Possible insights from Heaven Hill in the near term?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fitz 12 ties with WLW for being the oldest wheater I really like. I've only had it once at the BHC, but it surprised me, along with Larceny. While I hate to see a line as venerable as OF go away, I do hope this means Larceny will become readily available in Maryland. I could live with that tradeoff, assuming it's available for a reasonable price.

I haven't had enough of the new Old Fitz to have much of an opinion. The 12 year did not really impress me and I don't think I ever saw any new BIB. However, it seems odd to abandon such a famous and long-standing brand. It would be as if GM decided to abandon the Cadillac brand and call all of the new cars in that line "Ninja Extreme Rebel Label," because it's edgy and won't seem too stodgy for the kids these days. I will say that I like the Larceny enough to buy a bottle one of these days, for a reasonable price.

New EC18 above $100 would just be obnoxious on the part of Heaven Hill, in my view. ...
HH has more cool than that. They're in position to sell age for lot less than other guys. I'm thinking it'll be lot less than that.

Thanks for sharing the info. The Pikesville rye gets me excited, a few more year and proof points on Rittenhouse, hoping it comes in around $40, would be quite pleased at $35. HH is going to treat us right.

As bottles that were once my standard "always on hand" pours become more and more scarce, I find myself turning to Larceny more and more. I always buy it in 1.75s now.

Fairly excited for the Pikesville Rye myself.

HH has more cool than that. They're in position to sell age for lot less than other guys. I'm thinking it'll be lot less than that.

I bet msrp is near $100. We could have another round of two of price increases before it is released.

ack!! now I'm not going to sleep tonight.

I expect price increases with every new shipment from the distributors. It is what it is.

Very cool!

I am interested to hear more about the mystery Bernheim wheated juice, if it comes to fruition. No doubt if there is an S-W provenance, whether its good or not, people will clamor for it.

I think a 6yr 110 proof kentucky style rye is exactly what the market needs right now. I am surprised they have enough of that rye to go around though. Perhaps this will have a helfy price tag? Limited distribution?

I think a 6yr 110 proof kentucky style rye is exactly what the market needs right now. I am surprised they have enough of that rye to go around though. Perhaps this will have a helfy price tag? Limited distribution?

A couple things to consider here:

HH continues to bring incredible products to the marketplace with incredible prices.

They also have more then 1 MILLION barrels aging

A very good friend introduced me to OF BIB a few years ago. I was shocked how enjoyable it was with some DH2O cubes. Can anyone tell me if there is any rye in Larceny. I read somewhere that PVW added wheat to the mash bill to soften the taste.

A very good friend introduced me to OF BIB a few years ago. I was shocked how enjoyable it was with some DH2O cubes. Can anyone tell me if there is any rye in Larceny. I read somewhere that PVW added wheat to the mash bill to soften the taste.

Larceny is a wheated mash bill, so no rye. The wheated mash bill that we know from so many bourbons today (Old Fitz, Weller, PVW, Larceny, etc.) comes from A. Ph. Stitzel, the distiller that "Pappy" bought out and incorporated his recipe.

Luther is correct, the distillers working at Stitzel brought the wheat formula (actually developed 50 years earlier) with them to Stitzel-Weller. According to his letters PVW (who was a businessman, not a distiller) chose to continue with the wheated Bourbon because he believed it aged faster which meant he could sell it quicker.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Pikesville. It's my favorite cheap rye whiskey. At 3 years old and 80 proof, it's a great, simple rye. The burning question is if they will increase the distribution area for Pikesville. Right now, from what I understand, it's basically only sold in Maryland. I suppose I can always water the 110 down to 80 and sit back and enjoy.....

On a different note, I am SUPER stoked about the return of the Elijah Craig 18! That's one of my favorite "special occasion" bourbons.

Bruce, many thanks for the information. I've always been fond of "wheaters". While Weller in all it's incarnations is available, I have to rely on my brothers still living in Luavull to procure my OF BIB. OF12 has been impossible for them to find in the past year, and even BIB is getting tougher. I have nothing against Larceny and keep it on hand, just hate to see another venerable label like OF falling by the wayside.

I asked Bernie Lubbers about Old Fitzgerald on Twitter. He replied:

it's not going away. Old Fitz BIB will still be in KY and Larceny is the national small batch expression for Old Fitz.

It's not going away. Old Fitz BIB will still be in KY and Larceny is the national small batch expression for Old Fitz.

Well, perhaps the rep was talking specifically about the 90pf VSOF 12yo as that was the bottle I had with me at the time that I asked my question. I didn't specifically ask about the BIB.

If it is limited to Kentucky only it might as well be going away if I can't get it on a regular basis but good to know it will hang around a bit longer I suppose.

Well, perhaps the rep was talking specifically about the 90pf VSOF 12yo as that was the bottle I had with me at the time that I asked my question. I didn't specifically ask about the BIB.

If it is limited to Kentucky only it might as well be going away if I can't get it on a regular basis but good to know it will hang around a bit longer I suppose.

Had another SBer message me to tell me he just saw it at a Liquor Barn in Louisville. I haven't seen any OF in Atlanta since I don't know when.

I don't know about the 90pf VSOF 12....I'll let ya know when I hear from my Bro....

Hidden

Great to hear OFBIB lives, even though its confined to KY. Not sure "national small batch" makes any sense.

Glad to hear OFBIB lives, even if it is condemned to KY only :grin:. but, Larceny as "national small batch" makes no sense.

Glad to hear OFBIB lives, even if it is condemned to KY only :grin:. but, Larceny as "national small batch" makes no sense.

I took it to mean that Larceny (as a small batch and in the Fitzgerald line) is intended for national distribution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.