Possible insights from Heaven Hill in the near term?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Visited HH today. I asked about a couple of things, and was shown a memo. Here's the short version. Elijah Craig will remain 12 years old. Minor label change to reflect more of an emphasis on the small batch designation. The 12 year old age statement will be on the back of the bottle. I was also told that the VSOF is not going away. It's only being sold in Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Pretty disappointing to hear that the EWSB is now being bottled around 8 years. I know there is not an official 10-year age statement, but it was usually around 10 years.

Minor label change to reflect more of an emphasis on the small batch designation.
My Dad and I took the tour today and they mentioned the small batch status a couple of times, so it does seem like they're emphasizing that.

With age = quality among mass market consumers, releasing an 18 year at $130 or whatever this year while a 12 year sits at $25 might not compute well. So, I could see a simple marketing decision to de-emphasize the year statement on EC12 so not to hurt higher margin stuff. That likely all wishful thinking, but not unreasonable. :)

Also, in Michigan the wholesale price of EC12 is going up 11% next week. So, it seems more than just the label is changing.

Also, in Michigan the wholesale price of EC12 is going up 11% next week. So, it seems more than just the label is changing.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, but maybe upping the price may just be supply/demand management. If HH really is starting to get stretched...then they can make the same revenue on 11% fewer bottles, protect their aging stocks and the quality of the brand.

Of course, that assumes that EC12 behaves like any other commodity...and maybe that's the case...it doesn't have a ton of hype surrounding it...

I was also told that the VSOF is not going away. It's only being sold in Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Trying to think of a good excuse to visit one of those states...

Where did you hear this? I was trying not to buy any new bottles for a while but if this is true I might need to go grab a half or full case for the bunker.

Where did you hear this? I was trying not to buy any new bottles for a while but if this is true I might need to go grab a half or full case for the bunker.

It's in the May price book.

It's in the May price book.

Thx, sounds like I need to give the credit card a workout and clear off a shelf or two as this is one of my favorites right now.

Thx, sounds like I need to give the credit card a workout and clear off a shelf or two as this is one of my favorites right now.

"grab a half or full case for the bunker"............"clear off a shelf or two"

Hoarding a midrange, midprice bourbon because the price goes up $3 a bottle? Hmmmm.

True, I should just work on drinking up all the other 20 - 40 dollar bottles I already bunkered.

"grab a half or full case for the bunker"............"clear off a shelf or two"

Hoarding a midrange, midprice bourbon because the price goes up $3 a bottle? Hmmmm.

It's like buying 10 and getting the 11th free!

Not a bad way to look at it. These boards have been littered over the years with the statement, "I wish I would have stocked up at that price..."

Not a bad way to look at it. These boards have been littered over the years with the statement, "I wish I would have stocked up at that price..."

Well, at least anytime soon, existing Bourbon brands/bottles aren't likely to get better or cheaper. But still, I think people should rationally balance how much money they want tied up sitting on a shelf vs the near term outlook. For EC12, we've got assurances the age statement isn't going away anytime soon, it's still will be widely available, and it's still a great value even with a 11% price increase.

A year supply might be relatively reasonable. Lifetime supply may be extreme. :)

I have the feeling neither you nor I would buy 10 EC12's just to get the 11th free. Eleven EC12 would cost $297 pretax now, and $330 after the price increase. Would you want to spend $297 now for eleven EC12 or spend $30 later for one EC12 and have $267 left over to spend on a variety of other bottles that might enhance your taste experience beyond EC12? While enjoying my one bottle of EC12, I would sure like the thought of what better finds $267 might buy. But then I'm always looking for something newer and better.

Yes, I might grab one before the price goes up since I don't have a spare of this right now but I am trying to put a hold on buying right now as I spent over $500 this past month bunkering stuff. :/

Somebody bought out EC12 at the local Kroger since I was there last week. I don't know if there has been a run at any of the local liquor stores. I guess it is possible that several people bought a bottle or two each and it is just a coincidence that they are out.

Somebody bought out EC12 at the local Kroger since I was there last week. I don't know if there has been a run at any of the local liquor stores. I guess it is possible that several people bought a bottle or two each and it is just a coincidence that they are out.

Label changes appear to be better for business than a Super Bowl ad (and cheaper too)! :lol:

Looks like it's been moving here as well. All the 750's I saw today were the new label. You know, the one that prominently says that it's a 12 year old bourbon on the back.

P. S. I kinda like the new label, but prolly not as much as HH does.:grin:

Label changes and price hikes next month.

The worst liquor store in NYC (in Grand Central) cleared out their 6 EC12s (old label) at $35 each and 3 ECBPs at $75 each in less than a week. The 3 new ECs are all the new label. The place is so bad I only go in to have a laugh, but I can see the new labels from the window.

Edit: They had regular Buffalo Trace 750 ml for $47, to give you an idea how bad they are. I snapped a picture to share with Fred Minnick for an upcoming story, but got too bored with the whole project.

stores in my area are getting cleared out of the age stated front label ec12 and the new labels are now on most shelves. what a difference a week makes.

I have the feeling neither you nor I would buy 10 EC12's just to get the 11th free. Eleven EC12 would cost $297 pretax now, and $330 after the price increase. Would you want to spend $297 now for eleven EC12 or spend $30 later for one EC12 and have $267 left over to spend on a variety of other bottles that might enhance your taste experience beyond EC12? While enjoying my one bottle of EC12, I would sure like the thought of what better finds $267 might buy. But then I'm always looking for something newer and better.

For folks that have had a majority of American Whiskies out there and already know what they like instead of chasing "newer and better" things, yes, this does make sense. Not for the panic-induced reasons some might have, but in order to save some moneys. Also, 10 would cost me $260 and that's before a case discount at 12. So a dozen bottles for about the same price as one EC23. Makes sense to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.