Sazerac to release 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon - 8 Year Age Statement?

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had this bottle in my hand the other day and put it back on the shelf. I wish I had gotten it now.

Where did you see it?

Where did you see it?

Ain't that the question!

I am new to this and I am on the hunt constantly. If you checked my credit card receipts, you would think that I have a problem. Buying multiple bottles all over Louisiana and Texas every where from 9AM-11PM. I don't actually remember where I saw it. I also remember seeing a EHT cured oak for $79.99 before I knew what I was looking at. Going back on another hunting round this week to try and find some of these that I have since learned were buyers.

Just tried it yesterday in a SBS with MM, Larceny and W12. I found it to be good but pretty similar to the others and as long as you can get Larceny at less than $25 on practically any shelf in the US it will likely remain my first choice for a standard wheater. Heck, you almost get a 1.75 of Larceny for $35!

I am with you Bruce. Larceny is tough to beat. Sure, I like WL12 and OWA but they have become a lot more difficult to find. Not much of a regular MM fan. I can generally find Larceny cheaper than MM46 which is good since I prefer Larceny. I view MMCS at a different tier than those already mentioned.

I will certainly buy a 1792 Sweet Wheat if I see one on the shelf for a reasonable price. Just to try it and share with others so they can try it. If I really like it, then great. If not, then I already have readily available options. My expectations may be a little lower than others since I am not really a fan of the regular 1792. It is ok but there are too many other bourbons I prefer in the same price range.

I am with you Bruce. Larceny is tough to beat. Sure, I like WL12 and OWA but they have become a lot more difficult to find. Not much of a regular MM fan. I can generally find Larceny cheaper than MM46 which is good since I prefer Larceny....

I couldn't agree more. We can't get Larceny here in MI but I got 4 handles of it in IN on my trip for $35 each and 3 x MM46 on sale for $20 ea (the MM46 are $40 in MI). The MM46 is nice but I think I like Larceny better than pretty much any other wheater. I am going to try and ration these 4 handles til next summer then make another trip to IN to restock but I am not sure if they will make it as the first handle is 3/4 or more empty.

Haven't seen on in SA yet.

I know where it lives in SA. PM for location if interested.

My local store got this in and he recommended that I pass on it - not worth the money. I trust his pallet so took his advice and picked up a store select SMOS10

I will be traveling to Kentucky next month by way of Cincinnati and Louisville. Final destination is Bradstown. If anyone knows where I could get a bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat, please let me know. Thanks

Cracked open my bottle last night. The nose is distinctively consistent with a wheated bourbon. It's very easy drinking. Nice flavors. To me, there is a lot of similarity to the last bottle of 1792 store select that I had. I get somewhat of a cherry note in both.

The nose is distinctively consistent with a wheated bourbon. It's very easy drinking. Nice flavors.

Agree with your sentiment. I think a few years ago I would've scoffed at paying $38 for this, but nowadays it's seems this is the range that EC12, ETL, EWSB used to be in the low to mid $20s. I also didn't have to run to the store and bat away 10 people trying to buy the whole case to get a bottle.

Just tried it yesterday in a SBS with MM, Larceny and W12. I found it to be good but pretty similar to the others and as long as you can get Larceny at less than $25 on practically any shelf in the US it will likely remain my first choice for a standard wheater. Heck, you almost get a 1.75 of Larceny for $35!

When I tried it, it reminded me of W12, but that was after sampling some non-wheaters. I need to replicate this tasting to see where I rank it, but going off memory I'd probably put Larceny ahead of it, and W12 ahead of both.

When I tried it, it reminded me of W12, but that was after sampling some non-wheaters. I need to replicate this tasting to see where I rank it, but going off memory I'd probably put Larceny ahead of it, and W12 ahead of both.

It's funny how palates are different. To me, it tasted nothing like W12. To me, it tasted more like the standard 1792 with a wheated nose and a wheated smoothness.

It's funny how palates are different. To me, it tasted nothing like W12. To me, it tasted more like the standard 1792 with a wheated nose and a wheated smoothness.

I need to pick up a bottle of the standard 1792, for some reason it's one I've never tried.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a special order of two (2) 750s of 1792 SW today (Virginia ABC has it @ $37.90 plus tax via special order - it was definitely worth the wait and the price). I have two (2) complaints: (1) the natural, oversized (think OGD 114) cork is too easy to pull out. Not only do I worry about spillage if I knock the Jefferson-style (in Frankenwein-speak, we'd call it "Bocksbeutel") bottle over because it seems to be so loose, (2) it is WAY too easy to pull out to refill a glass, leading inevitably to my wife asking, "Were you drinking while you were doing yard work?". My honest answer was, "No." Because I did no yard work. I just sat out there on the grass. Sipping. In the sun. For a 91+ proof, this one is, in my not so humble opinion, too smooth for amateurs to handle. PLEASE - leave it to us professionals.

