EH Taylor Cured Oak

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am not in Houston, but I was definitely lied to (about this one in my area). You have to think long and hard before giving more of your business to people who do that.

Yeah, I dunno if he's lying or not. I'm gonna check with another store to see if can get any corroboration.

It's looking like this stuff is going to be rarer than hen's teeth. If the reports are correct, there are 4,266 bottles - that's it, one time offering. Anyone who already has a CEHT collection is going to want one. The reviews are uniformly positive, and while retail is in the premium pricing range, it's less than $100 and therefore the price won't scare off a lot of folks. It doesn't have Pappy level hype, so I suspect a good number of bottles are just getting put out on the shelf, and consequently there are people in the know who are just scooping up 3 or 6 of them (if a store is big enough to get that many) at once. Consequently, there will be far less than 4,266 bourbon enthusiasts who end up with this bottle. Good luck.

While I appreciated the Reddit post we are getting much of our info from, has there been any confirmation that BT truly bottled only 4200? Single source info is getting spread across many sites, and I am trying to discern fact from best guess. BTAC level hype and 2nd market pricing have blown up overnight for a product that was seemingly under the radar for many just 6 weeks ago.

I have no idea if that number is right, but I've seen no evidence that it's wrong. We're seeing posts suggesting entire states are getting 90 bottles. I know it showed up where I live last Friday, and talked to people in the know at two separate high volume stores that supposedly only got 3 bottles each. I hit a number of "usual suspect" stores Friday evening and Saturday and found nothing. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but clearly the stores aren't drowning in the stuff. And I can almost always find the CEHT small batch, single barrel and rye here, plus the much more occasional bottle of barrel proof, so it's hardly like it's an unknown product in these parts.

I have no idea if that number is right, but I've seen no evidence that it's wrong. We're seeing posts suggesting entire states are getting 90 bottles. I know it showed up where I live last Friday, and talked to people in the know at two separate high volume stores that supposedly only got 3 bottles each. I hit a number of "usual suspect" stores Friday evening and Saturday and found nothing. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but clearly the stores aren't drowning in the stuff. And I can almost always find the CEHT small batch, single barrel and rye here, plus the much more occasional bottle of barrel proof, so it's hardly like it's an unknown product in these parts.

I agree. I hope that single source was wrong but all indications lead me to believe that it is accurate. I've called two retailers in NJ (because I know they've received their allocation, Bayway World of Liquors and Super Buy Rite Jersey City). Bayway got 6 bottles, 3 taken back (see post above) and Super Buy Rite got 2 bottles. These are big volume stores. If they are getting only 3-6 bottles, have to believe the smaller retailers are getting none due to limited supply.

No link....I follow a couple of the secondary market pages, trying to find a bottle of Angels Envy Cask Strength.....and someone posted a bottle of cured oak....3rd post was a guy offering 300 for it. :( it's rather sad....it feeds the cycle. I don't mind a guy making a little cash for his time in tracking down a bottle. But 5 tines msrp is nuts.

Not sure if it is as rare as rumored to be, but they certainly did not know in 1998 that the market would be going bonkers now. And it stands to reason they would only have performed this experiment (extra long curing) with a limited number of barrels. 4,200 or so would equate to about 20 barrels, which seems quite plausible.

I bet $300 is low-side on the secondary. Saw a guy ready to trade a PVW15 or WLW for it. Believe you me I'm interested in the cured oak but even I only had/could get one bottle of it it'd be out the door immediately for a WLW.

Well, either I will find one at retail, or I'll miss it.

For me, this one's like Tornado - drives collectors and flippers wild, and I don't lose a wink of sleep over not having one.

The good news is it's tasty. The bad news is I suspect too low a percentage of them will get tasted. I suppose in the fullness of time, though, they'll all get drank. Nobody takes it with 'em.

Not sure if it is as rare as rumored to be

I'm skeptical about the low numbers quoted - then I see all these guys posting pics of cases...

Who knows? Didn't BT say they wanted CEHT to be the non-wheated Pappy? Looks like it's working.

Hey, how come we didn't seem to know this one was coming until (relatively) the last minute? It was like one of those asteroids that sneaks up on us while we're watching other more distant rocks--but I would have thought our early bourbon detection system was better.

Hey, how come we didn't seem to know this one was coming until (relatively) the last minute? It was like one of those asteroids that sneaks up on us while we're watching other more distant rocks--but I would have thought our early bourbon detection system was better.

BT announced that these two were coming out a long time ago. Yes there is another one coming right behind this one. I don't know their time table.

It's looking like this stuff is going to be rarer than hen's teeth. If the reports are correct, there are 4,266 bottles - that's it, one time offering.

I'd love to have one to round out the series, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Again, looking back it's amazing how times have changed. While the price point isn't he same, I think of it like the Rittenhouse 21/23/25 yr that each had about 3000 bottles

Sat on the shelves for years, and years. My how times have changed.

B

BT announced that these two were coming out a long time ago. Yes there is another one coming right behind this one. I don't know their time table.
Based on that reddit AMA thing, looks like the other release is going to wait until next year. I am cool with BT spacing out these LE CEHTs, maybe even continue releasing them opposite the fall release.

I believe the next one is a wheater called Seasoned Wood.
I think they need to rename the LE EHTs "BTEC Leftovers." Not that I have a problem with it. Bourbon's gotta go somewhere. Actually kind of neat, because it gives us an idea of what they'll taste like.

I believe the next one is a wheater called Seasoned Wood.

Oops, you're right. I'd said Seasoned Oak earlier. Sorry!!

Well now I am really regretting leaving 3 bottles on the shelf.

Heard they had a problem with NJ filings and had to pull back inventory to the distributor. The calls I made sounded like the demand was every bit as bad as the Van Winkles. With a proven craziness to demand, when they clear their state issues, the remaining NJ stock might not reappear on shelves like you found your bottles but rather sprinkled among large buyers and lottery's.

I bet $300 is low-side on the secondary. Saw a guy ready to trade a PVW15 or WLW for it. Believe you me I'm interested in the cured oak but even I only had/could get one bottle of it it'd be out the door immediately for a WLW.

That's just another sign of how ridiculous it's become, and a sign of how ravenously hungry the "collectors" are for some action to feed their habits, that some are willing to trade a WLW or PVW15 for something they know so little about.

Heard they had a problem with NJ filings and had to pull back inventory to the distributor. The calls I made sounded like the demand was every bit as bad as the Van Winkles. With a proven craziness to demand, when they clear their state issues, the remaining NJ stock might not reappear on shelves like you found your bottles but rather sprinkled among large buyers and lottery's.

El Vino, confirmed (see post #72). Bayway told me his 3 bottles are coming back on May 1st. Also said his waiting list was 400 deep. My Goodness.

What was the price, just out of curiosity?

They were retail, but I bought 2, and left 3.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.