. That said, this has become a favorite of mine, so it's good to keep one around.

Springbank is pretty much the only "craft" distillery in Scotland, or at least it has more reason to be called that than any other distillery over there. I love Talisker, but I would buy a 10yo Springbank for $70 before I could imagine shelling out $70 for a Tali 10. Price on the Tali just jumped from $60-$70 and I only have one in the bunker. Waaahh-waahhhh.

Springbank is pretty much the only "craft" distillery in Scotland, or at least it has more reason to be called that than any other distillery over there. I love Talisker, but I would buy a 10yo Springbank for $70 before I could imagine shelling out $70 for a Tali 10. Price on the Tali just jumped from $60-$70 and I only have one in the bunker. Waaahh-waahhhh.
Yeah, they're crafty and refuse to discount their product to take the U.S. three tier system into account . . . it's still pretty hard to swallow a non-cs 10 year old for $80. At any rate, Talisker us getting up there. I put a couple of 18s away back before the price jump, and I got last years DE on sale for $39, but I have yet to buy a bottle of the 10 for exactly the reason you state in your post. I see it on sale for $50+ occasionally, but then it's usually sitting next to Laphroaig 10 for $34.99 or the CS for $49.99. So I'll let you guess what I don't buy.

Bruce, please, please brother bring the Longrow to the GBS throwdown for some sampling.

Or maybe we need another GBS scotch night throwdown.

Or maybe we need another GBS scotch night throwdown.

Here here!

I sprung for a bottle of Teeling Silver Select 21 when I was I'm Dublin this past November. The sample I had in the Celtic Whisky Shop was amazing. Planning on bringing it to Rich's St. paddy's day throw down.

Semi impulse buy of Battle Hill Bladnoch 22, 46%. Total Wine was having a $20 off sale on their spirits direct offerings, and I figure $79 for a 22 yr old 46% malt from a now dead distillery is a relatively safe gamble. I'll probably open this after I kill my bottle of Oban.

Just for you Bill I will add it to the pile!

You are "The Man".

This calls for a couple of drams before heading into the bourbon and rye.

You are "The Man".

This calls for a couple of drams before heading into the bourbon and rye.

Do you want me to bring the other Longrow's I have accumulated as well or just the R&K?

Today, another sign that I have neither discipline, nor conscience, as I picked up a Glenmorangie Tusail PE simply because it was offered to me by my monger...No should be such an easier word to say...:D

Today, another sign that I have neither discipline, nor conscience, as I picked up a Glenmorangie Tusail PE simply because it was offered to me by my monger...No should be such an easier word to say...:D

Oh yeah because that's how it works. "No" he says. Who's ever heard anything as ridiculous?

Do you want me to bring the other Longrow's I have accumulated as well or just the R&K?

Yes, please. I'm a scotch newbie, but Springbank, Longrow, Talisker, and Lagavulin have started an itch that I'm having to scratch more and more often.

Yes, please. I'm a scotch newbie, but Springbank, Longrow, Talisker, and Lagavulin have started an itch that I'm having to scratch more and more often.

There is probably a cream for that...

A few new friends arrived yesterday from across the pond. I think stuff gets here faster from London than it does from across town!

post-8493-14489822063159_thumb.jpg

Not seeing Yellow Spot in my area yet so I figured I would get one from overseas. By the time you add shipping it probably cost about the same as the local price plus tax is likely to be. Of course it is a 700ml, not 750 as I presume the US bottles are. I wander if there will be any difference in taste...

Also enclosed is a one off from Compass Box called the Last Vatted Malt. Pricey but was surprised to still see it available. Of course that could mean it is terrible whisky! A "vatting" of single malts (22% 1974 36yo Glenallachie which is speyside and 78% 1984 26yo Caol Ila) that was done in 2011 to commemorate the change of terms from "Vatted Malt" to "Blended Malt" for a vatting of single malt whisky. Reviews suggest the Caol Ila dominates which is not surprising. Nothing wrong with mostly 26yo Caol Ila at cask strength.

Picked up 2 Mortlach 16yo "Flora & Fauna" bottles because I had always been curious about this one despite the low proof. Not sure if it is still made but it is one of the few original distillery bottlings of Mortlach that were available before Diageo revamped the line with swanky bottles and swankier prices. Not sure if they are still making this bottle.

And finally I took the bait hook, line and sinker on the Millstone 10yo Single Cask Barrel Proof (117.2 pf) 100% rye from the Netherlands. As a fan of the Millstone 100 rye (slightly younger and at 100 proof) this one was extremely intriguing and following an inquiry by another SBer I decided I needed one for myself! Well, two actually.

This one just might need to make its debut at the GBS extravaganza... :rolleyes:

15% off at Binny's yesterday, so I picked up an Old Pulteney 21 and a Compass Box Spice Tree

Craigellachie 13 and a Benromach 10. Tried the Craigellachie last night and loved it. The floral meatiness, the slightly bitter finish…tasted blind, I would've guessed Mortlach. I hope the rest of the bottle tastes as good as the first glass.

Did a lot of research and decided to get a down to earth scotch to taste and admire. I didn't get the Nikka. However Balvenie has been peaking my interest. I just picked up a Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. Well Here we go... Cheers :toast:

That is really nice. No need for water or ice. just beautiful as it is. It is quite sweet and simple, really warms you up on the way down. Not smoky or peaty at all.

Edited by R-Savage

Picked up that second Battle hill Bladnoch 22. Really enjoying the first one I bought. Good on Duncan Taylor for stepping up the abv of these releases to 46% and keeping prices relatively low. The new BB&R releases TW is getting are all 46% and $20-$50 more per bottle than last years' cask strength dumps.

First ever Irish whisey purchase, redbreast 12. Was hoping they had powers johns Lane but no luck. I hear both are very good.

Local shop is raffleing a bottle of pappy 15. For every 100 you spend you get entered. Winner can purchase the bottle for 150.

Wish me luck but either way, got the redbreast and eagle rare to keep me company.

Yet another bottle of Caol Ila 12. It never takes long for me to replace it when an existing bottle is finally emptied. Great and affordable whisky!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.