Sazerac to release 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon - 8 Year Age Statement?

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was at the Barton Distillery yesterday for a tour, and was hoping that they would have some in their gift shop. No such luck.

Hey guys sorry for the late response it was an awesome pour! I am located in Augusta GA. My city only received 6 bottles and i was able to score 3. 1 is promised to a friend 1 i opened and am enjoying and the last one is a spare just in case i cant find it again. I find it to me similar to OWA but a little sweeter and a little less of the oak taste. The nose is awesome! All and all for the price point it is a definate great buy! I hope it doesnt end up being a one time release.

i heard decantur GA and Atlanta got some in too! dont know exactly where just saw other guys in the group post they found some as well.

Smaller stores that do fair but not stellar Sazerac business (1 -2 private barrels of product a year) got a three pack. I'm not sure how many the big retailers got.

This is the one thing I would break my buying hiatus for. I stopped in to a store that just got a private barrel of the small batch 1792 but the guys working the counter (not the owner) had not heard of the sweet wheat yet but that is not surprising as it just went live on the state pricing site a week or two ago.

Just picked three bottles up today during lunch will try it after work

What was price paid?

picked up a bottle in Sumter SC today for 37.99. won't be able to report back until tomorrow though.

I picked up a bottle for $41 after tax at Stateline between DE/MD. Opened up it last night and it was what I expected from a wheater. My initial impressions were nice fruit notes, with a little creaminess as well. This one has a lot of rum like qualities to it as well. Really lovely the coconut oil coming from the nose. The taste is equally as sweet and creamy but god damn the finish is quite...astringent. A lot of barrel char and tannin in the backend. I'd say its on par with OWA107, maybe a little bit more aged, but if this was priced a little lower...say around $30 or so and was more easily available, (more so than OWA) I would pick this stuff up instead in a heartbeat.

Thanx for your thoughts, Zillah!

Kind of what I expected, and what I hoped for. Now, if it EVER shows up on shelves in the Mitten State.....

Agreed - much appreciated, Z.

I don't think there's any rush - I'm pretty sure BT saw a wheater crunch coming, and there's most likely 7yrs of stock that will now flow steadily out of Barton for a good while. We'll all get our bottles. If things cool off just a little bit we might even get to pick a barrel in a few years...

Just had my first pour...

It reminds me of a slightly younger Weller 12. I've never been big on posting tasting notes but here's what I got. You have the archetypal wheat nose, with a bit more wood and a little bit of clove. That carries over to the taste, typical wheat, definitely a candied caramel clove note on the palate too. Like a glazed ham almost, minus the ham notes. :)

Back end has a hint of the wood you'd expect from something aged in the decade range, give or take.

This is a winner.

Paid 37.99 + tax in Sumter, SC

229a162ca006628ea2154ba9285fc85a.jpg

Thanks for posting TXPete. Sumter, huh? I was stationed at Shaw in the early '80s. I loved it!

I haven't seen 1792 Sweet Wheat in Indy yet. Binny's said they didn't have it either. As Black Tot says it will show up soon enough.

Yessir! I live outside of Charleston in Goose Creek, but I was in Sumter for my kids travel ball tournament. We get plenty of F16's flying overhead from Shaw here in Charleston.

Not sure if you heard about the F16 crash in Moncks Corner, very sad day.

Thanks for serving!

I picked up a few bottles in Odenton, MD. It's a nice pour for $39.99. If you like wheaters it a good deal. It's no WLW bit a nice bourbon for the price.

Just had my first pour...

It reminds me of a slightly younger Weller 12. I've never been big on posting tasting notes but here's what I got. You have the archetypal wheat nose, with a bit more wood and a little bit of clove. That carries over to the taste, typical wheat, definitely a candied caramel clove note on the palate too. Like a glazed ham almost, minus the ham notes. :)

Back end has a hint of the wood you'd expect from something aged in the decade range, give or take.

This is a winner.

Paid 37.99 + tax in Sumter, SC

229a162ca006628ea2154ba9285fc85a.jpg

Nice notes, TP. I believe that candied clove thing is the Barton house style, of which I also detected during my initial tastings of this whiskey. I would describe it differently, as we all do in these things, but as Gary Gillman would say, we're recognizing the same things....just giving it different names. I was glad to see it carry over to this new wheater, as I enjoy Barton whiskey. I'm with you, that this bourbon is a winner.

Anyone else really like the bottle? Its got a very refined, art decco thing going on. No frills, just class.

Yessir! I live outside of Charleston in Goose Creek, but I was in Sumter for my kids travel ball tournament. We get plenty of F16's flying overhead from Shaw here in Charleston.

Not sure if you heard about the F16 crash in Moncks Corner, very sad day.

Thanks for serving!

I did hear that. Yes, it was sad. Coastal Carolina is awesome! Myrtle Beach south to Savannah, GA. Beautiful area of the country.

Well these early reports have me pondering another question for those more knowledgeable - is this a typical release pattern for a new and/or limited run offering? I mean, I would've expected a bourbon from, say Virginia, to show up on Virginia shelves early on then move out. This one wasn't even available at the distillery tour (the Bardstown one at least) but is showing up a few state lines' away. I've been casually and randomly checking different stores in the Louisville/Radcliff/E-town areas over the past month+ as I'm out and about, and finally progressed from the "blank stare" to " don't have it yet" this weekend.

Not trying to blow this out of proportion, but being new to bourbon, I'm just curious if this is typical marketing/distribution. Or is this what happens as stores honor regular/well informed customers' requests to "set a bottle aside when it comes in" - it can take awhile in some areas before unspoken-for bottles make their way to the shelves.

I suspect the whole Bourbon market is atypical at the present time. Almost topsy-turvy compared to what it was just a few years ago.

This seems to be following the pattern of limited edition releases so far.

Stores in Florida are getting these as of last week. One in North FL has a case and one in Central FL got 3 bottles last Friday. I have the store in North Fl holding a bottle for me.

Stores in Florida are getting these as of last week. One in North FL has a case and one in Central FL got 3 bottles last Friday. I have the store in North Fl holding a bottle for me.

Thanks for the heads up! They sold out pretty much instantly here in Louisville, so when i saw your post I called my dad in Florida and he was able to scare up 2 bottles for me.

Anyone else really like the bottle? Its got a very refined, art decco thing going on. No frills, just class.

i like the barton bottle design. it's simple and elegant. less is more, i say.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.