Sazerac to release 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon - 8 Year Age Statement?

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The old thread discussing the planned release of the 1792 line of bourbons from Sazerac/Barton Distillery has been closed, so I started this thread. The Bourbon Review posted on their facebook page this morning that Sazerac is set to release the 1792 Sweet Wheat bourbon this summer, with an MSRP of $32.99. What caught my eye is that BR is saying this will be an 8 year old bourbon. Right between the ages of MM and W12. I am getting really interested in this one, if the age statement is true. I haven't been able to find any corroborating reports about the age statement. Anyone with any connections, please let us know what you find out!

https://www.facebook.com/thebourbonreview?fref=nf

It is a pretty looking bottle for sure. I hope we see it up here.

You & me, both Fozzy. ...Along with lotsa folx, I'm guessing. Barton is pretty careful with what they put in their bottles... at least up to now. I've yet to taste anything from them that I didn't think was well-done.

If the 8-year-age rumor holds true, this should be some mighty fine Bourbon. I'm really hoping The Mitten State is on the distribution list. If not, I'll try to score it this fall in KY.

Boy, really looking forward to this one...I like the regular 1793, but a Sweet Wheat edition of this will be nice...

I hope to see this in stores. Are there any tasting notes out there? Also, is this a regular new product or a one off experiment?

I hope to see this in stores. Are there any tasting notes out there? Also, is this a regular new product or a one off experiment?

The newly revamped 1792 is apparently the regular version of this new line. What used to be Ridgemont Reserve is now called 1792 Small Batch.

The Sweet Wheat is a "limited expression" in the 1792 line according to the Barton website. How limited remains to be seen I suppose.

I get the impression the new 1792 lineup is in the same vein as the CEHT line but a bit less expensive. Other things are supposed to follow to include a "High Rye" (which seems a bit odd since the Barton website describes the regular small batch as having a "high rye" recipe), Barrel Proof and a Single Barrel.

Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

This is the TTB label approval for the "Sweet Wheat". No age statement here, and no additional labels were approved, so as far as I can tell this is still NAS:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=14064001000038

They also filed a label for a Port Finish 1792 a couple weeks ago:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15119001000484

In the press release they didn't call it limited and they did call it eight years old, although they didn't say if the bottle will be age-stated. Is the new bottle for the regular 1792 still age stated? No comment about distribution so I assume it will be available wherever the regular 1792 is, but give it a few weeks, maybe longer. For release date they just said 'this summer.'

In the press release they didn't call it limited and they did call it eight years old, although they didn't say if the bottle will be age-stated. Is the new bottle for the regular 1792 still age stated? No comment about distribution so I assume it will be available wherever the regular 1792 is, but give it a few weeks, maybe longer. For release date they just said 'this summer.'
The new bottle is not age stated for the regular small batch

The new bottle is not age stated for the regular small batch

The old bottle hasn't been for a couple years either.

Im definitely interested in this bottling. I have come around to enjoying Wheaters as of late.

Yep, any wheater close to 8 years is interesting. Coming from Barton is a bonus. I did win a board game tonight where a trivia question was to name the state that became a state in 1792. I told my opponents that once again bourbon rules the day as 1792 is a bourbon that refers to the year that the Commonwealth of Kentucky became a state.

It just occurred to me that if this whiskey is 8 years old, it was probably distilled by Greg Davis, who was Barton's master distiller after Bill Friel retired. Greg Davis is currently Maker's Mark's master distiller. Maybe he really likes wheated bourbon?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14860-Barton-Tom-Moore&p=222625&viewfull=1#post222625

I had the chance to sample the Barton wheater in 2010 and it was reportedly 4 yo at the time. Assuming it's the same juice, eight years od would be about rght.

Thanks for sharing John. I agree this makes this release even more exciting!

Ohhhhh, I had forgotten about John's tasting of the 4yr wheater. If it's the same stuff it will be in the 8yr range. I do tend to be a sucker for the wheaters so I will definitely pick up one of these. However, if it ends up being one that needs to be chased, forget it, I'll let the flippers knock themselves out.

I can't believe that this one would be chased, let alone noticed.

Then again, when IW Harper (the standard offering) went online in PA, 100 bottles sold in 5 minutes! :slappin:

So, I guess I couldn't be surprised if this becomes a victim as well. I am just hoping that it isn't as limited, but you never know with what the reviewers will say and what the hype machine might bring.

I can't believe that this one would be chased, let alone noticed.

Then again, when IW Harper (the standard offering) went online in PA, 100 bottles sold in 5 minutes! :slappin:

So, I guess I couldn't be surprised if this becomes a victim as well. I am just hoping that it isn't as limited, but you never know with what the reviewers will say and what the hype machine might bring.

I'm pretty sure it will be chased. It's a wheater so it will surely be hyped as "the next best thing to Pappy" by someone.

I'm pretty sure it will be chased. It's a wheater so it will surely be hyped as "the next best thing to Pappy" by someone.

The Caskers copy is already written. Just need to drop in that 95ish point spirits competition score and it's ready to go.

I doubt that but I could see making the connection to Barton being owned by Sazerac, who in turn make Weller and Pappy and that this is pretty much the same thing...although it isn't.

The Caskers copy is already written. Just need to drop in that 95ish point spirits competition score and it's ready to go.

Ha!! That's exactly who I was thinking of!

I doubt that but I could see making the connection to Barton being owned by Sazerac, who in turn make Weller and Pappy and that this is pretty much the same thing...although it isn't.

The fact that it isn't the same doesn't stop those who benefit from the hype.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.