Your favorite sub $20 sipper

thunderhead357
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe the green label is 80 proof. The BIB has a white label. It's not available everywhere, so you may have to do a bit of research to see if somebody stocks it around you (or one of the other HH BIBs). There's only a few stores that I know of near me that carry it.

ive seen different proofs under different color labels in different states, so it depends on where you are apparantly. in KY, the gold (now apparently gone) is the 4 year, the green is the 90 proof 6 year, the white is the BIB 6 year, and the black is the NAS 80 proofer.

TT - what about VOB6?

I quit buying after I depleted my area of 6 yr labels. I'll try the new 6 sometime this year and just hope I like it as much as the AAA10*.

I quit buying after I depleted my area of 6 yr labels. I'll try the new 6 sometime this year and just hope I like it as much as the AAA10*.

Bunkered some VOB BIB 6YR during the shelf clearing period (I wasn't the only one so my guilt is minimal:rolleyes:) and have kept one open solely for SBSs. I've gone through three "6" NAS since the switch to NAS, each purchased several months apart, and it moves fast at my source so I'm figuring at least the first and the last are different batches. FWIW, I really like it and STILL can't tell any real (i.e., "bad") difference between the NAS and the 6YR. Indeed, I recently started buying the NAS BIB in multiples - starting to trust it - in order to cut down on trips (the source is not really close). It remains a favorite @ well under $20.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
typos, of course

I think I've figured out most of the acronyms but I still can't for the life of me figure out what AAA 10* is

I think I've figured out most of the acronyms but I still can't for the life of me figure out what AAA 10* is

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star (not 10 year)

Bunkered some VOB BIB 6YR during the shelf clearing period (I wasn't the only one so my guilt is minimal:rolleyes:) and have kept one open solely for SBSs. I've gone through three "6" NAS since the switch to NAS, each purchased several months apart, and it moves fast at my source so I'm figuring at least the first and the last are different batches. FWIW, I really like it and STILL can't tell any real (i.e., "bad") difference between the NAS and the 6YR. Indeed, I recently started buying the NAS BIB in multiples - starting to trust it - in order to cut down on trips (the source is not really close). It remains a favorite @ well under $20.

That's good enough for me. I'll pick a botle on my next trip. I do wish I had kept one bottle for a SBS but I just couldn't stop pouring.

Thanks Harry

Lately I've been enjoying Virgin Bourbon - 7 year 101 proof. Most likely a HH product. It's roughly $12 a bottle. And while not a bourbon I find myself spreading the gospel of Mellow Corn on the rocks, also about $12 a bottle. And not an everyday bottle but a local store has a dynamite barrel of OWA for $20 a bottle.

BT and 4RYL when I can find the handles are my favorite <$20 sippers. It would probably be Weller if I could get it on a regular basis.

Around my parts 4RYL is under $20. It's $19.99. Never seen it less

Yeah, I would call Virgin robust rather than refined, sorta like a ramped up Evan Williams Black with some edges. Good stuff that an NDP would price much higher if they could get it.

Around my parts 4RYL is under $20making $19.99. Never seen it less

4RYL is $19.99 here as well and the handles go for $37.99 making it an even better deal. The BT 750s are going for $25.99 and the handles for $39.99 making that an awesome deal, when I can find them!

4RYL is $19.99 here as well and the handles go for $37.99 making it an even better deal. The BT 750s are going for $25.99 and the handles for $39.99 making that an awesome deal, when I can find them!

I enjoyed the last bottle of Evan Williams 1783 ($15). It was on clearance at the time and I should have bought the other two bottles.

I enjoyed the last bottle of Evan Williams 1783 ($15). It was on clearance at the time and I should have bought the other two bottles.

I just finished off one of these as well. It's an even bigger steal here at $11.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that EW 1783 is a decent sipper. I can get it in my area for $13. I also really like Old Forester and Buffalo Trace. I might give BT the slightest edge over the OF for top spot for my sub $20 pour on a Tuesday. On a Friday they might switch place.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.