Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is what I've been up to the last few weeks:

Binny's 1993 Signatory Bladnoch 19 - I have very little experience with Lowland whisky. This was a pick from a few years ago, so the price is right.

Binny's 1988 Balmenach 25 - great price for the age. I had a little taste and thought it was on point. Rich fruit and caramel.

Binny's 1994 Mortlach 19 - this was one I splurged on. I also had a little taste of this and it was quite decadent with lots of meaty chocolate. First fill sherry.

Binny's 2007 G&M Caol Ila 7 - best young CI I've had. Islay peat on the front end, tropical fruit bomb on the back end.

Springbank Green - new limited release of a 12yo distilled from organic barley and aged entirely in bourbon barrels. They were asking too much for it, but for Springbank, I took that bullet.

Laphroaig 10 CS, batch 005 from Feb 2013 - my first Laph CS. I hope it's better than other OBs I've had.

64110e749d80cb2558403969c218284f.jpg

Binny's 2007 G&M Caol Ila 7 - best young CI I've had. Islay peat on the front end, tropical fruit bomb on the back end.

Agree completely. Damn glad Lost Pollito recommended this bottle over the 2006 I'd been looking at.

I've got one of those Binny's Mortlach's on the way with a Longrow Red Shiraz. Also a SMWS Benrinnes, 1990 Glenfarclas, and a Laga 16 from K&L.

Compass Box Peat Monster 10th Anniversary, Port Charlotte NAS (the new, regular line PC), Glendronach 15 Tawny Port Finish, Springbank 12 Calvados Finish, Lost Spirits Ouroboros (not foreign, but a single malt regardless).

Accidentally bought a teelings single grain today, i wasnt paying attention as i just thought it was the small batch in a different bottle, the colour should have given it away, i didnt even know the single grain was a thing!

I really like it, i havent had much luck with whiskey aged in ex wine barrels, but i guess none of those were corn whiskey either.

The nose is nothing too special, definitely not bad by a longshot, but in the mouth a rollercoster of flavour and texture. Touch of water definitely changes it up, pretty unique stuff.

Added a dash of Dale DeGroff's pimento bitters to 2.5oz of the Teelings and 0.5 oz of Dubonet, had it after dinner but this would make a killer apperetif.

Agree completely. Damn glad Lost Pollito recommended this bottle over the 2006 I'd been looking at.

I drank through a bottle of that 2006. It was tasty, but boring compared the my sample of the 2007.

I've got one of those Binny's Mortlach's on the way with a Longrow Red Shiraz. Also a SMWS Benrinnes, 1990 Glenfarclas, and a Laga 16 from K&L.

Mmm, nice choice on the Longrow Shiraz. I've heard great things about that SMWS Benrinnes and have a soft spot for the distillery after tasting a CS 11yo last year. Look forward to your notes on it.

Rolled the dice on a Berry's Longmorn 20yr CS/UCF (55.6 ABV). First indie bottling I've bought without having tried first, so fingers crossed!

Gordon & Macphail's Speymalt 1991 Macallan 21. On sale for $139. A whole lot cheaper than Macallan 25.

I was outside of my normal territory and found an Arran 12 CS. Liking this one a lot!

I bought a 10 year age stated Glenfarclas 105, and a friend bought me a bottle of Talisker 10.

I bought a 10 year age stated Glenfarclas 105, and a friend bought me a bottle of Talisker 10.

That's an old bottle, I've never seen an age stated 105.

That's an old bottle, I've never seen an age stated 105.
They're all over Maryland. Before they pulled the age statement completely (haven't actually seen an NAS bottle here yet), they transferred the age statement to the back label and buried it in a big block of text. You have to look kind of hard to see it. A lot of whisky writers took note of the label change, but didn't realize the age statement remained for awhile (if in fact it is actually gone in the U.S.). I've actually read that some markets went to NAS immediately and others kept the age statement for quite awhile longer.

Bottom line: Glenfarclas isn't above a little label manipulation voodoo, despite being family run. They get points for keeping their older releases affordable, but the reviews seem to indicate that their best whisky has long since been pulled from those and is released as part of the now obscenely expensive family casks series. I still want to try the 21 and 25 since I think a lot of folks sometimes confuse "needs time to open up" with "defective", but I have had a hard time finding truly complimentary reviews of those releases.

Edited by garbanzobean

They're all over Maryland. Before they pulled the age statement completely (haven't actually seen an NAS bottle here yet), they transferred the age statement to the back label and buried it in a big block of text. You have to look kind of hard to see it. A lot of whisky writers took note of the label change, but didn't realize the age statement remained for awhile (if in fact it is actually gone in the U.S.). I've actually read that some markets went to NAS immediately and others kept the age statement for quite awhile longer.

Bottom line: Glenfarclas isn't above a little label manipulation voodoo, despite being family run. They get points for keeping their older releases affordable, but the reviews seem to indicate that their best whisky has long since been pulled from those and is released as part of the now obscenely expensive family casks series. I still want to try the 21 and 25 since I think a lot of folks sometimes confuse "needs time to open up" with "defective", but I have had a hard time finding truly complimentary reviews of those releases.

How much do they get in MD for Glenfarclas 105?

I have found my preference to be Glenfarclas 17, although I really liked the 21 as well. I thought the 25 was a bit too muted in flavor- very good and pleasant, but inoffensive in how muted the flavor has become and consequently, not worth the outlay. There aren't too many 20+ yr. scotches that I find to be great- HP 25, Talisker 25 and Bowmore 25 are three that I've found to be great- maybe not worth the $$$, but tasty.

I have found my preference to be Glenfarclas 17, although I really liked the 21 as well. I thought the 25 was a bit too muted in flavor- very good and pleasant, but inoffensive in how muted the flavor has become and consequently, not worth the outlay.

I agree with you on the 25 - the oak dominates and butts out the malt character. The 21 is the sweet spot in the line up for me. The 10 and 12 are young enough to remain feisty at 43%, but the 17 is too subtle at that proof. The 21 is old enough to express a good depth despite being watered down to 43%.

I have found my preference to be Glenfarclas 17, although I really liked the 21 as well. I thought the 25 was a bit too muted in flavor- very good and pleasant, but inoffensive in how muted the flavor has become and consequently, not worth the outlay. There aren't too many 20+ yr. scotches that I find to be great- HP 25, Talisker 25 and Bowmore 25 are three that I've found to be great- maybe not worth the $$$, but tasty.

I agree with you on the 25 - the oak dominates and butts out the malt character. The 21 is the sweet spot in the line up for me. The 10 and 12 are young enough to remain feisty at 43%, but the 17 is too subtle at that proof. The 21 is old enough to express a good depth despite being watered down to 43%.

IMO, the sweet spot for Glenfarclas is the 15yo* (46% abv) although, IIRC, it is not available in the USA? Is that correct?

*the 40yo I tasted a while back was mighty fine too but out of my price range ... even though its well priced for such an old single malt.

IMO, the sweet spot for Glenfarclas is the 15yo* (46% abv) although, IIRC, it is not available in the USA? Is that correct?

Correct. I don't know why it's not here. I would like to try it.

Grabbed bottles of Tobermory, Craigcellachie, Benrinnes, and Laphroaig from K&L's recent release. Splitting them all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.