Your favorite sub $20 sipper

thunderhead357
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The only bottles I can get around here for under $20:

JBW

EWB

EW Green

Old Crow

Ten High

AA

Of those choices it would have to be EWB. Decent enough to sip straight but makes a good old fashioned too!

I always have FRYL which I can get for $25/1.75 as my rye and WSR which I can get for $20/1.75 in Augusta GA as my wheater. I also keep an inexpensive rye which varies and is currently Dickel.

Here they are in my favorite decanters.

post-5814-14489821836853_thumb.jpg

I haven't tried FRYL so this may be a foot in mouth comment, but Four Roses single barrel (the standard recipe available anywhere) is basically the bar where I judge what I'm buying. Even disregarding the (low) price tags of other bourbon. When I read how similar Bulliet might be, and as a value drinker, I was totally open. But no way. I didn't do a side by side taste test, but if anyone says Bulliet and 4RSB in the same sentence I can't imagine what they're thinking. Same with small batch. The standard four roses single barrel apparently leapfrogs the lower cost four roses products. Much in the same way I'd never confuse OGD114 for the other OGD products. I'd by 4RSB for under $40 any day, I don't think I'll ever try standard small batch again if I'm buying the bottle. It was that bad. Just odd and dare I say fruity. A strange fruity, like how banana runts don't taste anything like an actual banana. I understand it's a mix of the yeast strains and it makes it really off putting to try a barrel of a different strain.

I haven't tried FRYL so this may be a foot in mouth comment, but Four Roses single barrel (the standard recipe available anywhere) is basically the bar where I judge what I'm buying. Even disregarding the (low) price tags of other bourbon. When I read how similar Bulliet might be, and as a value drinker, I was totally open. But no way. I didn't do a side by side taste test, but if anyone says Bulliet and 4RSB in the same sentence I can't imagine what they're thinking. Same with small batch. The standard four roses single barrel apparently leapfrogs the lower cost four roses products. Much in the same way I'd never confuse OGD114 for the other OGD products. I'd by 4RSB for under $40 any day, I don't think I'll ever try standard small batch again if I'm buying the bottle. It was that bad. Just odd and dare I say fruity. A strange fruity, like how banana runts don't taste anything like an actual banana. I understand it's a mix of the yeast strains and it makes it really off putting to try a barrel of a different strain.

i couldve written this myself, except for the fact that I dont care for the single barrel either

I think all the 4R products (that I've tasted anyway) have a bit of fruitiness to them. Oddly, I don't get that as much from Bulleit.

I'd say that Bulleit has that same "softness" on the palate that some 4R's have. That and a little bit of the sweetness is where the similarity lies for me.

I'll still have to say Old Grand Dad. I thought I would switch to something else when they went from 86 to 80 proof, but it is still the inexpensive bourbon that tastes like bourbon, to me. Not that I've tried them all.

tim

• 1 month later...

A local store (Randall's aka internetwines) has 1.75Ls of EW Black for $17 right now (probably in-store only). Hell yesss!!!

With Tim on this one. OGD BiB still under $20. Haven't had the 80 proof since the change and had not drank the 86 proof in years prior to that. The BiB is still only a couple of bucks higher than the lower proof version.

A local store (Randall's aka internetwines) has 1.75Ls of EW Black for $17 right now (probably in-store only). Hell yesss!!!

Two of those for the price of one 375 of the latest Micro 24 month wonder. Hell yes indeed.

Good first post, welcome aboard.

I've only seen EW BIB with a white label though Heaven Hill BIBs come in both green and gold labels.

My top 5 in no order

1. OGD BIB

2. Old Fitz BIB

3. Evan Williams 1783

4. 4 Roses Yellw

5. WL Weller Special Resrve

Ok bare with me on this one. The most bang for my buck is Evan Williams Black. Now I don't know about your area. but all these bourbons that are up here except for the EWB start at about 36.00 up here with some exception JBB 31 dollars, JBDC 32.00. A Nice Bourbon that I can Recommend is a Woodford Reserve. Whether that is 20 - 26 dollars in your area, I don't know

Since y'all have ruined me to anything under 90 proof my sub $20 bottles are now:

1. OGDBIB

2. EWBIB

3. WT101

4. AAA 10*

5. RITTBIB & OFSig are now + $20 so I don't have a #5 anymore.

Is EW Bottled in Bond the green label one?

I believe the green label is 80 proof. The BIB has a white label. It's not available everywhere, so you may have to do a bit of research to see if somebody stocks it around you (or one of the other HH BIBs). There's only a few stores that I know of near me that carry it.

BT and 4RYL when I can find the handles are my favorite <$20 sippers. It would probably be Weller if I could get it on a regular basis.

Lately I've been enjoying Virgin Bourbon - 7 year 101 proof. Most likely a HH product. It's roughly $12 a bottle. And while not a bourbon I find myself spreading the gospel of Mellow Corn on the rocks, also about $12 a bottle. And not an everyday bottle but a local store has a dynamite barrel of OWA for $20 a bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.