EH Taylor Cured Oak

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I didn't know it was prohibited, but I obviously do now.

I also wasn't soliciting a trade. I was genuinely curious whether people would drink it or trade it and what they would look for. But I get the gist of the board's identity now (which I like).

Since we are 23 pages in and there aren't many reviews I'll post my thoughts on it. I had a 1oz pour about a month ago. I feel that Signde's review from the previous page is pretty accurate. Old and funky, but a little more lively than ER17. I'd imagine if you took a pour of ER17 and poured a little GTS in to proof it up to 100, you'd have a pretty good idea of Cured Oak. I personally liked it better than ER17, but I'm not a big fan of ER17. Cured Oak is a good whiskey for sure, but unless you are in love with pours like ER17, you probably won't love it.

I tried CO a few weeks back at Proof on Main in Louisville and I liked it well enough but I agree that its not worth the hunt. The finish was just too short and mouth feel too thin for me to consider it a great whiskey. I think it was $18.00 a pour for those who care.

that first review is mine, signde drinks is my blog.

i'm not crazy about the cured oak because i don't care for older funky bourbons and it has a lot of funk to it. i think a good litmus test is if you like ER17 you will like cured oak. i think it's better than ER17 but i don't think very highly of ER17 at all.

I'm in the minority around here because I do enjoy "older funky bourbons with a lot of oak" but I'm totally turned off on this because my price is $300 and I highly doubt it is worth $100 and doesn't do me any good if most of y'all can get it for under $80.

I am not upset at my dealer because he only uses his std mark up, the distributors jacking up prices, limiting allocations and the distillers just plain adding to it by all the special bottlings have just really turned me off.

Rant over and if I've offended any member let me apologize in advance.

"Rant over and if I've offended any member let me apologize in advance"

After the posts I've been reading recently this made me laugh.:slappin:

Many people seem to be getting upset recently. Maybe it's the summer heat setting in. Is it summer yet?:rolleyes:

Edited by meadeweber

Many people seem to be getting upset recently. Maybe it's the summer heat setting in. Is it summer yet?:rolleyes:

I think we're seeing the strain of the advanced phases of this boom. It does require a long term view, which isn't always on tap after a rough work day, etc. We'll all get through it.

I think we're seeing the strain of the advanced phases of this boom. It does require a long term view, which isn't always on tap after a rough work day, etc. We'll all get through it.

Yeah - I'd be irritated if I thunk too hard about it, so - I don't. I've written this one off as one I may never get a chance to try, and even if I do - having never had any real chance to buy one, I can't be frustrated either way. Seeing posts on facebook just crack me up though - literally some folks have acquired bottles and they're afraid to open/try them because "they're just too valuable". Makes me think of buying a car I can't really afford, and then not driving it :lol:

Bought it, opened it, liked it ok. Actually bucky1 and I did a side by side with an ER17. We agreed the ER tasted "older" with more overt barrel influence. Had a much nicer nose. The CO had the better depth of palate-more nuance, livelier. And a much better finish. Overall VERY drinkable and probably "worth" retail. Beyond that......no.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to drink Cured Oak last weekend. It definitely tasted like an EH Taylor product, had the trademark spiciness of the single barrel. However, I noticed that it did not really have any heat to it, nor was there any overly oaky or bitter character. It had very nice, strongly vanilla finish. To put it briefly, it tasted like a refined CEHT SB with a much nicer finish. Not having the opportunity to get a bottle, now I don't feel so bad. Personally, I'd rather drink CEHTBP with a couple drops of water.

I tried a pour of this at a bar earlier this week. I think the comparisons to ER17 are valid. I got even more vanilla out of the Cured Oak than I remember in the ER17. If you like one, you'll like the other. I really enjoy ER17 so the Cured Oak was pretty tasty to me.

i just had my first taste of Cured Oak at a local spot. I agree it has a very pleasant flavor profile that's easy to sip and nice finish. i would have been more than happy to pay $70-100 for a bottle in store but it seems pretty crazy to me how it's apparently been going for multiples of that on the secondary market.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it priced at $400 near me. $400!! C'mon... I'm sure it's a fine bottle, but who's buying this stuff at $400? Are people really that rabid over a limited Colonel EH Taylor release? This isn't BTAC or Van Winkle or FR. What on earth is going on here?

probably because it's a special release and it's a 17yr old bourbon

Saw it priced at $400 near me. $400!! C'mon... I'm sure it's a fine bottle, but who's buying this stuff at $400? Are people really that rabid over a limited Colonel EH Taylor release? This isn't BTAC or Van Winkle or FR. What on earth is going on here?

probably because it's a special release and it's a 17yr old bourbon

My how times have changed. Just 3yrs ago I was buying V17 for $52.

Also, I have heard, read, etc that is 17yrs old, but is it not NAS?

It's NAS on the bottle, but the Buffalo Trace press release said it was 17 years.

My how times have changed. Just 3yrs ago I was buying V17 for $52.

Also, I have heard, read, etc that is 17yrs old, but is it not NAS?

NAS on the bottle, but the press release said it was 17 years old.

I have a bottle, really like it, but $300 or $400 is ridiculous. I think the allure, for some at least, is just having the complete set. If you already have the OFSM and the Tornado, plus the more easily found SB, SmB, BP and Rye, well then you want the Cured Oak too. If you're a geeky completist (hey, I'm not judging), you might be willing to spend more than it's really worth.

Anyone else find it weird that they chose not to put an age statement on the bottle?

I'm guessing it’s because none of the others in the Taylor lineup had an age statement and they wanted to keep some sort of continuity between them all. Plus the things are put on the shelf in the tubes, and the age was written on them, so people would see that before the bottle itself.

Anyone else find it weird that they chose not to put an age statement on the bottle?/QUOTE]

I do find it to be a curiosity. There seems to be an interest in extra aged bourbons right now. And the sceptic in me says, if it doesn't say 17 yrs old, then it's not.

well, they don't put age statements on all of the BTAC, but through press releases, stat sheets and such they do tell you what the age is. My bottle of GTS doesn't have an age statement on it but I know it's a 16 year old.

Good point, and thanks for that. I forgot about the BTAC stat sheets

It does seem odd considering how attention grabbing a big 17 would be on the label. Focusing on the brand I suppose.

that's true, but honestly, they didn't need the age statement to help sell this bottle...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.