EH Taylor Cured Oak

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm wonder if Forged Oak was leftover bourbon from the Experimental Collection? It would seem like Buffalo Trace made the right move in moving it under the E.H Taylor line since the Experimental Collection seems to be greeted with a yawn. Then again, the high price for a 375 will do that too.

This showed up on the websites for our local Total Wines yesterday as already being sold out. I would have needed to be stalking the stores for the past couple weeks and waiting in lines in the morning in hopes of getting one right as the store doors opened. I'm still burned out from doing that in the fall for BTAC so I didn't have it in me. I'm actually not upset about missing out. I have a lot of good stuff in the bunker that will satisfy me for years to come.

I'm wonder if Forged Oak was leftover bourbon from the Experimental Collection? It would seem like Buffalo Trace made the right move in moving it under the E.H Taylor line since the Experimental Collection seems to be greeted with a yawn. Then again, the high price for a 375 will do that too.

That has been my thought all along. When I get around to opening this I will do it compared with the 15yo BTEC Extended Stave bottle which I suspect is the same whiskey but 2 years younger.

That has been my thought all along. When I get around to opening this I will do it compared with the 15yo BTEC Extended Stave bottle which I suspect is the same whiskey but 2 years younger.
That's the general consensus around teh webz. If so, I think you'll enjoy both quite a bit. Especially if you didn't have to try very hard to get them.

That's the general consensus around teh webz. If so, I think you'll enjoy both quite a bit. Especially if you didn't have to try very hard to get them.

Wasn't that the goal of the BTEC? To get feedback on a bunch of experiments and bottle the most well-received ones?

Wasn't that the goal of the BTEC? To get feedback on a bunch of experiments and bottle the most well-received ones?

Indeed. Works just fine for me. Good bourbon. Fair price. Only problem is the limited number of bottles.

• 2 weeks later...
According to the OLCC site there's still some available in Portland. $74

They can be slow to update their website. Chances are it's all gone.

Good tip-off. Here's hoping someone here gets one.

I was at my favorite store last week, which happens to be in Eugene. The owner told me he was going to try to get some, and, if successful, did I want one.

I replied, "Well...I suppose...hadn't really thought about it...but don't worry about it if you don't."

Having gone through 17 months of hell (5/13 - 10/14, unemployment, near dissolution of my marriage) has really altered my perspective. Whether or not I can get some overpriced bottle of whiskey seems utterly trivial, and nothing about which to stress out.

Reality of life does put something like our hobby in perspective.

Hope your current situation has improved.

I got lucky and ran across a bottle of this while shopping for something else. It was just sitting there on the shelf.

I am conflicted on whether to open it or trade it. I am a little new to the rare bourbon game so I haven't had anything like this in my possession before. But it seems like this bottle is hyped mostly because it is so rare, not because it is so good (though the reviews are positive). I'd love a bottle of GTS or WLW, or, of course, a Pappy 15/20. I'm not even sure those are options, however.

If you had a bottle, would you open it or trade it? If you decided to trade it, what do you think a comparable return would be?

I got lucky and ran across a bottle of this while shopping for something else. It was just sitting there on the shelf.

I am conflicted on whether to open it or trade it. I am a little new to the rare bourbon game so I haven't had anything like this in my possession before. But it seems like this bottle is hyped mostly because it is so rare, not because it is so good (though the reviews are positive). I'd love a bottle of GTS or WLW, or, of course, a Pappy 15/20. I'm not even sure those are options, however.

If you had a bottle, would you open it or trade it? If you decided to trade it, what do you think a comparable return would be?

Here's an idea, if you don't want to drink it, don't fucking buy it. This isn't a trading website. The "rare bourbon game"... :hot:

A 375 of Southern Comfort.
Very generous. Southern Comfort is a classic.

But it seems like this bottle is hyped mostly because it is so rare, not because it is so good (though the reviews are positive).

What reviews? I went a few pages back in this thread and all I saw was one post calling it "not bad." $74 is too much for "not bad."

Here's an idea, if you don't want to drink it, don't fucking buy it. This isn't a trading website. The "rare bourbon game"... :hot:

Ouch. I thought trading wasn't looked down on and "flipping" for cash was the problem. Guess not.

I'm a shelf shopper so I was just surprised to see it at my local store, that's all. I bought it with the intent to drink it (I really like the other Taylors), but figured I'd rather have a bottle of GTS or WLW, which I can only get a taste of at a bar for an absurd price.

I withdraw my question above.

Edited by CABourbon

What reviews? I went a few pages back in this thread and all I saw was one post calling it "not bad." $74 is too much for "not bad."

I agree. I didn't read many reviews prior to picking it up. This guy panned it: http://signdedrinks.blogspot.com/2015/04/review-85-colonel-eh-taylor-cured-oak.html. And the guy that runs the bourbontruth blog hates it: https://twitter.com/Bourbontruth/status/586936431110569984.

But there are some positive ones out there too: https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/30iphl/review_6_colonel_eh_taylor_cured_oak/.

It's probably a matter of whether you like older bourbon.

Edited by CABourbon

Yeah, I saw the one on Reddit. 8.5/10 is too low for $74.

I'm thinking more and more if my guy at the local store gets one, I'll tell him to let someone else have it.

that first review is mine, signde drinks is my blog.

i'm not crazy about the cured oak because i don't care for older funky bourbons and it has a lot of funk to it. i think a good litmus test is if you like ER17 you will like cured oak. i think it's better than ER17 but i don't think very highly of ER17 at all.

Ouch. I thought trading wasn't looked down on and "flipping" for cash was the problem. Guess not.

It's a site of people who want to find and buy the bourbon they want to drink. And most of us are having a hard time these days because people who don't want or plan to drink the bottles we want are buying them instead.

You know how you feel about not being able to find a bottle of GTS or WLW? You just made someone who wanted to drink a bottle of Cured Oak feel that way.

Don't take it hard, I'm just adding to the explanation of the reaction.

Some of us will trade now and again, but we don't buy something we weren't sure about drinking with the express intention to use it as trade bait. In the rare case I make a trade, I'm offering a bottle I was going to drink (and will miss) for another one I'm going to drink.

I'm sure it isn't the only place in Dallas to get a sip, but I had a pour at Parliament. It was as expected. No one should feel bad they missed out.

I'm a shelf shopper so I was just surprised to see it at my local store, that's all. I bought it with the intent to drink it (I really like the other Taylors), but figured I'd rather have a bottle of GTS or WLW, which I can only get a taste of at a bar for an absurd price.

I withdraw my question above.

Trading, selling, etc are prohibited in the SB forums.

My question to you is this: You have been a member of SB since February and I can only assume that you have taken time to read the forums since then. Have you noticed that there are no posts soliciting trades here? That should be a huge hint that it's not permitted.

It's a site of people who want to find and buy the bourbon they want to drink. And most of us are having a hard time these days because people who don't want or plan to drink the bottles we want are buying them instead.

You know how you feel about not being able to find a bottle of GTS or WLW? You just made someone who wanted to drink a bottle of Cured Oak feel that way.

Don't take it hard, I'm just adding to the explanation of the reaction.

Some of us will trade now and again, but we don't buy something we weren't sure about drinking with the express intention to use it as trade bait. In the rare case I make a trade, I'm offering a bottle I was going to drink (and will miss) for another one I'm going to drink.

Trading, selling, etc are prohibited in the SB forums.

My question to you is this: You have been a member of SB since February and I can only assume that you have taken time to read the forums since then. Have you noticed that there are no posts soliciting trades here? That should be a huge hint that it's not permitted.

Edited by CABourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.