EH Taylor Cured Oak

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If every state gets 90ish bottles, I may have a chance up here in Green Bay......most likely at list price. Haven't seen it yet though.

I know it hit Madison on 3/27 and Milwaukee on 3/26. But as far as I can tell Mke only got a very very small allotment. I was able to find one bottle....$69.99

Just got back from one of my holes and snagged 2 of these (popping one tonight and the other for the bunker)...$65.99 ea... I would love to get the box they shipped them in....very cool.

Heard back from my "Guy" today.

He's been pleading with the distributors, but they have so far refused to let him have any Cured Oak.

He said Sazerac had a meeting with them, and wants everything allocated to Bars/Restaurants.

There were 32 cases sent to TX, 16 of them in the North Texas market.

Apparently Sazerac wants to try this out, and then may do the same with the next BTAC and PVW releases.

I'm doubly disappointed, as he told me I could have the wooden box if he got a case of Forged Oak... :smiley_acbt:

Heard back from my "Guy" today.

He's been pleading with the distributors, but they have so far refused to let him have any Cured Oak.

He said Sazerac had a meeting with them, and wants everything allocated to Bars/Restaurants.

There were 32 cases sent to TX, 16 of them in the North Texas market.

Apparently Sazerac wants to try this out, and then may do the same with the next BTAC and PVW releases.

If true that is definitely annoying. But people are getting some as noted here so it can't all be going on premise, at least in some states. If a distillery really did try hard to push all of it to on premise accounts and that could be verified as the company policy (which is probably nearly impossible) it would be a good reason for me to consider encouraging more of that by not buying any of their whiskey going forward from any source. Much as I like some of the BTAC bottles I can live without it.

If true that is definitely annoying. But people are getting some as noted here so it can't all be going on premise, at least in some states. If a distillery really did try hard to push all of it to on premise accounts and that could be verified as the company policy (which is probably nearly impossible) it would be a good reason for me to consider encouraging more of that by not buying any of their whiskey going forward from any source. Much as I like some of the BTAC bottles I can live without it.

From what he was saying, this was a meeting Saz had with Glazers. I don't know if they were wanting them to go On Premise in just Texas (odd considering the amount of Weller Products they push through here), or in all their states.

Anyone who's gotten a bottle, know if it came through Glazers?

It's not all the distributors in North Texas. The big liquor store chains are using all the allocated stuff to steal bar and restaurant business from each other. A manger admitted as much last November.

It's not all the distributors in North Texas. The big liquor store chains are using all the allocated stuff to steal bar and restaurant business from each other. A manger admitted as much last November.

Was told at Spec's Smith St. today that they are most likely only selling their allocation to wholesale customers. Shocking, I know.

From what he was saying, this was a meeting Saz had with Glazers. I don't know if they were wanting them to go On Premise in just Texas (odd considering the amount of Weller Products they push through here), or in all their states.

Anyone who's gotten a bottle, know if it came through Glazers?

Hey, neighbor. I heard from my guy today. I asked for 2 and a box, and he got me 1 and a box. Still a win (except for my wife). Not sure how many others he got. He's a big fish, but the level above him is being stingy. I believe it might be coming through Republic.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

So today, I was given a sample of Cured Oak. I just happened to be in NJ and stopped by a place I had been meaning to hit up.

Well, this place didn't disappoint. I had a chance to speak with the whisky manager, really nice guy. As we were talking, I asked about cured oak. He explained that he got a case and it is gone, how his distributor called and said he needed to take back the bottles but sorry, they're all gone. Surprised that a fairly large store like this only got 1 case. Anyway, he goes into the back room to bring me his card and comes back with this sample of cured oak.

So I poured half of it and gave it a whirl. Here are my thoughts but before I get to that, a few disclaimers:

1) The sample bottle sticker says Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit private barrel. He went out of this way to give me a sample which he didn't have to do to someone he has never seen before (1st time here). I wasn't about to start asking him, "Did you clean out the bottle before pouring in the cured oak?" so there is a possibility that this sample is tainted with some kentucky spirit.

2) My palate is untrained as I am fairly new to bourbon and whisk(e)y in general so that it for what it is.

ok, so a few things I noted. See picture, it's lighter than EC12 which is on the left. huh? I thought cured oak was 17 years old.

As soon as I got back into my car (picked up SAOS 7 yr from this place. Would have bought more but was with wife. This place had a ton of private barrel selections) I opened up the sample and nosed it. I said to myself, is this ETL? the nose of this so called "cured oak" has a striking resemblance to ETL.

