Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Exactly the same price- $79.99 for either the Revival or the Tawny Port Finish.

Posted this list over in the bourbon thread also. We opened Christmas gifts yesterday due to multiple illnesses in the family and I got the following as presents:

Ardbeg Supernova (opened immediately)

Nikka From the Barrel

Kavalan Soloist cask strength sherry

Binny's G&M 19 year Mortlach

HP18

Glendronach 15 Tawny Port finish.

Interesting indeed. The 15 Revival was a delicious nuclear sherry bomb that I loved. I tried to get something comparable and went with the Auchentoshan 3 wood, but that stuff definitely shows how young it is compared to the Revival.

How do you LIKE it vs. the 15? I'm scared. I really liked that dram...

Interesting indeed. The 15 Revival was a delicious nuclear sherry bomb that I loved. I tried to get something comparable and went with the Auchentoshan 3 wood, but that stuff definitely shows how young it is compared to the Revival.

How do you LIKE it vs. the 15? I'm scared. I really liked that dram...

I like the tawny port because it's different. Very, very easy to drink. They're both good. The revival is more complex, though.

I could drink the revival at least a couple times a week, but the tawny I could drink half the bottle and pass out.

It's not awesome, but so easy to drink.

I feel as though Port plays extremely well with the traditional sherry and bourbon casks. It seems to "bridge the gap" between them when done in proper proportions. I think more distillers could use it to make those precious sherry casks go a bit further.

The Nikka from the barrel is interesting. Real soft and grain-whisky like. It's a good summer malt if you're looking for one.

Grabbed a Lag 2013 DE. Its a good pour but just wish they upped the proof a bit.

Posted this list over in the bourbon thread also. We opened Christmas gifts yesterday due to multiple illnesses in the family and I got the following as presents:

Ardbeg Supernova (opened immediately)

Nikka From the Barrel

Kavalan Soloist cask strength sherry

Binny's G&M 19 year Mortlach

HP18

A few odds and ends purchased a while back but just received thanks to the kind assistance of a fellow SBer.

post-8493-14489821856329_thumb.jpg

A Cheiftain's cask strength of 16 yo Bunnahabhain from 1997 described as "heavily peated". I am thinking this is the same batch of whisky as the Bunnahabhain tried back in July as part of a Wednesday tasting. But this one is 3 years older, cask strength and doesn't have any extra finishing. Will need to try these two together.

The recent Kilchoman Port finish peated whiskey that is NCF and bottled at 55% (but not cask strength I think?). A brilliant dark ruby red color after spending its entire if brief life in ex-ruby port casks but at a massively unpleasant price for a 3yo that is just barely legally whisky. if this isn't good it will move towards the top of my "disappointing whisky" list.

Finally a couple of expensive oddball whiskies from Spain. A grain (mostly corn) and malt single barrel cask strength whisky aged in reportedly unusual Palo Cortado sherry casks in an environment more like Kentucky than Scotland for their entire if again brief 5 years of aging. Although they weren't cheap either I knew these were oddities going in so I will have a little more tolerance for these if they don't prove to be noteworthy. So far a limited bottling of around 330 of each at least in the US.

These will most likely be featured at the next Wednesday tasting which hopefully will be tomorrow!

Just received my TWE package containing two bottles of Port Askaig 19 50.4% abv and a tea towel featuring the whisky tasting map (free gift). Looking forward to cracking one open soon!

Finally a couple of expensive oddball whiskies from Spain. A grain (mostly corn) and malt single barrel cask strength whisky aged in reportedly unusual Palo Cortado sherry casks in an environment more like Kentucky than Scotland for their entire if again brief 5 years of aging. Although they weren't cheap either I knew these were oddities going in so I will have a little more tolerance for these if they don't prove to be noteworthy. So far a limited bottling of around 330 of each at least in the US.

OK, you've piqued my interest Bruce

Finally picking up an Ardbeg SN2014 thanks to a kind SB member, and separately got an Arran DPB III. Now I feel a little foolish for passing up I and II when I had the chance, but better late than never!

OK, you've piqued my interest Bruce

Mine is rather piqued as well. Roughly 90 minutes to go before we start pulling corks!

I picked up a backup Clynelish 14 last week. They have been absent from shelves around here and whenever anything from Diageo goes missing for awhile I assume when it returns it will be at least 35% more expensive. This one still sat at $50 so I grabbed one. Probably should have grabbed three...

I had been nursing a half bottle of Clynelish since sometime last Fall and was happy (and relieved) to see them back on the shelf last week. Similar dark thoughts had crossed my mind. I picked one up as well and feel that another purchase might be in order this Saturday..

Congrats on the new one!

An update: I had my third girl on the evening of 12/29/14 :) Baby came 2 hours after arriving at the hospital. My wife literally pushed twice. Other than my other two girls passing around nasty colds, everyone is doing well!

I picked up a backup Clynelish 14 last week. They have been absent from shelves around here and whenever anything from Diageo goes missing for awhile I assume when it returns it will be at least 35% more expensive. This one still sat at $50 so I grabbed one. Probably should have grabbed three...

congrats on the new addition! I got a Bunnahabhain 12 in a bottle swap with a fellow SBer and bought a Glenkinchie 20 to really put myself in hot water with the wife.

Snagged a couple bottles of the new Crown Royal single barrel TX edition, but need to wait for my head to clear to open and sample. Hopefully will get a chance this weekend!

Was that local Gary or are you on the road? Must be on the road if it is the TX edition I suppose.

An update: I had my third girl on the evening of 12/29/14 :) Baby came 2 hours after arriving at the hospital. My wife literally pushed twice. Other than my other two girls passing around nasty colds, everyone is doing well!

Picked up an older HP 18 - figured $90 was hard to beat! Now just have to wait to get home to open it (grrrr)

Picked up an older HP 18 - figured $90 was hard to beat! Now just have to wait to get home to open it (grrrr)

Ha! So you did end up buying it. Bring it over sometime and we can do an old/new side by side and go all "Bruce" on it.

Purchased Redbreast 12. I had it a bar for the first time recently and have been wanting a bottle ever since.

Ha! So you did end up buying it. Bring it over sometime and we can do an old/new side by side and go all "Bruce" on it.

GoPro that please ;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.