There is a silver lining: because it is a pretty good wheater (sorry, Joe, I should have written "wheated"), and because I can't get Weller12 locally, I CAN use this as a substitute for WLW12 in the "SB blend" and FINALLY after all these years come close to tasting what you all rave about.

Well shoot Harry, now you make me want to go out and find one. I had decided that this wasn't worth the hype (not that there's much on these pages). It's the limitedness of it and the "got to get it because it's a wheater" factor that's made it harder to find and easier to be annoyed by so I'd decided, "harumph!" Don't need it. And I was content.

Darn you Harry!

I had half a pour at a bar recently and it was my first time trying it. I hope they release more at some point. I really enjoyed it and would rank it above others in its class - MM, Larceny and WSR.

Well shoot Harry, now you make me want to go out and find one. I had decided that this wasn't worth the hype (not that there's much on these pages). It's the limitedness of it and the "got to get it because it's a wheater" factor that's made it harder to find and easier to be annoyed by so I'd decided, "harumph!" Don't need it. And I was content.

Darn you Harry!

I aim to please. AND, my wife asked me why I had put it in the trash can next to my chair. Honest answer: "Because I put the Abe Bowman high rye back on the shelf, and I limit myself to one bottle per trash can.":cool:

Been wanting to give this a try, but it's been impossible to find in KY (at least for me...)

Gave the folks at the Barton KBF tent a (polite) piece of my mind about the virtual non-release/unavailability in the L-ville area - they claimed it would be a regular release, but not holding my breath.

Also said the "new" Small Batch was still 8 year like the "old" 1792RR - apparently they forgot the "8 year" bit on my current 750...

Been wanting to give this a try, but it's been impossible to find in KY (at least for me...)

Gave the folks at the Barton KBF tent a (polite) piece of my mind about the virtual non-release/unavailability in the L-ville area - they claimed it would be a regular release, but not holding my breath.

Also said the "new" Small Batch was still 8 year like the "old" 1792RR - apparently they forgot the "8 year" bit on my current 750...

Especially funny since they removed the age statement before they overhauled the labels. They claim that VOB "-6-" is still 6 years old, too.

VOB could very well still be 6 years old. It's just now that can change at any time.

I have not seen any of the Sweet Wheat, but plenty of the new label 1792 on shelves.

VOB could very well still be 6 years old. It's just now that can change at any time.

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day when I purchased a VOBBIB. Given the law of BIBs being 1 distillery season the VOBBIB must either be a 6 year, 5 year or 4 year, right? It can't be mostly 6 with a little bit of 7 mixed in to maintain the profile. I guess there is more latitude with the other expressions, but seems like the BIB would be more noticeable if they made a switch. Probably not to my palate, but more experienced palates.

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day when I purchased a VOBBIB. Given the law of BIBs being 1 distillery season the VOBBIB must either be a 6 year, 5 year or 4 year, right? It can't be mostly 6 with a little bit of 7 mixed in to maintain the profile. I guess there is more latitude with the other expressions, but seems like the BIB would be more noticeable if they made a switch. Probably not to my palate, but more experienced palates.

Well, if they slowly dialed it back to 5 years and 11 months, then 5 years and 10 months, etc. I could see it being a more gradual transition that regular drinkers might not easily notice. It depends on how hard they're trying to maintain the profile, I guess.

Well, if it has to be done during one "season" in a calendar year, I think there's only a six month window for adjusting the barrel mix if they want to call it "bonded". I think. Could this be more like the Eagle Rare issue of - since we continuously distill, we don't really have a way to stop "a" from mixing with a little bit of "b" when we are switching around"? One of the very recent 4R threads (or a link to an article) mentioned this - that two of the 10 recipes MIGHT get commingled a little when switching from one recipe to another. If I'm wrong, do not hesitate to correct me. I'm too old to take personal offense and, even if I do, too old to do anything about it.

Well, if they slowly dialed it back to 5 years and 11 months, then 5 years and 10 months, etc. I could see it being a more gradual transition that regular drinkers might not easily notice. It depends on how hard they're trying to maintain the profile, I guess.

Good point. I forgot there are 12 months in a year.:lol:

Traditionally there were two seasons in a year but were not limited to a calendar year. Whisky was a seasonal agricultural product for practical reasons, the summer months were too hot to use the mash tubs (heat killed the yeast) and the distillery employees were busy tending their own farms during that time. After crops were gathered distilling picked back up in the Fall so a "distilling season" was Fall through Spring in two different calendar years.

Major producers like Heaven Hill still shut down during high Summer for annual maintenance so their distilling season still includes parts of two calendar years. I recall Jimmy Russell stating in an interview some years back that Wild Turkey would stop distilling during high summer because the waters of the Kentucky river grew too warm to cool the mash tubs.

With distilleries running at capacity to meet demand I don't know exactly how a season is determined now, but BIB was originally intended as a statement of provenance which assured the whisky was the product of a single distillery made during a defined period of time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.