Sazerac to release 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon - 8 Year Age Statement?

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two stores in SC today said they received it two weeks ago and both only got 3 each.

This is one that I'm really interested in trying, but what I'm reading so far about the release is a carbon copy of limited edition releases with stores only getting a few bottles, etc. which means that if I really want one I'm going to have to stalk my local like it's BTAC season. This turns me off so I'm officially uninterested unless I get lucky and see it on a shelf. I'm not going to wait outside the front door of the store until they open for this.

.........This turns me off so I'm officially uninterested unless I get lucky and see it on a shelf. ........

Precisely. If this qualifies these days for a "scramble item", then I wish the hunters all the thrill that the hunt may bring 'em.

When I see one sitting patiently on a shelf for a good price, I'll buy one. If not, my glass will not go empty.

I've seen quite a bit of this around here. Has it actually been stated anywhere as a "limited" release? Apologies if I missed that in the release.

I've seen quite a bit of this around here. Has it actually been stated anywhere as a "limited" release? Apologies if I missed that in the release.

Says right on their website that it's a "Limited Edition Expression".

As we've seen with other LE's, some markets get a lot and some don't.

I think it is a nice bottle but nothing worth really hunting for. I feel like it is on par with OWA and Larceny.

So I sipped this twice over the weekend...and my overall impression is good but 'meh'. Not bad...not amazing.

First try was in a glencairn after letting it sit for a few minutes, a few sniffs, swirls, and tastes without water. It's a good smooth pour, i just don't get the 'sweet' part of it- which is what had me most excited.

I will say though that this 'sweet wheat' opens up nicely with some water. Two fingers or so in an old fashioned glass with two standard fridge ice cubes from the automatic dispenser makes it a good 'drink' rather than something to 'sip' from a glencairn.

Would I buy it again? Probably not...then again I'm not a huge 1792 fan. it's nice to finally have something from 1792 in the collection, though!

What's really strange in Columbia is that some of the smaller stores got 2-3 bottles but none of the 4 large stores got any...At least not yet.

I think it is a nice bottle but nothing worth really hunting for. I feel like it is on par with OWA and Larceny.

About the only reason I wanted to acquire one is to see how it stands up to other available wheaters like Larceny, MM and Weller in a blind tasting. But the whole limited availability nonsense has pretty much turned me off and unless I find it by chance as I am just not going to chase it or pay any premium for it. Indeed, I had a bottle available to me but didn't want to bother to battle traffic to go across town to get it. Now that I haven't been able to find one nearby the one across town is of course gone as well.

I had a bottle available to me but didn't want to bother to battle traffic to go across town to get it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on any "Limited" bottle of whisky.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on any "Limited" bottle of whisky.

Well, thanks to a very helpful tip from a fellow SBer who was sympathetic to my plight I managed to find one today at a store just down the road. A pleasant but welcome surprise that is likely to make an appearance at a Wednesday tasting in the very near future. Still debating which three challengers I am going to put it up against!

Larceny for sure, and MM as well (probably regular strength). That leaves one of the Weller boys as the final challenger. Either WSR or perhaps OWA with a touch of water to help match the proof more closely.

Picked up two bottles in Lexington, SC. A little pricey at $40/bottle. It appears every store around here that got any got 2 bottles. I'll try tonight.

Larceny for sure, and MM as well (probably regular strength). That leaves one of the Weller boys as the final challenger. Either WSR or perhaps OWA with a touch of water to help match the proof more closely.

Why not Weller 12? Seems like that would be the closest competitor of the Weller bunch. Not available out there?

Why not Weller 12? Seems like that would be the closest competitor of the Weller bunch. Not available out there?

I have it. It would be probably 4-6 years older than the others except maybe Larceny which is a blend of several ages including probably around 12yo if I had to guess. I won't rule Weller 12 out but likely to be significantly older than MM or the Barton and the only one with an age statement. Still that might be a good one to throw in the mix to see if it stands out.

Decisions, decisions.

I have it. It would be probably 4-6 years older than the others except maybe Larceny which is a blend of several ages including probably around 12yo if I had to guess. I won't rule Weller 12 out but likely to be significantly older than MM or the Barton and the only one with an age statement.

True. I guess WSR would be the closest in proof AND age but to me the quality of Weller 12 is the closest to the competitors. Yet another option is the old SB Blend. More decisions decisions! Sounds like a fun tasting, though.

My initial impressions of this are that it is good and is worth the $35. Without doing a side by side and just going off of memory, the profile is quite different than the other wheaters out there which are readily available. I wouldn't break my back trying to get it but I like it. I've only had 1 pour so we'll see how it opens up.

My initial impressions of this are that it is good and is worth the $35. Without doing a side by side and just going off of memory, the profile is quite different than the other wheaters out there which are readily available. I wouldn't break my back trying to get it but I like it. I've only had 1 pour so we'll see how it opens up.

Just tried it yesterday in a SBS with MM, Larceny and W12. I found it to be good but pretty similar to the others and as long as you can get Larceny at less than $25 on practically any shelf in the US it will likely remain my first choice for a standard wheater. Heck, you almost get a 1.75 of Larceny for $35!

Just tried it yesterday in a SBS with MM, Larceny and W12. I found it to be good but pretty similar to the others and as long as you can get Larceny at less than $25 on practically any shelf in the US

As long as you don't live in MI.

it will likely remain my first choice for a standard wheater. Heck, you almost get a 1.75 of Larceny for $35!

That is what I paid for the 4 handles of Larceny I bought in IN.

Did a SBS last night with:

VSOF

ORVW 12 year 107 squat bottle

WSR 7 year

WSR NAS

OWA 7 year

OWA NAS

WLW 12 year

MM

Don't remember what I thought.....just kidding

While I think it is decent, I don't think it is worth the premium considering it is going for around $40 around here and except for ORVW, the rest go for less than $30. At around $25 I would consider keeping it in stock.

I will add, I took a bottle to River Rat Brewery to share with the brewers etc., and it was very well received.

picked it up for $40 around here, I don't think I'd pay much more than that. It smells great, a nice sweet smell. The taste was a bit hot, not exactly what I was expecting from it, but I'll let it breathe for a bit before I pass any judgment on it. I'm not good at tasting notes so I can't explain that part of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.