So now as I type this, I have given it a few sips all I can say is wow, this is smooth for a 17 year old bourbon. On the palate, it is sweet! as for the finish, this is where I first start to pick up a little heat, but not much to be honest. Finish is somewhat long, finally getting hints or either leather or oak in the post finish if you will.

Well, all in all, a nice bourbon (doesn't taste like a 17 year old product at all as I really couldn't detect any oak until the finish). Not sure if I would go nuts trying to find a bottle. Certainly not paying secondary market prices for this.

Again, I have no reason to believe that the sample I was given was something other than cured oak. If it was so be it. I got played for a fool.

post-12100-14489822187217_thumb.jpg

post-12100-14489822187765_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnnybogey
update

Tried some tonight. When I nosed this, I thought it was ETL. Doesn't taste like a 17 year old bourbon, then again, this is my first ever "super" aged bourbon. I only picked up on oak in the finish.

Given the extremely limited release, I am not going out of my way to get a bottle. I've left my name at a few places that I shop regularly, If I get a call, great. If not, no big deal.

Tried some tonight. When I nosed this, I thought it was ETL. Doesn't taste like a 17 year old bourbon, then again, this is my first ever "super" aged bourbon. I only picked up on oak in the finish.

Given the extremely limited release, I am not going out of my way to get a bottle. I've left my name at a few places that I shop regularly, If I get a call, great. If not, no big deal.

But you were not certain you actually had the cured oak, right? (Thought I read it came out of a bottle marked Kentucky Spirit, etc.)

But you were not certain you actually had the cured oak, right? (Thought I read it came out of a bottle marked Kentucky Spirit, etc.)

Bbb, yea. the store manager gave it to me in a bottle with a wild turkey Kentucky spirit label on it. Looked like he put his own label on it and wrote cured oak on it. I have no reason to believe that he was pulling my leg and gave me something other than cured oak. This store was in NJ which already received its allocation.

Bbb, yea. the store manager gave it to me in a bottle with a wild turkey Kentucky spirit label on it. Looked like he put his own label on it and wrote cured oak on it. I have no reason to believe that he was pulling my leg and gave me something other than cured oak. This store was in NJ which already received its allocation.

What the what!?! This makes zero sense. Why would he do that?

Popped my bottle last night, and I must say this hits me just right, great nose, smooth going down and nice finish, you can tell it has age. I like it.

BTW, thought I would just post this in here as a lot of people into CEHT may be looking at this thread, I need some help, I'm looking for pictures of the labels from CEHT SmB , BP, and the straight rye, but they have to be flat pictures like the ones on the ttb website. When I say flat I mean I need the pic of the entire label with the tabs on the side, if anyone has a empty that they are are tossing, please try to get the label off and send me pic. I need it (just the pic preferably high res.)for my 50 ml. collection, these are the only ones I cant find.Thanks!

Edited by dSculptor

I think its a great idea. Lets say its an LE and would never hit the shelf, this way several customers that would otherwise never even see it can try it and while the LE may not be available others from the line are very likely on the shelf. The curiosity issue of "how wonderful IS that unicorn LE?" is settled and if the tasting was a positive experience for the customer they will very likely purchase a bottle from the line that IS available. The store establishes a relationship and a customer explores a brand/line they may not have previously considered, in short a win-win.

It would be a cool store to support if it turns out to have been a legit sample, johnnybogey. I hope you get a chance to try some from a bottle you see opened and remember the first well enough to know.

I spoke yesterday with an associate at one of my local stores that seems to get more limited BT products than others. He said he thought they were getting "that new EH Taylor" and I got excited. I asked him to put me down on the list to reserve a bottle if it comes in and I watched him write my info down. He said one other person has asked too, so hopefully they will get some and remember to set aside a bottle and call me. I've gotten a call from them before when ETL was back in stock, so I know their "notification system" works.

Heck, even if it's not Cured Oak and another case of Barrel Proof, I'll still be happy.

Jason

SC's has come and gone according to a store I frequent there. According to a county board manager who called the warehouse in Raleigh for me everything that came to NC was allocated to the county boards in March and no more is available. I called several counties and struck out in each.....

Just got back from one of my holes and snagged 2 of these (popping one tonight and the other for the bunker)...$65.99 ea... I would love to get the box they shipped them in....very cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.